Pancakes at Breakfast......

sail7seas

You've got that right......

as long as my doctors allow red wine :D, I'll try to live within their 'restrictions'. :)

I so agree about the fresh fruit, berries and melons. We eat them daily and I totally enjoy that I don't have to cut up the melons...... they've been peeled and sliced for me. :) I love cantaloup, honeydew, berries and sometimes a few bites of watermelon. One of my joys on a ship! It's all cut up for me.

Melons aren't the worst thing to cut(no, that award probably goes to pumpkin, or acorn squash),but I'm glad someone else does it. Can't even imagine the upper body strengths of the prep cooks on HAL ships!

They also have the boxes of cereal, but they're just not that filling.

I love pork bacon that's not crisp which is why I never order it. I know how bad it is for me.:)

I've never noticed. Is yogurt available for lunch? Mostly I see the yogurt with the fruit on the bottom and would prefer some plain Dannon yogurt.

We like to cruise with our kids and grandkids. One of my favorite memories is a 5 year old grandson choosing breakfast in the "Asian corner" - the only caucasian there- and the others looked amused but he was oblivious to everything but the good food. The rest of us ate the usual eggs and bacon.

I don't like Turkey Bacon.

And on the ships I won't order the regular pork bacon -- it is just not cooked to my liking. I want it to be real crispy!!

The bacon I see served looks to be only half cooked - very greasy looking.

We think alike! I'm fussy about how my bacon is fixed (I ask for burnt to get the point across, but am not always successful), and I do NOT like turkey bacon at all!

Normally I don't care for the chocolate croissants :eek:, but on the Prinsendam this year they were worth the fat, calories, and sugar. I saw that they were warmed, and that made all the difference. The chocolate inside was soft and a little gooey. Yummy.

I only had the one during the cruise, but it was soooo good. I may book the Prinsendam again just to have another!

Uh, oh! Now I'm really in trouble! I'd managed to avoid the chocolate croissants on the last cruise - or at least only had them a few times out of the 35 days. But if they will heat them up so the chocolate melts, I'm sunk! (Probably not the term to use on a cruise ship! ;)) Of course they may not be willing to warm them, but maybe if you asked nicely they'd do it for you. Will give it a try and see what happens. They can always say no... And I'd probably be better off if they did!

That said, my doctor actually prescribed dark chocolate for me every day. So maybe I could get it through the chocolate croissants! Hmmm....

:) I always used to love a good pancake or two at breakfast but for at least the last ten or more years, they became a no-no in my diet. We sit in Pinnacle (or occassionally Lido) at breakfast and I see those delicious looking pancakes and I get oh so tempted but so far have resisted.

How good are they? :D Worth the calories? I always was stingy with the syrup so I don't over do that but whaddyathink? Should I try a pancake or two on next cruise?

What is your idea of the perfect HAL breakfast and how well do you think they make it?

Hasn't been a fun thread here for a bit so thought we could enjoy a little fluffiness...... (groan, that the fluffy in whatever way you wish. ;) :rolleyes::eek:

Go for it! I usually have breakfast at the Pinnacle too, and they ALWAYS make me a delicious Denver Omelet. I like the home fries too...and for the first time ever, when I ordered them, they brought me homefries that were made with white potatoes and sweet potatoes...boy were they good!

BTW, the pancakes are fluffy. You only go around once so...at least get them one more time. ;)

I love the egg white omelete with sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach and once in a while will have a bit of goat cheese on it. Delicious.

Not being as slim as I used to be and sailing as often as we do, the treats really have to be wonderful or I resent the waste of calories and fat.

Thought I'd do some 'consensus' research prior to our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. :D I know I am going to have a few treats and I want them to be outstanding. ;)

If it would make you feel less guilty...just remember, you can always go for a little jaunt around the deck to work off the calories.

I always say I'll do that, but for some reason...something else always comes up that's more interesting. :D

Heaton's has incredible breakfasts... In May, I went with the oatmeal with drambuie and brown sugar prepared at the table with a great flourish.

