Price reduction and now will not honor

SASSYIN2

We have sailed on RC for 9 times and always book onboard to get the best discounts. Each year as we get close to holiday cruise time, the rates have gone down and we either got shipboard credit or money back on CC. Now this year- hubby and my room went down $400 and our son, daughter in law and babies room went down $500, and they are renigging saying new policy, no shipboard credit. What bad customer service. Means I will be either not booking until right before we go next time or change cruise lines.

We have sailed on RC for 9 times and always book onboard to get the best discounts. Each year as we get close to holiday cruise time, the rates have gone down and we either got shipboard credit or money back on CC. Now this year- hubby and my room went down $400 and our son, daughter in law and babies room went down $500, and they are renigging saying new policy, no shipboard credit. What bad customer service. Means I will be either not booking until right before we go next time or change cruise lines.

The rules were changed last year (I think). On the bright side...you might be eligible for an upgrade to a higher cabin category.

No one is renegging - the policy was in place when you booked. Nothing to do with customer service - the policy is what it is for everyone, not just you. Perhaps, as suggested, you could upgrade to a better cabin. Pretty much industry standard now.

Yes, you could take your chances and not book until late, but you it's also possible that prices will go up and most likely you will not get your cabin choice, but it's up to you.

Yes, been this way for awhile. I am just going to wait and book after final payment unless I want a specific room.

I have no problem with this rule and I am suprised that they ever did give obc or money back after the final payment.

New policy went into effect back on May 17th 2010....if your resi was made before the May 17th 2010 date or you are using a NCC that was purchased before that date you are grandfathered and they will honor the old rules....after May 17th 2010 and all you can do is upgrade to a higher category if the price is the same or less.

Steve, are you sure about upgrading? Prices for our December cruise went down and when I called to do an upgrade, I was told for new bookings only. It's not a Tuesday or special event sale. The new prices are still up on the website now. I'm not sure if this is now the new policy, but I'm really disappointed I can't even upgrade.

I booked a Future Cruise while on a trip twice, without having to make a specific reservation. When I finally did book a trip there was no problem with receiving OBC. On that trip we again booked a Future Cruise with nothing specific. When I booked the trip leaving next week to Spain, Portugal and the Canary Islands, I was told that all the FutureBooking would do is give me a discount which I already received as a Diamond Member and I told them when I did this second Future Booking that was not what I was told. I was furious and wrote to Crown and Anchor and finally they did give me the OBC. I would never do a Future Booking again.

Carnival has it's Early Saver Program that gives you onboard credit for any price drops even after final payment.

And which cruise line are you going to move to? They all have some type of policies in place to protect them from giving you a refund or OBC. If you were happy with the price when you booked, then why are you complaining now?:rolleyes:

Agree with the above - it's not industry wide as other lines do offer OBC or refunds still if the price drops.

RCCL didn't always do a great job on documenting and passing on the OBC credit to the ships. When they did have this practice, there were 2 times when it wasn't on my account when I boarded. I'm guessing it was too much of a nightmare to maintain records.

I know it's a disappointment to see the price drop after final payment time. They also extended the final payment time out now. Years back it was 30 days. Price is locked in once the final is done. The lower rates after that point are to fill the ship up. If you can hold out in the future, good deals can be found. I've booked many times 30 days out during and landed some great deals.

Steve, are you sure about upgrading? Prices for our December cruise went down and when I called to do an upgrade, I was told for new bookings only. It's not a Tuesday or special event sale. The new prices are still up on the website now. I'm not sure if this is now the new policy, but I'm really disappointed I can't even upgrade.

Yes.....however it can't be a special sale price "for new bookings only"....special sale prices are not always Tuesday sales only......it depends what the pricing code is and the rules of that specific code....that is something that only Royal and TA's can see.

Waiting until the last minute may not help. We have been booked for almost a year and the price has not moved a bit AND there isn't a single suite available and hasn't been for 6 months.

I would keep watching, especially 1-2 weeks before final payment is due. You may see sudden availability.

It is not only Tuesday sales that are for new bookings only. Some of these awesome weekend rates we have been seeing are New Bookings Only. Sometimes Category Guarantee rates (Z,Y,X and W) are New Bookings Only. You just have to call and ask, it is not clearly outlined online unfortunately.

Carnival has it's Early Saver Program that gives you onboard credit for any price drops even after final payment.

This is commonly misconstrued on this board. There are a lot of restrictions and your deposit is in penalty well before it would normally be. It cannot be combined with other discounts and promotions and is restricted as to when you can book.

It is not only Tuesday sales that are for new bookings only. Some of these awesome weekend rates we have been seeing are New Bookings Only. Sometimes Category Guarantee rates (Z,Y,X and W) are New Bookings Only. You just have to call and ask, it is not clearly outlined online unfortunately.

This is commonly misconstrued on this board. There are a lot of restrictions and your deposit is in penalty well before it would normally be. It cannot be combined with other discounts and promotions and is restricted as to when you can book.

