Blu dress code - change

Albert Ross

Many lines (Regent, for one)are now going to "smart casual" every night . A good percentage of the men still wore a jacket. A woman can easily turn "smart casual" to formal by playing up the jewelry and accessories. So... bringing a dark suit is the only wardrobe addition necessary.

This is a quote from PS90. "Maybe I'm being a little too "tight-wad" about it, but my plan is to take a copy of that page of the brochure to Blu on the first formal MDR night when we go this December. That way, if it turns out the crew is "unaware" of this change (or if it varies from ship-to-ship), I don't think they can challenge the new dress code if it's there in writing from a Celebrity brochure. So they don't make me wear an old, greasy jacket."

I agree, but due to the lack of any knowledge from anyone I've talked to at Celebrity on this supposed change, I've decided to bring a blazer, dress shirt and tie to wear with dockers which I can also wear for the "smart casual" nights. That way I save having to pack suit pants and shoes to go with a suit and still cover my bases. Plus my wife doesn't have to take her"formal" dress and all the stuff that goes with it.

If we were cruising from the States, I would pack the suit and her clothes, but I don't feel like carrying any extra baggage to Europe.

Except when it isn't cut and dried....celebrity uk shows blu smart cas every night... So maybe I need to work on my fake British accent:-)

well... we're going to look silly. My husband travels on a British passport and mine is United States.

Hubby & I will be on the Eclipse in 28 more days :D and although our dining room is Blu, we have no intentions of packing formal wear. Last year on the Solstice we were asked by the Blu staff why we were absent on formal nights. When we told them we did not bring formal wear they told us formal attire was not mandatory. But then you read the horror stories of people being turned away from Blu on formal nights or men handed a jacket to put on . . . Thanks again so much for your post.

We just got off the Solstice on Sunday and were AQ. Anyone who wasn't in a jacket on formal nights was handed a jacket and told it must at least be over their arm if they wanted to eat in Blu that night. This happened to the man directly in front of us. The dress code in Blu on fromal nights was formal..and it was inforced. Maybe they just haven't changed the policy yet....

We are both in the formal camp, we like to put on the best bib and tucker from time to time and enjoy the company of others who think the same way. If you don't like the rules that are imposed then find another line that has lower standards and can accommodate your dress down choices without a problem.

I agree, but due to the lack of any knowledge from anyone I've talked to at Celebrity on this supposed change, I've decided to bring a blazer, dress shirt and tie to wear with dockers which I can also wear for the "smart casual" nights. That way I save having to pack suit pants and shoes to go with a suit and still cover my bases. Plus my wife doesn't have to take her"formal" dress and all the stuff that goes with it.

If we were cruising from the States, I would pack the suit and her clothes, but I don't feel like carrying any extra baggage to Europe.

Good plan. It's exactly what my husband and I are doing for our TA next month.

We will be staying in Rome for the week before the cruise. Not having to bring his tux and dress shoes and gowns for me will really help us with lugging our luggage. We will still look nice on formal night and every other night for that matter.

Cynthia

We just got off the Solstice on Sunday and were AQ. Anyone who wasn't in a jacket on formal nights was handed a jacket and told it must at least be over their arm if they wanted to eat in Blu that night. This happened to the man directly in front of us. The dress code in Blu on fromal nights was formal..and it was inforced. Maybe they just haven't changed the policy yet....

This was only announced last Friday, there's no way it would jave effected your cruise disembarking on Sunday.

I think it is nice to see people dressed for dinner. On formal nights if it is a tux fantastic, but if not a suit and dressy dress for women is great too. If you dont want to do this then use the buffet or room dining those one or two nights. I guess i am an old foggey but i think the dress code of the world has gone too casual. I know it is your vacation etc....but it is other peoples vacation also and they may enjoy dressing up!:confused:

Just because Blue no longer has formal nights it does not mean you cannot dress formally, if you so desire. Yes, it is my vacation and if I want to dine in casual clothing I should be able to. This in no way affects you or how you choose to dress. Actually, I think we should be able to use the dining room in shorts and jeans. Depending on your cabin, room service may be limited. As for the buffet, why should I be made to get my own food and then possibly not find a table just because I choose not to be formal. As long I am clean and my clothing is clean, what should it matter. Cruise line prices have come down considerably over the years and this means more of us "common folk" can afford to cruise. Sorry, but people like me will continue to cruise and push for totally casual dining. Hopefully one day my many letters to various cruise lines will pay off.

Just because Blue no longer has formal nights it does not mean you cannot dress formally, if you so desire. Yes, it is my vacation and if I want to dine in casual clothing I should be able to. This in no way affects you or how you choose to dress. Actually, I think we should be able to use the dining room in shorts and jeans. Depending on your cabin, room service may be limited. As for the buffet, why should I be made to get my own food and then possibly not find a table just because I choose not to be formal. As long I am clean and my clothing is clean, what should it matter. Cruise line prices have come down considerably over the years and this means more of us "common folk" can afford to cruise. Sorry, but people like me will continue to cruise and push for totally casual dining. Hopefully one day my many letters to various cruise lines will pay off.