On HAL, I like the European-style muesli with extra fruit added. Tastes just like the muesli they used to make on Royal Viking Line.

Also Chris

I like the way they make the muesli with the fruit. I'll take a bowl of that and two sausage patties and a cuppa....holds me till lunch!

You've convinced me. Pancakes it will be at least one morning. :)

Actually, we're pretty good about the walking. We wear pedometers most days when we're sailing and make sure we walk a decent amount each day. The miles do add up fast when it's so enjoyable.

I know some Michiganders who I've seen put granulated sugar on their pancakes. That looked really bad. Can't imagine eating gritty pancakes. So I'll bet somewhere someone had honey on their pancakes this morning.

Down South we use a lot of cane syrup. Now I freely admit some of this stuff can be bad, but if you get a good one it's really delicious. I realize that a lot of people from up North, including my DIL, don't like it. She enjoys agitating me and saying it should only be used to get a horse to take a bit into its mouth. I can't even get her to try it. And on top of that I can't get her to try another southern delicacy and eat just one grit, either. These are two friendly battles that I'm resigned to losing.

The whole point I'm making is that a ship has pax from all over with distinctly different regional tastes, so it might be good to have more than one type of syrup available.

I go out to breakfast every day at my favorite local restaurant. Grits are my daily food. Southern shrimp and grits are delicious too at this place.

If you're ever on the Space Coast in Florida, go to the Sun on the Beach. Best southern cooking south of the Carolinas.

BTW, the pancakes are fluffy. You only go around once so...at least get them one more time. ;)

I try to stick with cereal and fruit at least five times a week so when I order something special, it's a let-down if the food isn't what I'd hoped for. Not sure why I don't luck out with the pancakes, but I virtually never seem to get the fluffy ones. They almost always seem to be hard as a brick, whether I'm on the Lido, in the MDR, or in the Pinnacle! I love pancakes, but I'm disappointed with them more often than not - and I'm envious of people who do manage to get the fluffy ones! However, I just about always get fluffy waffles so stick with those (with an occasional switch to French toast) and am happy! :) But it wouldn't hurt for you to try the pancakes at least once. Maybe you'll have a better experience with them.

I go out to breakfast every day at my favorite local restaurant. Grits are my daily food. Southern shrimp and grits are delicious too at this place.

If you're ever on the Space Coast in Florida, go to the Sun on the Beach. Best southern cooking south of the Carolinas.

Shrimp and grits! Now there's a breakfast - or lunch-or dinner. Actually it's just about the perfect food!:p

I prefer regular bacon or a slice of ham on the occasions when I *do* indulge..turkey bacon is(IMO) gross.

I don't eat pork products, and have gotten used to the taste of turkey bacon. For me, when it's not overcooked, it's quite tasty. Reading this thread made me hungry for some, so I had a few pieces for breakfast this morning.

I will have to try a warmed chocolate croissant on my next cruise - sounds delicious. I have found the raisin buns not to be that great though. Perhaps they too would be better warmed up.

are you sure that you were in PA and not in NJ? Can't think of any detours that would land you in PA. Once you leave NJ the bridges leave you in south phila or center city. Unless you took a major many many mile detour?

If they came up Route 322 out of Atlantic City, they may have hit the Commodore Barry Bridge into Chester City. If they went North on I-95 from there towards Philadelphia, they could have diverted to any number of small towns in Eastern Delaware County before hitting the city limits at the airport.

Sorry to break in here, but I can get pancakes anywhere. I 'build' my breakfast - one split lightly toasted egg bagel (if available), a shmear of cream cheese, capers, onions, pretty red tomatoes and beautiful hand-cut smoked salmon... open-faced so it's like 2-for-1 Add a few stewed prunes and maybe some very crisp bacon and I'm ready to take a nap.

MMMM!!! Candy , I do the bagel breakfast at least once if not more. SO good!! I "build" mine the same, with a little sprinkle of lemon over it all. OJ on the side, I'm a happy cruiser!! ;)

Love me some pancakes, too. I don't ever bother making them at home, so they are a treat once in a while!

Archived