Would you like Celebrity to return to Casual, Semi-Formal, and Formal Nights?

OneNewTexan

We liked it better on Celebrity when the dress code was categorized as Casual, Semi-Formal, and Formal. After Celebrity made the change around 2008-2009, the average dress of those onboard at dinner time went down. Everything at home is casual. We like to dress up on cruises and wish Celebrity would step it up a notch.

How do you feel? Are there others that share our opinion?

I'm glad that they eliminated informal nights & would be happy if they eliminated Formal nights altogether.

OT, it's nice to see a dress code thread not deteriorate into a Pi$$ing contest. Normally, dress code threads are locked by now!

Casual all the way for us. We loathe dressing up.

Ditto, having to of worn suits with shirt and tie at work for 40 years, now retired I want to dress casual/smart casual, don't want my vacation to remind me of being back at work;):p

Hope you are both keeping well.

Well, I have done it, on Med cruises, a cruise around Africa and a safari, cruises in Asia and the Middle East, with hotel stays both before and after long cruises. And I'm disabled and still manage. So, why can't able bodied persons do this?????

Bravo, I am 63 and manage to lug both my DW's case and my own (both weighting about 50lbs) through airports, train stations, streets and up stairs.

My DW takes the carryons and we manage quite well. Trains can be a problem, but you take the luggage one at a time. We always reserve first class rail when we go.

ditto, having to of worn suits with shirt and tie at work for 40 years, now retired i want to dress casual/smart casual, don't want my vacation to remind me of being back at work;):p

hope you are both keeping well.

bingo!

I would prefer it if they enforced dress codes on formal nights, had smart-casual nights, and casual nights. I agree with others that society is now casual 99% of the time. It is not uncommon to see jeans at weddings these days! I always pack nice clothes for dinner, and formal gowns for formal nights, regardless of how others are dressing at night.

I see that the dress code "down Under" has gone casual. :rolleyes:

penguin_jumpers.jpeg

Changes the formal nights first dance doesn't it :p

rel_penguins_04151.jpg

Warning!!!!! Next picture shows diners partially undressed (down to their tuxs)

at-111019-penguin-sweater2.photoblog600.jpg

Bravo, I am 63 and manage to lug both my DW's case and my own (both weighting about 50lbs) through airports, train stations, streets and up stairs.

My DW takes the carryons and we manage quite well. Trains can be a problem, but you take the luggage one at a time. We always reserve first class rail when we go.

That's two...not four. Kitty said two for her.

The major difference between now and then is that formal night only needs to be followed in the main dining room when it use to be required all over the ship after 6 PM with the exception of the informal dining and pool area. So for all practical purposes, each passenger has the option to decide how dressed up he/she wants to be unless they choose to eat in the main dining room. After all, smart casual and above includes almost every option. The current dress code only presents a problem for passengers who want everyone on the ship to follow the exact same dress code at all times.

I could never figure out the difference between "casual" and "smart casual" so DH wears slack and a shirt with a collar and I wear fancy slacks with evening-style tops or a packable dress.

We do the tux and gown thing for formal nights. We like to play dress up on a cruise. It's part of the fun. (see Avitar) I would miss the formal nights.

I could never figure out the difference between "casual" and "smart casual" so DH wears slack and a shirt with a collar and I wear fancy slacks with evening-style tops or a packable dress.

We do the tux and gown thing for formal nights. We like to play dress up on a cruise. It's part of the fun. (see Avitar) I would miss the formal nights.

When Celebrity had the three dress codes basically casual was what is considered "smart casual" now. Semi formal was putting a jacket and a tie on such as a sports jacket. Cruised many times with Celebrity under the three dress codes.

I would not object to skipping formal even though I don't mind dressing up. Flight restrictions aside, I'm having more of a problem lugging the suitcases to and from the ship than I used to. I'd rather bring along a couple of extra shirts and ties for my blazer rather than dress shoes and a tux. Our suitcases are getting smaller so that I can lift them without dislocating my shoulders to the extent that I can't hoist a glass when necessary (medicinal purposes only to deaden the pain in my joints).;)

We liked it better on Celebrity when the dress code was categorized as Casual, Semi-Formal, and Formal. After Celebrity made the change around 2008-2009, the average dress of those onboard at dinner time went down. Everything at home is casual. We like to dress up on cruises and wish Celebrity would step it up a notch.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO OneNewTexan:The cruise lines can't have so many formal nights like they used to. For one thing, transportation carriers (airlines, trains) will only allow a certain amount of suitcases to be taken. Each one could only weigh a certain amount. Therefore, people are not able to take as much clothes as would be required. So what is the answer? Less formal and more casual.

My opinion, since cruising is a vacation then casual should be the norm. Americans are the least formal people in the world. Maybe, the Australians are so more. People, for the most part, don't want to be on vacation and then have to dress up in some formal clothes. Even most Luxury Cruise Lines have informal as the norm on cruises. Now another question is how informal should the cruise lines get?

Whatever the Cruise Line suggests for the evening guideline is how we dress. So I guess we really don’t care.

Basically, that's where we are as well. We'll still dress up on formal nights because we like to. What others wear isn't going to matter anymore as it seems that Celebrity has loosened the suggested guidelines to pretty much "whatever you want to wear is fine with them". Ok, so be it.

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion and preference. I do think, though, that the response of 'it's my vacation and I should be able to dress as I like' is rather a weak argument. What if what you like is to go topless?

This kind of cruise could be a lot fun!:D:D

As for those who use packing as an excuse for not wanting formal nights, that's just an excuse. I managed to pack for 12 formal nights on a 35 day Crystal cruise in two suitcases and a carry on. One long black sleeveless gown with various shawls, jackets, lace blouses and different jewelry makes that one

black gown into at least 7 different formal outfits. It can be easily done with a little imagination.

Well, I have done it, on Med cruises, a cruise around Africa and a safari, cruises in Asia and the Middle East, with hotel stays both before and after long cruises. And I'm disabled and still manage. So, why can't able bodied persons do this?????

Darcie,

I'm not sure how you managed all that. As a relatively able-bodied person travelling with my dh who has become disabled, I can't imagine making that work! We have definitely pared down what we bring so that our luggage is managable - for me!

For us, formal nights are not as formal as they were when we first started cruising and we were both able-bodied. Initially it was a tux and formal gown - and we loved dressing for for the evening. At this point, we still dress relatively formally for formal nights.

Personally, I would be more than happy with a change to smart casual for EVERY evening!

Smart Casual really makes it easier to pack and my DH and I would certainly vote for that. For us, we cruise to enjoy our family and spend time with each other. It really doesn't matter to us what other people wear. If they were going to be in our family photos then maybe, but who cares what other people do. Cruising is about relaxation, the last thing I want to worry about is how other people dress - I couldn't care less!!

Uggg... I'm completely tired of the whole formal and casual debate. I am THRILLED that they got rid of the semi-formal night. I think it's absolutely crazy to have to dress up every single night. And there is NO WAY it's ever going to go back. It's only going to go the other way... get used to a casual world or find a line that celebrates their formal attire. I'm done shlepping dress clothes across the pond. Over and over again... just to play dress up in a world that doesn't dress up any longer. I don't dress down for dinner, but my days for formal wear are over. And I'm so surprised how many people care what other people wear to dinner.

And I'm so surprised how many people care what other people wear to dinner.

I was going to agree with you, but I am not really surprised. I just do not understand why there are so many people who care about what others choose to wear to dinner.

Archived