Page 97Celebrity Caribbean bochure says the dresscode for Blu on formal nights is Smart Casual And Above on Formal nights.No need to wear a suit or Blazer but if you want to,no one will stop you from wearing a tux gown or suit.

How is room service limited by your cabin, the only difference I know is CC cabins and above get an expanded breakfast menu...

I disagree about the shorts having been on NCL cruises and seen what people wear to the MDR. (which I enjoyed)Nothing wrong with the cruise line setting some limits, I absolutely have never bought the argument that its my cruise and I'll do what I want...

How is room service limited by your cabin, the only difference I know is CC cabins and above get an expanded breakfast menu...

I disagree about the shorts having been on NCL cruises and seen what people wear to the MDR. (which I enjoyed)Nothing wrong with the cruise line setting some limits, I absolutely have never bought the argument that its my cruise and I'll do what I want...

I concur.

I also concur.

My wife and I are senior citizens and we will be on the Equinox(Aqua Class) in January for 11 nights. Today I talked with Celebrity Customer Service and they confirmed that the dress code for all 11 nights on our cruise, in the Aqua Restaurant, will be smart casual and above. She also said that on formal nights we could dine in the MDR but should talk to the maître d.

The Customer Service Rep said that if we go to the Aqua Restaurant on a formal night, which we will probably do, their will be others dressed formal-I have a feeling their will be quite a few.

This will be our first cruise with Celebrity and we can't wait. We do enjoy dressing formal and have done this many times on formal nights in the MDR and Speciality Restaurants.

Gene & Carol

Just because Blue no longer has formal nights it does not mean you cannot dress formally, if you so desire. Yes, it is my vacation and if I want to dine in casual clothing I should be able to. This in no way affects you or how you choose to dress.

Sorry, but that is totally untrue. How you dress does impact others in that it affects the ambiance. That is why many restaurants, schools, teams, events etc. have a dress code. While I personally do not have a strong feeling one way or the other about Celebrity relaxing the dress code in Blu, like it or not how you dress does have an impact on those around you. This is why this situation is difficult and in flux; Celebrity does want to appeal to those desiring a more relaxed, casual atmosphere but at the same time is trying to balance this with not upsetting those passengers who enjoy the ambiance of a formal night. The total experience/vibe of a dinner is not the same if half the people are dressed formally and half casually as it is when all patrons don formal attire.

Sorry, but that is totally untrue. How you dress does impact others in that it affects the ambiance. That is why many restaurants, schools, teams, events etc. have a dress code. While I personally do not have a strong feeling one way or the other about Celebrity relaxing the dress code in Blu, like it or not how you dress does have an impact on those around you. This is why this situation is difficult and in flux; Celebrity does want to appeal to those desiring a more relaxed, casual atmosphere but at the same time is trying to balance this with not upsetting those passengers who enjoy the ambiance of a formal night. The total experience/vibe of a dinner is not the same if half the people are dressed formally and half casually as it is when all patrons don formal attire.

I think that you are absolutely right. I think that Celebrity has gone as far as it needs to go with finding a balance.

We are both in the formal camp, we like to put on the best bib and tucker from time to time and enjoy the company of others who think the same way. If you don't like the rules that are imposed then find another line that has lower standards and can accommodate your dress down choices without a problem.

I think you have confused this thread with one of the many dress-code-debate threads.

This one is supposed to be discussing the change of Blu to "Smart Casual and Above" everyday. It seems that has indeed happened, so the unending mantra of "dress up or get off of Celebrity" is not relevant here.

We just book our first AQ cabin for an upcoming Cruise and we are VERY HAPPY it is Smart Casual & above.

We will not be dressed Formally on Formal night in Blu. We will be smart casual & above and will not miss dressing Formal at all.

Thank you Celebrity!

I think you have confused this thread with one of the many dress-code-debate threads.

This one is supposed to be discussing the change of Blu to "Smart Casual and Above" everyday. It seems that has indeed happened, so the unending mantra of "dress up or get off of Celebrity" is not relevant here.

I like the way you think. We are on the wet side, near Seattle. Where are you?

Thank you!

I like the way you think. We are on the wet side, near Seattle. Where are you?

Hi Bubbachief! We live in Wenatchee. I grew up in Eastern WA, moved to Western WA after med school, but could never quite get used to the rain, so I came back. It sure is pretty over there though.

(Sorry for being OT)

Seems funny that they are charging people more money in the AQ cabins to be able to dress more casually. Usually you expect the more expensive/fancy accommodations would require more formal dress.

I am sailing on the Silhouette in a few weeks and would have definitely sprung for the extra money for an AQ cabin even though I don't want the spa perks just to be able to not wear a suit 3 nights in the dining room.

Archived