I booked a family cruise using CCL Early Saver feature and lost big, Big, BIG time. Always be sure to read that fine print and talk with your TA not just at the TA or you may miss out on some imprortant info.

When I book, whenever it is, I make sure I am happy with the price then and the cabin then. IF I get an OBC or can upgrade for the same (or about the same rate), or even if I woule be graced by a visit from that mystical UG Fairy, then it would be the so called roses on the frostening on the cake! I don't expect it but would sure accept it!

I booked a family cruise using CCL Early Saver feature and lost big, Big, BIG time. Always be sure to read that fine print and talk with your TA not just at the TA or you may miss out on some imprortant info.

When I book, whenever it is, I make sure I am happy with the price then and the cabin then. IF I get an OBC or can upgrade for the same (or about the same rate), or even if I woule be graced by a visit from that mystical UG Fairy, then it would be the so called roses on the frostening on the cake! I don't expect it but would sure accept it!

Not that I ever plan to cruise Carnival but what went wrong with ES? It sounds like a great arrangement and I wish X offered it. I don't mind a nonrefundable deposit especially since it can be transferred for a nominal fee.

Not getting the price reduction and obc is not across the board on ALL lines. We have an upcoming cruise on Carnival in December, and everytime our price has gone down we have gotten the reduction. We now have an obc of $60 per cabin. AND, this was even AFTER we have paid in full. Also, along with the obc, we also had a reduction in the amount we paid from booking time. Sorry for the error in the title....S/B PRICE

As has been mentioned, Carnival's Early Saver rate is the only rate Carnival offers that protects the price and that rate comes with restrictions. If there's a past guest rate with an upgrade or some kind of a cash back or onboard credit offer, none are combinable with the Early Saver rate. With the Early Saver rate the deposit is non-refundable right away. You can't change guests with the Early Saver rate. If the girlfriends decide to take a cruise and then one changes her mind you can't just change a name. And if you make a change to the ship and sail date there is a $50 per person charge for that. And that's before final payment. After final payment the penalty is the same as a regular booking. You also have to book at least 3 months in advance for a 3-5 night cruise and 5 months in advance for a 6 night or longer cruise.

Now that's not to say that the Early Saver rate is any better or worse as like most things it depends on the individual and their cruising habits and perferences. However the restrictions are part of the program and should be mentioned when comparing the policies for price drops after final payment from different cruise lines.

As has been mentioned, Carnival's Early Saver rate is the only rate Carnival offers that protects the price and that rate comes with restrictions. If there's a past guest rate with an upgrade or some kind of a cash back or onboard credit offer, none are combinable with the Early Saver rate. With the Early Saver rate the deposit is non-refundable right away. You can't change guests with the Early Saver rate. If the girlfriends decide to take a cruise and then one changes her mind you can't just change a name. And if you make a change to the ship and sail date there is a $50 per person charge for that. And that's before final payment. After final payment the penalty is the same as a regular booking. You also have to book at least 3 months in advance for a 3-5 night cruise and 5 months in advance for a 6 night or longer cruise.

Now that's not to say that the Early Saver rate is any better or worse as like most things it depends on the individual and their cruising habits and perferences. However the restrictions are part of the program and should be mentioned when comparing the policies for price drops after final payment from different cruise lines.

Sounds like the Early Saver rate is great for those that know they won't have to cancel or make any changes. Think I will pass.

Not that I ever plan to cruise Carnival but what went wrong with ES? It sounds like a great arrangement and I wish X offered it. I don't mind a nonrefundable deposit especially since it can be transferred for a nominal fee.

You cannot make any name changes. You cannot use it with any other promotions (upgrade, past guest pricing, onboard credit - nothing) and per the actual terms it is non transferable which means at any point they can get rid of that "nominal fee" and make it so you simply cannot change. Is that likely? No. But they can, and that must be considered.

Exactly. It frustrates me to no end when people come here and refute statements that RCI's policy is in line with the industry by stating that Carnival's ES allows for reductions after final with NO mention of the multiple restrictions which makes it a bad idea for many guests.

Sounds like the Early Saver rate is great for those that know they won't have to cancel or make any changes. Think I will pass.

Exactly. It is good for a small portion of the public.

ES on Carnival is always the best rate at the time. You CAN change things but there is a $50 fee. It worked out awesome for us and we ended up with a $360 OBC. Yes, you have to committ 3 or 4 months prior to the cruise.

ES on Carnival is always the best rate at the time. You CAN change things but there is a $50 fee. It worked out awesome for us and we ended up with a $360 OBC. Yes, you have to committ 3 or 4 months prior to the cruise.

True, it is (almost always) the best rate at the time. However, there are still many restrictions and it is a disservice not to mention them.

True, it is (almost always) the best rate at the time. However, there are still many restrictions and it is a disservice not to mention them.

Yes I agree there are restrictions but if you do your homework and read the info you know what you are agreeing to and how to get the OBC.

Archived