Denied boarding

DAllenTCY

Missing docs or not having the proper docs has happened to other people on most of my cruises. I walk up with muy passport and anything else that is required for my cruise. Yes I am Canadian but I have seen a Canadian refused because they forgot they passport/DL at the hotel. They had to go back and find it.

I'm always very paranoid about not having something... thankfully we live in Miami and if we got to the port and realized we had left something at home it wouldnt be the end of the world... so far its never happened... I think that the cruiseline makes it pretty clear that you need certain documents, and if you book with a travel agent, the ones I have booked with in the past also make sure to go over exactly what you must have... we did have a family member travelling with us who left her ID at home and got to the port only to have to turnaround, pack all her luggage back into her car, and go back home to get it...

I think the crux of the matter is that people today seem to be less inclined to take responsibility for their own actions and are quick to blame others for their self inflicted problems. No doubt our politicians have led the way in this respect and have set the example.

Amen....seems it's ALWAYS easier to blame someone else for one's mishaps/mistakes......

You should be glad you don't have to try and enter the US nowadays as a foreign citizen ! On my last time through Miami I was questioned and searched like a common criminal for half an hour, then when returning from the cruise exactly the same. I'm all for being thoroughly checked before entering a country but a bit of common courtesy wouldn't go a miss.

The treatment you get at immigration is always the worst part of visiting your wonderful country by a mile.

Ditto. My DH has a replacement knee and sets off the alarm every time. He carries a letter from his surgeon to explain but they will not even look at it. This happens everywhere but the only place he has been treated rudely and aggressively is the US. It has become something we dread but are determined to carry on travelling. We are all for security and feel much safer because of it but why do they have to be so unpleasant.?

I was very embarrassed when our friend from the UK visited us a couple years ago and it took over 90 minuites for them to pass through the customs line at Chicago O'Hare on a typical afternoon when nothing really special was going on and the airport didn't appear particularly busy to me.

Believe it or not this was at the exact same time Chicago was entering the final month of it's failed bid to win the 2016 Olympics - what a great example of how we were going to welcome the guests from all over the world if we had won!

Ditto. My DH has a replacement knee and sets off the alarm every time. He carries a letter from his surgeon to explain but they will not even look at it. This happens everywhere but the only place he has been treated rudely and aggressively is the US. It has become something we dread but are determined to carry on travelling. We are all for security and feel much safer because of it but why do they have to be so unpleasant.?

Ive heard complaints from people who are in your husbands position (metal implants) before. I'm just curious if the new body scanners at airports have helped? Can you inform security as you enter the line and request the body scan to speed things up?

Our biggest challenge is when we return home to Canada after a trip and are asked what we are bringing back into the country.

Invariably we bring nothing including no souvenirs, no liquor, and no tobacco products. The odd time our answer is $20. or so in trash and trinkets.

Customs seems to have a problem with this answer and are sometimes taken aback. It delays the process for us. But they are only doing their job.

Worst times are when there is a 'new man or woman' on the job. It seems to take ages as they practice on us.

Last time we crossed at Sarnia the US customs agent asked us why it took us 4 days to drive from Montana. Go figure...so we stopped along the way!

I went through US customs many, many times when I travelled on business. Never an issue, they were always very polite and very efficient.

Worst times are when there is a 'new man or woman' on the job. It seems to take ages as they practice on us.

We learned a long time ago to look for the older customs agents. The men and women who looked like they had been there forever. They have long ago learned to live within their ego and can tell if you are lying before you even open your mouth. Since we ALWAYS declare everything, it pays off to find these experienced agents.

But security is also an issue in other parts of the world. I traveled many times to a mfg plant my company owned in Northern Ireland. So I flew into and out of Belfast to London many times. Almost every time, i had to endure many, many questions in London about my trip as if they just knew I was up to something.

Why would insurance cover someone not having proper documentation to travel?

The insurance does not normally cover stupidity

Cancel for any reason is the only option as you do not have to let them know you are stupid

My TA goes over all required documentation and make you sign that you are aware of what is needed

If your on the West Coast you are used to going to Mexico with just a drivers liscense and a birth certificate. They have been threatening to require passports ever since 9/11 but so far they keep pushing it off. So if you were on the West Coast doing a Hawaii cruise you wouldn't think you would need to have a passport to stop at Ensenada since you don't need it when you are doing a three day cruise to Ensenada. The one to watch is the Passport expirations. I know quite a few years ago when I was cruising to Barbados the passport couldn't have an expiration date within 6 months of arrival otherwise it is was not considered valid. (These might have changed since) but if you don't travel much and the docs say you need a passport you might think that passport you have that expires in 5 months is OK

Ive heard complaints from people who are in your husbands position (metal implants) before. I'm just curious if the new body scanners at airports have helped? Can you inform security as you enter the line and request the body scan to speed things up?

