A Taste of Disappointment

janeba

Wish i had found this thread a year ago . Even though i got 'a free upgrade' i was not impressed with the food, waiting staff in Britannia Grill. We were so massively dissapointed with the Queen Mary it may take us a long time we consider another Cunard Cruise !:(
We all have different tastes and expectations, enjoy various aspects of a ship and voyage. From what I've seen in photos and videos, researched, observed when watching some of their ships leave Southampton (:eek:) and heard of P&O from passengers, I am almost certain I'd dislike many aspects of their ships, while finding a few other parts pleasant. You have found a line that suits your tastes, and so have I, so we both win :) .

(Is it possible that your Cunard voyage was on the old QE2? And you're mistaken about the year of your voyage? I ask because that ship had a Britannia Grill, while the QM2 doesn't, the newer liner has a Queens and a Princess Grill).

Very best wishes for your next cruise, Bon Voyage! :) .

We all have different tastes and expectations, enjoy various aspects of a ship and voyage. From what I've seen in photos and videos, researched, observed when watching some of their ships leave Southampton (:eek:) and heard of P&O from passengers, I am almost certain I'd dislike many aspects of their ships, while finding a few other parts pleasant. You have found a line that suits your tastes, and so have I, so we both win :) .

(Is it possible that your Cunard voyage was on the old QE2? And you're mistaken about the year of your voyage? I ask because that ship had a Britannia Grill, while the QM2 doesn't, the newer liner has a Queens and a Princess Grill).

Very best wishes for your next cruise, Bon Voyage! :) .

:confused: Maybe this poster meant Britannia Club?

:confused: Maybe this poster meant Britannia Club?
You could be right, it is either Britannia Club on QM2 or Britannia Grill on QE2. 50% chance either way!

But I've heard nothing but good reports of QM2's 'Club from new and experienced passengers alike... so that is why I thought "well it can't be that".

Best wishes.

As with everything I do, well almost, I approach things with an open mind, fair expectations and having done some research.

I had a wonderful time on my 2 night QM2 trip. It absolutely reaffirmed that I was going to enjoy my upcoming TA, and the cheap, 2 night "taster" served it's purpose of exposing me to something I was going to be doing a few months later, giving me the chance to make sure I felt comfortable before paying the final payment.

Everyone has different tastes and has different ideas of what something will be.

Same in my job. What I do, for some, will be spot on, for others I will have done something terribly. I simply can't please everyone.

I absolutely think that it is the luck of the draw. It's been our experience on many longer trips. I certainly agree that the longer trips give you a chance to really settle in. I still have to wonder why service was considered to be so bad on the shorter trip??? Good service is afterall, good service.....especially in the bar areas. The Cunard experince is supposed to be one of the best and I have convince my husband twice a year that it is worth the extra money. And it is...Every time. :)

Having sailed on many shorter cruises on "other" lines, I've never experienced the chaos presented here nor did we need a "settling in" period! Maybe because the other lines do shorter cruises as a matter of course? The waiters and room stewards have always been efficient and courteous.

I am sailing on the QM2 (for only the 2nd time) in 3 weeks and now I am getting nervous that the experience will not live up to expectations! :eek:

"whether short or longer, the slashing of fares attracts a different social demographic - this is common sense."

I'm not sure I agree...just because someone can only afford a cruise with discounted fares, does not mean that they are lacking in social graces. I have seen plenty of VERY wealthy people, who don't know the proper way to act in various social situations! Money doesn't always buy you class....;)

Wow, okay. I didn't know they had to show a profit for each voyage. You're 100% correct in that it's a false economy to cheapen the experience as all it does is put off prospective future customers.

Why do they bother with huge discounts and 'kids sail free' for a particular customer group (the Germans in your case) but keep the fares near their original level for everyone else? Surely if they reduced the fares overall then people from all over would book and they wouldn't need to resort to a last minute fire sale.

For instance, I would book now for 2013 if I wasn't 90% sure that I'll get a better discount if I wait until much closer to the date.

I agree!

Further, I would like to know when they are offering these cheap, cheap fares and "kids sail free" and on which sailings they are being offered, so that I may make an informed decision as to whether that is a sailing I may want to take...or not!

"whether short or longer, the slashing of fares attracts a different social demographic - this is common sense."

I'm not sure I agree...just because someone can only afford a cruise with discounted fares, does not mean that they are lacking in social graces. I have seen plenty of VERY wealthy people, who don't know the proper way to act in various social situations! Money doesn't always buy you class....;)

I agree that money doesn't buy social graces. By far the worst behavior we have seen on Cunard was from a family travelling in QG. We were frequently unable to get into the elevators as their teenagers were lying on the floor in front of them. The parents made no attempt to control them, and their behavior spoiled the voyage for several other passengers. Apparently their suites were unusable for the subsequent cruise.:(

I was concerned about what the 3 day trip I did with my Mum on QE was going to be like after reading this thread. I didn't need to be, the 3 day trip was no different than the 14 day voyage I had done just before, it was wonderful and I was lucky to meet some really fantastic CC people.

Nothing is guaranteed, and experiences and expectations do vary. I too hope that QM2 doesn't let us down in 3 weeks time. She has not let me down before!:)

I agree that money doesn't buy social graces. By far the worst behavior we have seen on Cunard was from a family travelling in QG. We were frequently unable to get into the elevators as their teenagers were lying on the floor in front of them. The parents made no attempt to control them, and their behavior spoiled the voyage for several other passengers. Apparently their suites were unusable for the subsequent cruise.:(

I was concerned about what the 3 day trip I did with my Mum on QE was going to be like after reading this thread. I didn't need to be, the 3 day trip was no different than the 14 day voyage I had done just before, it was wonderful and I was lucky to meet some really fantastic CC people.

Nothing is guaranteed, and experiences and expectations do vary. I too hope that QM2 doesn't let us down in 3 weeks time. She has not let me down before!:)

I feel sure all will be fine on our sailing!! While there are frequently petty annoyances on any vacation, I try to make the best of it and enjoy all the good experiences!

We need to get a group together and try to get some of those Milky Way Martinis!

See you in 3 weeks! :D

Kings Court should be renamed to something less prestigious. It is far and away the worst buffet for choice, quality and decor we have ever encountered.

Have been on QM2 twice now - and would have to agree with you. I just love QM2 - but the Kings Court would be the worst buffet restaurant on any ship that I have sailed on - including those that are commonly claimed to be only "3 star".

Barry

Have been on QM2 twice now - and would have to agree with you. I just love QM2 - but the Kings Court would be the worst buffet restaurant on any ship that I have sailed on - including those that are commonly claimed to be only "3 star".

Barry

It is the worst place on an otherwise lovely ship. And it's a shame, because I prefer to have breakfast and lunch at the buffet because I can make healthy choices (lots of fruit and breakfast and a salad for lunch) and am not tempted to have a full meal.

The food at KC is all right. What drives me crazy is that each section is organized differently, so I never know where to find the things I want. And Lord help you if you want something that isn't out. Like cookies! Why were there NO cookies to be had at the buffet at lunch???? You can ask for them, but you have to ask a "suit," who will find a waiter and send him/her off to a pantry while you stand around and wait.

I have found my solution to my issues with KC--I learn my way around one section, and always get my food there. It helps that we tend to be on an early schedule when we travel, so we don't end up in the buffet at peak times when you can't find a table.

I think you'll have a fine time.

Archived