Chops

mosbill

Celebrating my sister's bday at Chops. How is service and food?

Oasis 10/22 sailing:p

The service was great - our server, Arian from Trinidad & Tobago, was very friendly and wanted to know more about DW and I and where we were from and what North Carolina was like. Food was amazing. Easily one of the best steaks I've ever had. My only advice for dessert is to stay away from the red velvet cake. It's a little overwhelming, a little dry, and humongous. DW had the creme brulee which they torched tableside. Also don't be afraid to ask for more than one sauce to accompany your steak - the chimichurri mixed with the cabernet reduction was great. Sides were pretty good - the baked potato was nice and fluffy, the asparagus was quite good as were the mushrooms and leeks. The mashed potatoes were a bit of a let down - they were good when w first got them but then got a little too stiff for our tastes.

The service was great - our server, Arian from Trinidad & Tobago, was very friendly and wanted to know more about DW and I and where we were from and what North Carolina was like. Food was amazing. Easily one of the best steaks I've ever had. My only advice for dessert is to stay away from the red velvet cake. It's a little overwhelming, a little dry, and humongous. DW had the creme brulee which they torched tableside. Also don't be afraid to ask for more than one sauce to accompany your steak - the chimichurri mixed with the cabernet reduction was great. Sides were pretty good - the baked potato was nice and fluffy, the asparagus was quite good as were the mushrooms and leeks. The mashed potatoes were a bit of a let down - they were good when w first got them but then got a little too stiff for our tastes.
Thanks for the info

We were on the Sept 10th sailing and LOVED Chops. We started with the shrimp cocktail for me (it was good, that's something that's hard to mess up!) and hubby had the crab cakes - TO.DIE.FOR! So delicious. Entrees were the 10 oz filet mignon for me (couldn't finish it) and hubby had the rib eye steak. Both arrived at our table steaming hot and cooked to perfection. For sides we shared mashed potatoes and broccolini - both were delicious. Desserts were red velvet cake and chocolate mud pie. We loved both of them. We felt the service was fantastic. We regularly dine in upscale restaurants at home and felt the service was on par with what we're used to - our server was very attentive and had some good wine recommendations for us. This was one of our favourite specialty restaurants on the ship (we loved Izumi as well) and we tried to make a second reservation but nothing worked out with the timing of the shows we had booked. We both felt it was well worth the cost though. And fyi, if you go to the MDR, you can order the 10 oz filet mignon from Chops for an extra $14.95 (you can also order lobster & steak from Chops in the MDR for $34.95). On the few nights that we ate in the MDR, we both ordered the Chops filet and it was fabulous each time.

Edited to add - the baked potatoes at Chops are HUGE! Biggest baked potatoes I've ever seen in my life. Honestly, four people could eat off one baked potato and be satisfied, so keep that in mind if everyone at your table wants a baked potato, lol!

How many sides is each person allowed to order? Could DH and I both order a vegetable, and then also ask for a baked potato to split?

Thank you!

You can! I just looked through my photos and found a shot of our table at Chops. I forgot that we ordered one other side dish...I can't recall exactly what it was but I think it was a potato dish, so we did have three sides between the two of us.

Hey Rhonda:

You can order as many sides as you want! Potatoes - the Baked Potatoes

are huge! Also mashed, I think Steak Fries, Yams, Lyonaisse.

Vegetables - Spinach, Asparagus, Green Beans, Broccoli - many choices, I remember the Asparagus being great! We had 2 orders

The only limitation I am aware of is the entree.

I experienced Chops on Freedom of the Seas and thought the service was superb and the food was great. It is a great 2 hour experience to slow down, taste the flavours, and be attended to like queens. The food portions are great. I agree with the other poster about the sauce for the filet mignon....they brought us a sample tasting of 6 different sauces. Then we ordered the dessert sampler and it was amazing. You won't be disappointed!

We are Chops fans! Our experience on Freedom was better than Oasis, but that was just due to our server. We absolutely love Chops and have it booked again for our upcoming Allure cruise. There have been reviews that have said food and/or service was not up to par, but I think it just depends on the server and chef that night. We have been to top end steak restaurants on land and had an "off" night, it happens at even the best of places.

Every time I look at the menu I see something else that I want, I think making choices at Chops were some of the hardest decisions I have had on a cruise :p

We both had horrible filets. Very pink inside but VERY dry. I actually thought there must be a touch of microwaving there to get such an outcome. We did not want to reorder because of the time involved & our show reservations.

My husband originally wanted to order the shortribs but was advised by our server not to. She said these were cooked onshore & merely reheated on the ship. I think they still would have been a better choice.

The side dishes were very good & the service great.

We normally do not do pay restaurants because we find the main dining room good & never found these other restaurants much better. We had a coupon from our TA.

Next we get a coupon we will try Giovanni's.

this was on the Oasis last month

Archived