Lsimon, my husband had hip replacement surgery a number of year ago. Based on our experience, not all security lines have the new body scanners and you can't change lines in the middle of the security process. So, if you get on a line that doesn't have a scanner it really slows you down.

If your on the West Coast you are used to going to Mexico with just a drivers liscense and a birth certificate. They have been threatening to require passports ever since 9/11 but so far they keep pushing it off. So if you were on the West Coast doing a Hawaii cruise you wouldn't think you would need to have a passport to stop at Ensenada since you don't need it when you are doing a three day cruise to Ensenada. The one to watch is the Passport expirations. I know quite a few years ago when I was cruising to Barbados the passport couldn't have an expiration date within 6 months of arrival otherwise it is was not considered valid. (These might have changed since) but if you don't travel much and the docs say you need a passport you might think that passport you have that expires in 5 months is OK

The six months of life left on your passport is still the rule.

Here is the passage from Celebrity's pre boarding information:

You've booked the cruise. Congratulations. Here are a few things to think about. First, your passport can't have less than six months on it before it needs to be renewed. (If that's the case, renew it now.) Next, consider how you're getting to the ship and whether you need a transfer from the airport. Also, please print your luggage tags-so it will be very clear which ship you're sailing on, the dates you're going, and the stateroom you're occupying. And, last but not least, think about what are you going to wear!

I sympathize with those trying to accommodate all of the government regulations. 35+ or more years ago, DW ad I flew to Mexico for a week. Back then, passports were not required to enter Mexico, only Mexican Tourist Cards (a type of visa). We went to the Mexican consulate and presented our birth certificates and were issued Mexican Tourist Cards.

When we went to check in for our flight from SFO to Mexico City, the airline asked to see proof of US citizenship. We showed our MTC, and the gate agent allowed us to board, but said we might have difficulty returning to the US.

When we got to Mexico City, went to the US Embassy to make certain that there would be no problems on the return. The Embassy official reviewed our Mexican Tourist Cards and said that there should be no problem, as we had to prove US citizenship to receive them. Thus reassured, we enhoyed a week in the Mexico City area.

However, as we were leaving the Mexico City airport, a local official, who spoke no English, TOOK our Mexican Tourist Cards. Well, DW really got concerned. She had NO proof of citizenship. I, on the other hand wasn't woried, as I had a draft card (Youngsters, use wikipedia to find out what a draft card is).

DW cried all of the flight from Mexico City to Dallas. When we got to Dallas, the Immigration official asked us for proof of US citizenship. I presented my draft card, and was OK. She tried her drivers license, but he needed more assurance. Finally she asked, "If I can prove that I'm married to him, will you let me in?"

The official nodded, and she pulled her wallet out, with a wallet sized photo of me in the Tux, and her in the wedding dress. He only paused for an instant, and said go on through!

Needles to say, If you look in her wallet today, you wil find that same wallet sized photo of us on our wedding day. 1'd like to think that it is because of me, but in reality, I know better!

Unfortunately, questions are a part of security, especially when there are stamps in one's passport from certain countries. It is well documented that there are terrorist activities originating in certain countries. If one has business in these countries (or countries that are close geographicly)there is always the possibility that this business and the funds it generates or requires to do business could be used to support some of these activities. I don't see why it is hard to understand that one might be questioned after having visited some of these countries. I understand that Immigration and TSA employees are not always models of courtesy but what is the big deal about answering some questions?

Also, for those who have had joint replacements, a letter from a doctor means absolutely nothing--ANYONE could forge a letterhead and write a letter "documenting" joint replacement. I realise it is terribly inconvenient but the evil of a few has disrupted the ease of travel we have grown to take for granted.

I don't fly too much but when I do I just try to leave plenty of extra time, take a big deep breath, and try to just take it all as part of the vacation experience... they have to do their job and there isn't anything we as individuals standing in line can do about it... being stressed and upset will only make it worse... My parents flew to Europe on 9/10 this year and they expected it to be a really really bad experience... they went to the airport literally like 5 hours early, the airport has a lot of restauraunts after you pass security etc.... so they both took books, went before lunch, went through security, dropped off their bags etc.. and then went and had lunch and a drink and read their books...

Archived