Eating Lunch in the MDR on Embarkation Day and other questions

Dreamer757

Having never sailed on Princess before I don't know if we are able to eat in the MDR on Embarkation Day.

Also, can we eat in the MDR for breakfast and lunch (when it is open) if we have selected anytime dining for dinner?

Does the Sapphire Princess have the Sanctuary?

Thanks in advance!

Having never sailed on Princess before I don't know if we are able to eat in the MDR on Embarkation Day.

Also, can we eat in the MDR for breakfast and lunch (when it is open) if we have selected anytime dining for dinner?

Thanks in advance!

You can have lunch in the MDR on embarkation day, but they have a small window when they are open. I think I remember it's 12-1:30. So, if you are interested in having lunch there, I would board as early as possible, as some have had problems arriving late and being refused entrance.

Yes, breakfast and lunch are served (open seating) in the MDR also. But recently they have closed the MDR for lunch on port days (depending on arrival time), but all sea days it is open for both breakfast and lunch, although I can not remember the times.

The Sapphire goes into drydock in January, but they are supposed to be installing the Sanctuary in the next couple of weeks while it is still sailing with a full passenger load. Will have to let you know how speedy they did this when we board on the 22nd.

Thanks in advance!

I just got off the Sapphire. We had lunch in the MDR room on embarkation day (12:00-1:30 p.m.). Boarding started at 11:30, so get on early if you want to have lunch in the MDR. The MDR was closed on port days, but open sea days from 12:00-1:30 p.m. The MDR was open for breakfast daily. The hours were 7:00-9:00 a.m. on port days and 7:30-9:30 a.m. on sea days. On the day of disembarkation breakfast hours were 6:30-8:30 a.m. Sanctuary is being installed right now on the Sapphire.

We much prefer to eat in the MDR during all parts of the cruise. Our last cruise was on the Golden for Alaska in July. We boarded fairly early in Seattle, I think we were on board by 11am and had the option of going to the MDR for lunch, however the staff that checked us in at the terminal and the shipboard staff all pointed us toward the Horizon Court (buffet).

My wife and I meandered around the ship after we dropped our carry-ons and did notice one of the MDRs open and apparently serving lunch, however we had a large, late breakfast in Seattle and didn't feel like lunch. About 1:30 or 2pm we started to feel a bit hungry and dropped by the International Cafe for a snack and that served as our lunch.

In short, if you want to avoid the buffet on embarkation day, or any day for that matter, go to the IC. The selection is excellent, everything tastes great and is fresh.

Another point to think about, on the port days where we took a break from the port by going back on board a great option for dining aside from the IC is the burger/hot dog bar and pizza place up on the lido deck. Absolutely wonderful pizza and the burgers and hot dogs are very satisfying.

But the buffet is the busiest on embarkation day and during normal dining hours. If you are dining on off peak times there is no crowd and the place is fairly comfortable and quite.

The Sapphire does not have the International Cafe yet, but will get it in January in drydock.

It does not matter if you have traditional or anytime dining you can always eat in the MDR for breakfast and lunch whenever it is open. Breakfast and lunch are open seating in the MDR.

Archived