Zip lining and fear of heights

Mrs. Wilburforce

My sister has asked me to post this question on her behalf. She is a healthy, fit 66 year old who has a terrible fear of heights. She signed up for the zip line at the insistence of one of our travel companions. The travel companion says sister's fear should not be an issue, however sister is extremely concerned.

I have 2 questions: Will her fear of heights be an issue? (it's very intense) and will she be able to turn back at any point in the zip line if she becomes too anxious to continue.

You might be wondering why she's even trying this. There are 3 of us and I have severe arthritis in my shoulders or I would go in her place. The other cruiser won't go alone on the tour and we're trying to accommodate her as it is her number one reason for going.

Thanks in advance.

There is more than one zip line in Costa Rica, but the one I did was very high up. Had to rappel down the tree at the end of the zip line. Probably not something that someone with a fear of heights should do.

Thank you for responding, and my sister thanks you. She really doesn't want to do this and is stressing over it. Hopefully this will settle the issue.

I hate to be an obvious bung hole but if her fear of heights is "very intense" then it's almost a stupid question. Why travel thousands of miles from home and pay to do something you know you don't like. Some zip lines are not high above the ground but at the minimum you are still strapped into a harness, hung from a cable and sent coasting downhill with no control. Not exactly a calming experience unless you are into it. Add to that the steep hills and deep valleys of Costa Rica and it sounds bad. Tell your sister she's on vacation and she should do what she wants and is comfortable doing.

I am afraid of heights but enjoy riding roller coasters. Because they move so quickly they don't make me anxious. I thought the zip line would be the same but I found that I was very anxious. I got through it without a full scale panic attach but really didn't enjoy it. I hope this helps your sister.

[quote=Mrs. Wilburforce;30899773 The other cruiser won't go alone on the tour and we're trying to accommodate her as it is her number one reason for going.

Thanks in advance.

So your "friend" wants to do the zip line and is unwilling to do it by herself so she is trying to pressure your sister to accompany her - even though your sister doesn't want to. Did I get that right?

With "friends" like that, who needs enemies.

DON

So your "friend" wants to do the zip line and is unwilling to do it by herself so she is trying to pressure your sister to accompany her - even though your sister doesn't want to. Did I get that right?

With "friends" like that, who needs enemies.

DON

You have pretty much summed up what, I believe, could make for an unpleasant cruise experience. The "friend" is very clingy. My sister and I are each plotting our own alone time on the ship, which is really sad. I've traveled overseas alone. I don't mind and sometimes, well most of the time, like to do my own exploring. My husband and I are great on cruises because we're similar in this respect.

Sister will probably pay the money and go and simply wait for her and if that's not possible, friend will just have to put her big girl pants on and do it with

the group sans sister and me.

Thanks for your input, everyone. I think my sis will get a kick out of these answers. Pilot Guy, you made me laugh so hard it sounded like steam escaping from a tea kettle :D

I'm 66 and have done several zip lines, but I am not that afraid of heights. We did a zip line in Costa Rica a couple of years ago--probably not the same one Princess uses--that had about 25 different stations and went over waterfalls and a river.

It was extremely awesome, but we were high up at times. Depending on the zipline, she probably may not be able to quit in the middle and just walk down--it would have been difficult to impossible on this one, which was quite long over jungle.

On a smaller one we did in Roatan it would have been possible, though not much fun, to opt out and walk to the bottom. A couple of people did on our zip.

If she is truly that afraid of heights, then this isn't for her, but she might find that it is not all that scary; you do feel secure in the harness and the guides are usually very, very helpful and safety conscious.

Definitely find out before she starts zipping if she can get off after the first zip; walking back one shorter length might not be that bad. Also find out if there is any rappelling, which is harder, and/or rope or plank bridges to cross--those are fun but do take some physical ability (you are still in harness).

It is not worth it to your sister to "go along" to appease this needy friend. The dread of having to do this will affect her entire cruise experience.

We ziplined a few years ago in Whistler BC. Another couple was skiing with us and decided to join us for the ziplining even though the gal has extreme anxiety attacks over a variety of situations. While she did make it thru the experience, she certainly didn't enjoy it and her intense reactions to each of the 5 lines impacted our enjoyment of the experience as well.

We are booked with a private guide for Costa Rica to the Veragua Rain Forest who gives an option to do the aerial tram or zipline there and will split the group depending on which they prefer. Maybe something like that could work for sister and "friend"?

Thank you Everyone for your kind feedback.

This cruise started as just my Sis and me on the QV to celebrate her birthday. Then I found I wouldn't be able to go, so she asked needy friend and got a yes and they settled on Island Princess. A month later I found I could go and Sis was elated. We upgraded to a minisuite and all was well...except that one of the conditions needy friend set was the zip line experience.

Now you know the rest of the story :eek:

Honestly, I'd love to go and wish I didn't have this danged arthritis or I would happily take her place. I don't think she should have to pay a hundred dollars to babysit. Needy friend keeps trying to convince that all will be well...if wishes were horses :mad:

We are all getting along well and want to keep it that way. I'm staying on board the ship that day as a vacation from my vacation hoping to score a chair in the Sanctuary. I think Sis will be happy to hang out as long as she doesn't have to zip. Sis is not a member, but has read all of the advice and we both thank you for sharing your experiences and helping her not feel guilty about just saying no :cool:

Your friend will not be alone, especially if she is doing a ship-sponsored excursion. You form little groups of maybe 10 people and go through the whole experience as a group. It won't be like she will have to zip through the jungle all by herself. The zipline tours are popular and I am sure the friend will have company, without forcing your sister to face her fear of heights if she does not want to.

• 3 weeks later...

Your friend who wants your Sis to over come her abject fear of heights in order to have compnay is not a very good friend. I have one question for her. Would she be willing to put her own fear of something aside to go with your sister just for company? Probably not. So let her go on a ship's excursion with many other people and let the one scared of heights go somewhere else or remain on the ship. I am also scared of heights and have overcome it a few times. But their are certian things I WILL NOT DO EVEN FOR MY WIFE. Sorry but a vacation is not the time to press another person into having a bad cruise. Tell your friend (who many would ask - Is she really a friend to do this to your Sis) should get over it and go and not tempt fate for another.

• 2 weeks later...

If your sister decides to go anyway, let me give her a hint. Sit down in the harness and push gently away from the platform to start your descent on the zip line. I figured this trick out myself the summer when I could not will myself to step off a zip line platform but wasn't about indulge in a drama-queen moment and put a damper on everyone else's day. Turns out, I loved Zipping down the line, but never could overcome my fear of "stepping" off the platform.

Archived