Seasickness patch no longer available? Any alternatives?

SnowshoeCat

http://www.ashp.org/DrugShortages/Current/bulletin.aspx?id=837

Scopolamine Transdermal Patch

[26 October 2011]

Products Affected - Description

Transderm Scop, 1.5 mg transdermal system, Baxter

1.5 mg, 10 count (NDC 10019-0553-01)

1.5 mg, 24 count (NDC 10019-0553-02)

Transderm Scop, 1.5 mg transdermal system, Novartis

1.5 mg, 4 count (NDC 00067-4345-04)

Reason for the Shortage

- Baxter and Novartis state the shortage is due to increased demand.

Available Products

- None readily available

Estimated Resupply Dates

•Baxter has Transderm Scop in 10 and 24 count packages on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.

•Novartis has Transderm Scop in 4 count packages on intermittent back order and the company is releasing product as it becomes available.

My parents are cruising next month. On our last cruise, we hit a storm with very high seas, and a nauseating time was had by all. Except my parents - they were fine. My mother had the prescription patch. When she went to get a new prescription for this year's cruise, she was told it is no longer available.

Does anybody know why? Is there a replacement? Thanks for any info.

Lots of people had problems with it. Info here

TRANSDERM SCOP: Side effects, ratings, and patient comments

• 3 weeks later...
My parents are cruising next month. On our last cruise, we hit a storm with very high seas, and a nauseating time was had by all. Except my parents - they were fine. My mother had the prescription patch. When she went to get a new prescription for this year's cruise, she was told it is no longer available.

Does anybody know why? Is there a replacement? Thanks for any info.

DH & DD both got the patch for our October cruise this year. Maybe that pharmacy doesn't stock them (for some reason)?

:)

Used patch once--- didn't like the feeling it gave us, but we used it throughout the cruise because the seas were rough and we didn't want to risk getting sick. Next cruise we took Bonine-- loved using it, and they give it out free on the cruise.

Transderm Scop has a long tarnished history. Considering the active drug, Scopolamine is a poison, there is no surprise. At one point it was removed from the market for more then a year as the manufactuer tried to deal with drug

release issues that led to some nasty side effects. Most cruise ship physicians can attest to the fact that the current variation still causes some very nasty side effects in a small percentage of users. This is why you will not find cruise ship physicians using the drug and will seldom to ever see any crew member using this drug. For some it works great..but for others it can be a real "nightmare." The best Transderm Scop tale we heard was from a doctor on a HA ship who had to treat an elderly lady they found wondering the halls late one night. The problem was she was wearing no clothes...nothing....nada. The poor thing had no clue as the drug had somehow put her into some kind of trance. Actually, if you read the drug companies own side effect list it does say (among many other things) .......can cause "confusion, agitation, extreme fear, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior;" In the case of DW it caused her vison to slightly blur which prevented her from being able to read. I had no side effects other then dry mouth. But we swore-off the stuff years ago in favor of Meclizine HcL (sold as prescription Antivert or over the counter as Bonine or Dramamine II) Please not that Dramamine II is not the same drug as Dramamine,

Hank

Archived