What to do on Princess Cay??

did look under ports section,,but nothing specific for Regent cruises,,,is it just a beach day,,no excursions offered..what did you enjoy?

Unless theres some shade,,really can t see sitting on beach all day,,,is buffet or food inc.,,and drinks,,??

Thanks in advance..:)

As a private beach island, there is a sole option which is the beach party. No cost and it included all the beach features plus food and drink. There were some opportunities to spend money in gift shops and craft stores, but if that doesn't attract you, then just a nice day at the beach.

Not our favorite port stop (but good for those who enjoy lying on the beach and/or swimming for hours). We walked around for a few minutes, tasted the food (MUCH better on board -- freshly made, etc.) The area was pretty quiet with Regent being the only ship docked.. . . . 400+ passengers in an area that holds over 2,000.

You don't have to get off the ship! There is always plenty to do on board... and in fact in our case there was too much wind to anchor and then tender when we got to Princess Cay so we didn't stop. A wonderful pool side buffet was put on instead and we all had a great time! I am not sure why they bother to stop there at all!!

Princess Cay was associated with Princess Cruises,,whew...is Regent assoc.with them too??

Glad we re only there from 8 till 2,,,so we all dont get TOO sunburned...:p

I think that Regent only pays to dock there -- no other affiliation that I'm aware of.

Trying to think of something positive to say about it. If the ship was docked at a beach in Tahiti, everyone would be happy. . . . . but this place, with all of it's chairs, etc. makes you picture what it would be like with thousands of people. It does have beautiful water:rolleyes:

Princess Cay as well as a number of other islands in the Caribbean are tender ports for virtually every cruise line sailing in those waters.

They are all the same...a tender ride..lots of sun, if that kind of day...option to rent canopy umbrellas or other water related equipment...sometimes some junk souvenir shops...and usually having the cruise line set up some sort of BBQ or? Regent provides drinks free-most other lines charge.

Since we are from South Florida and don't bask in the sun unless early for tennis or to get from car to wherever, in all the many years of cruising have gone in only one time to see what it was, and immediately returned to the ship.

I know most of the cruisers don't have sunshine all year long so this is certainly a treat...just as getting sunburned on the pool deck.

Dermatology is one of the most active specialties in South Florida. :(

While on the Navigator last year we had a fun stop at Princess Cay. We are not beach people and tend to go for the shade. A trio was playing where the lunch tables were. A couple of passengers got the musicians rolling after most had returned to the ship. A few passengers got completely into it and were dancing on the table (not us). What with the rum drinks and friendly spirit it made for an enjoyable couple of hours. I couldn't believe it was a Regent group of passengers. Sometimes fun shows up in unlikely places.

As a Princess Cruiser, I can tell you that the Cays is an enjoyable do nothing beach day. On a big ship (Ruby) it can be crowded. On a Regent Ship it will probably be like your own private beach. Last February we spent a delightfully relaxed day reading under a clamshell and bobbing in the gentle surf in an aqua chair. It is COLD in Philly in February and we had a lovely warm day at the beach. :):)

Sharon

Sharon,

can you give us an idea of the rental costs for clamshells, aqua chairs, snorkel equipment, cabanas, etc.? I've looked online and haven't found that info yet...

Whoops, never mind, I found it:

http://www.princess.com/find/excursion/exlistfordestination.page?t=null&portid=RSD&exType=S

Prices for amenities are near the bottom of this web page.

By the way, if you'd like a map of the Princess Cays resort, click here: http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ports/Princess_cays_map.pdf

The map is great. Does anyone know of a website that shows cruise ship schedules for Princess Cays/Eleuthera? I'd like to know if any other ships will be there when we visit on December 26 on our Mariner cruise.

-- Eric

P.S. It does seem odd that we depart Princess Cays at 2 p.m. to head for Ft. Lauderdale. It's a distance of 280 nautical miles, so if the Mariner does 20 knots -- which is listed as her cruising speed on the Regent site -- it should be able to make that distance in 14 hours. Even allowing an extra hour for getting into Ft. Lauderdale and docking, 15 hours before 8 a.m. is 5 p.m. the day before -- enough to give us a full day instead of a half day in the Bahamas. Regent for some reason builds in 3 extra hours by scheduling our departure for 2 p.m, meaning Mariner only needs to make 16.5 knots. I wonder if that's to save money on fuel by going slower, or to build in leeway in case there are headwinds?

Archived