Has anyone ever stayed on the Partial transit of the Panama Canal ?

Orangefan

I wanted to hear from anyone who has taken the partial transit of the Panama Canal from the east coast and has stayed on the ship the whole time. From what I have read many people take tours and even go on trains or ferries that go through the other locks to the Pacific Ocean. If the ship is crowded with the passengers around the decks before they all go on tours, I was thinking it might be interesting to stay on the ship to watch the same process again . However the second time I would have easy access to both sides of the ship and all the views.

Sali

The number who get off for tours, in my experience, is relatively small. I doubt it is over 25%, at least on the partial Canal cruise we were on.

Don't worry, there is plenty of deck space to view from, no matter what. Only the front spaces will be really crowded- again, from our 3 (total, two full cruisings)trips thru the Canal.

You are right, it will be a lot easier to get a good spot to take in the sights because when you combine the passengers who have left the ship and the others who have "seen" what they want to see in the morning, a spot at the rail is a lot easier to come by. A prime spot on the bow will always draw a crowd but DW and I were able to come and go during the return lockage through Gatun Locks without completely giving up a spot to the huddled masses. Something else you may find interesting, the trip to the pier in Colon is a bit more interesting now. In the past when the ship left Gatun Locks en route to the former facility in Cristobal, it was pretty a much a straight shot down the channel to pier. Now the ships dock on the other side of Colon, which involves your ship to sail through the Canal breakwater, enter the Caribbean and then reenter the breakwater at another point to reach the pier in Colon. You will be able to see Colon from another angle as well as see a fair amount of the ships waiting at anchor to go through the Canal.

Even though some would say it is the same thing you saw in the morning, there will always be things you did not see in the morning's up lockage and in general be able to take it all in again. There normally is time when the ship docks in Colon to hop off and get the obligatory T shirt or some other item you just can't live without at the mall right next to the pier.

We're going on a partial transit in December. When I asked that question earlier, Richard told me to "Get off the darn boat!"

I did wind up booking a tour through Princess, but I am still contemplating staying aboard. I really don't want to set my alarm for 5 AM or so in order to be on deck (or balcony) to watch the process, and if we stay on board, we'll be able to experience it at a more reasonable hour. I'd get off in Colon at the port shopping center. I'm sure many will say we'll be missing out on seeing some of this country if we don't take our tour.

I know where Richard is coming from, he's a real get out there type and nothing wrong with that at all. Of course I would be one of those people who are up at way before 5 and I did not get off the d*** ship... but that is me, I enjoy the approach to any port and to me the Canal is a bit special. If you are not too fussy about getting one of the primo spots you don't have to rise and shine quite that early to see the lockage at Gatun Locks.

I am always a little reluctant on giving advice on what to do, specially when it is not my $$ involved;), that said, I have stayed on the ship and enjoyed it. You don't have to take a tour, it will be a great day either way!

Having just come back, I would say take the tour. Seeing the process on a smaller boat is very different than on the larger one, but I do have to admit that after the 2nd lock it gets a bit tedious regardless of which boat you are one.

Another option is the Embera village, which is a completely different experience to the lock process and one I wish we had the time to do.

Archived