No Birth Cert. Now What

HI...you said you ordered it 6 weeks ago and I see by your countdown clock you've got another 57 days as of today, I think that you'll get it in plenty of time.....But if your anything like me, you can't hlep but worry :eek: :eek:

I'm sure you'll be fine. ;)

I would most certainly put in a call to the records dept.(or whatever dept. handles birth certificates) in that state and inquire. Six weeks is more than a reasonable time to have gotten it if the paper work was processed properly. It takes about a 20 minute wait at our state health dept. to get a certified copy. Not all states use a raised seal, BTW. Oklahoma's official bc's have a tri-colored seal, not raised. There is absolutley NO WAY you can go on a cruise without either the certified bc or a passport. Of course, you have to submit a bc in order to get a passport!

Have you tried VitalChek.com??? I don't know what state you are needing it from, so I couldn't check exact times for you, but I know they offer very quick service (I think you can get it under one week)..although you will pay more. I think I'd try them and feel at ease to at least have one right away. If your other one comes in meanwhile, then you have two!!!

I would definitely check to see where your birth cert. is. I got one a couple of yrs. ago in less than a week. I realize that procedures may vary state to state, but 6 weeks is a very long time. I got my passport in only 3 weeks without expediting it. Maybe your request was lost or misplaced?? Best of Luck!

Did you pay by check? Has the check cleared your bank? If you paid by check and it has not cleared it may be lost in the mail or went to the wrong department and is being forwarded. It will probably be a good idea to start making some telephone calls tomorrow. All vital records departments, in North Carolina or other states, that I have had a reason to request records from, have required payment up front, so if you only made a request and did not send the application fee, you probably won't even get a response from them for a while. Sounds like you do have plenty of time to resolve this problem. When I requested mine, DH and DD several years ago, I went ahead and requested 2 copies. Good luck. Please keep up posted.

Each state is different. In California if you request your birth certificate from the county you were born in takes several weeks. If you request the same from the State of California it takes several months. Try contacting the county recorder office directly.

It has to be one with a raised seal or an offical state seal on the paper. My last copy I got from GA DID NOT have the raised seal but does have an official state seal on it. It passed the last Cruise Check!

Take your plastic one to your state records office and get an "official" one!

Jacquelyn :D

Use vitalcheck.com. I had to order one for my daughter, for some reason we had misplaced hers. You have the option of having it sent regular mail for $7 (they say allow 20 business days) or Fedex (3-5 days) for $24.50 . The actual certificate costs $37. I ordered mine from MA (we live in NH) and requested regular mail because I still had plenty of time. I received her birth certificate about a week after I ordered it even though I only requested regular mail.

It will be an official birth certificate with the raised seal.

http://www.vitalchek.com/?clicked=1

Good luck!

When flying to Aruba my wife didn't have the official copy of her birth cert. They had some person at the airport and we paid a fee and got some official letter that covered us. It seems there is always something that can be done, so most of all, don't worry.

After trying for weeks to get NYC to send a copy of my husbands Birth Cert, emailing, calling and finally being told there would be NO WAY we would have it by the time our wedding cruise left...I took drastic measures, contacted my state representitive and had the Birth certificate in 3 days...then of course I voted for her re-election :)

We've used Vitalchek, I would recommend them if you need a BC fast. We got ours in a few weeks time, and that was without the faster shipping. OUu BC's were coming from TX and CO.

When flying to Aruba my wife didn't have the official copy of her birth cert. They had some person at the airport and we paid a fee and got some official letter that covered us. It seems there is always something that can be done, so most of all, don't worry.

Once upon a time this was true, but since 9-11 I wouldn't try it and have heard it's now impossible.

-Monte

Unless things have changed, me and my DH used the plastic BC's in 2002 on the Voyager. We did not have any problems.

Have things changed to where they won't take those any longer? They had the seal (not raised) on them.

• 3 weeks later...

:D:D IT ARRIVED !!!!!!!!!:D:D

Yes the Certified copy of my Birth Certificate arrived today.

I feel like the weight of the world if off my shoulders.

Nothing will keep me off the Monarch now.

I recommend that you go ahead and apply for a passport now that you have your BC so that you'll have it for your next cruise.

Also as to how long it takes to get a BC, I know that the last time I needed a copy of mine it took 10 weeks (from Alaska).

When we ordered my DH's birth certificate for our first cruise together in 2001, we ordered two copies. When we finally got his passport earlier this year in preparation for this next cruise, we sent in only one of the copies. It was our own piece of mind in case the passport didn't arrive in time for travel for some reason :)

Archived