The Ticker Says "SAILED," But We Didn't : (

Delta Dear

Last Monday, just 6 days before we were to leave on the Glory for Bermuda, my husband was taken by ambulance to the hospital where he had emergency surgery for a bleeding ulcer we didn't know he had. He also had a wicked urinary infection.

He is still in the hospital 8 days and 5 units of blood later, with 5 more days to go for the rest of his IV antibiotic treatments.

Thank goodness we were here at home and NOT on a cruise when all of this hit him. I always buy insurance from a popular company for cruisers (not the Carnival insurance.) I don't know if I can mention the name, but the word STORE is the last word in its name. Steve and his staff are wonderful. We will receive total reimbursement. I will wait until he is discharged to submit the claim.

These two totally unrelated medical issues could not have been predicted, so you just never know when something will happen.

Yes, we are disappointed, but in the grand scheme of things, there will always be a ship we can get on when we are both 100%.

Last Monday, just 6 days before we were to leave on the Glory for Bermuda, my husband was taken by ambulance to the hospital where he had emergency surgery for a bleeding ulcer we didn't know he had. He also had a wicked urinary infection.

He is still in the hospital 8 days and 5 units of blood later, with 5 more days to go for the rest of his IV antibiotic treatments.

Thank goodness we were here at home and NOT on a cruise when all of this hit him.

Om my goodness. I'm glad your DH is ok. God does work in mysterious ways. Hope he feels better soon and you can enjoy your cruise at a later date.

Hope your husband is doing better! You just never know what or when something may happen, do you!! Thank goodness you have that insurance. Sorry you didn't get to take the cruise you had planned, but I hope that you'll both be able to enjoy another one soon. Take care.

Thank goodness we were here at home and NOT on a cruise when all of this hit him. I always buy insurance from a popular company for cruisers (not the Carnival insurance.) I don't know if I can mention the name, but the word STORE is the last word in its name. Steve and his staff are wonderful. We will receive total reimbursement. I will wait until he is discharged to submit the claim.

These two totally unrelated medical issues could not have been predicted, so you just never know when something will happen.

Yes, we are disappointed, but in the grand scheme of things, there will always be a ship we can get on when we are both 100%.

OMG!!!!! I am so glad he's OK and thank goodness you were home when that happened. Somebody was looking out for you for sure.

I hope you are able to rebook another cruise once he is all well. :)

WOW, so glad that your hubby is gonna be okay, and another example to the doubters of purchasing insurance.

We are sailing in April on the Triumph with my BIL who thankfully right now is in remission from cancer......but you just never know. I told all of our family they NEED to purchase insurance.

Sending good thoughts for hubby and hope ya'll get that cruise soon.

Thank God you were home and not on the ship. You are both in my thoughts and prayers. Let us know when you book your next cruise.

Hi Everyone,

First of all, let me thank each and every one of you who posted support and prayers for my husband and for me. I am happy to report that he is coming home tomorrow, exactly two weeks after he went into the hospital a very sick man.

Secondly, I am happy to report that as of last night, I booked our next cruise. Yahoo ! When I talked to him a few days ago he said, we have to book another cruise soon. (The week he was so sick, the word, cruise didn't even bring forth a response.

I booked under that National Cruise Week Sale which ends today. As a result, we are getting $150.00 in on board credit on our six day cruise on the Valor to Key West, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios, leaving Jan. 15,2012.

GAPEARL, I've already started re-reading your Valor review. LOL

There are so many blessings in this whole thing. Since the Valor leaves from Miami, we can visit with our son and daughter-in-law who live in the Ft. Lauderdale area. By then, my husband will be up to speed, he will have finished the hand therapy that he is doing because of breaking his arm in two places on Aug. 7, and I will have recovered from all of this 'nursing duties,' I've been doing for the past two months plus.

Those who just returned yesterday on the Glory from Bermuda have expressed some good times, but also some disappointments, so this new cruise will be just what the doctor ordered.

My husband is so excited about visiting Key West and Ocho Rios since they are new ports for us. When we went to Grand Cayman we didn't do a tour or anythin, but just walked around the port area a little bit. This time we will do a tour.

So, there you have it. The update. On the Glory, we had a 4J cabin. On the Valor, I booked a balcony (only $499.00) right at the midship elevator door practically which is better for my husband with his mobility issues.

There are so many times in life when a slight disappointment is God's way of preparing something better for you. We were not supposed to be on the Glory, but we give HIM all of the glory.

Have a great week, and again, thank you SO much for your caring concerns.

so glad to hear he is much better and that your new cruise is booked.

I was hospitalized for a bleeding ulcer Mother's Day weekend 13 years ago, had 4 units of blood transfused and was in ICU for 4 days, and a regular room for another day before they let me go home. I was only 49 at the time and in good health otherwise, but it took me down a few notches, let me tell you.

Took me most of the summer to get my strength back. Take good care of yourselves and be ready to really enjoy your cruise.

and thank GOD you had good cruise insurance. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Archived