Demograhics

Pop-I

Can anyone confirm that the newer / larger SB ships attract a younger and/or hipper crowd? I don't care about age, but rather about attitude and hippness.

Absolutely NOT. The newer / larger ships attract the exact same demographic as the older / smaller SB ships. But there's plenty of poor attitude on both type of ships and hipness is found only in the slick marketing brochures.

First of all, younger does not necessarily mean hipper.

Second of all, during the summer months when he larger ships offer mainly seven day cruises I would say they definitely attract a younger demographic (with more children) than the triplets. It's still not a party crowd though!

Well lookee here - there's a lil' troll having fun.

Hip - meaning in the know or fashionably current - is a term that was in vogue in the late 1940s and the 1950s. Anyone using the term now can hardly be classed as part of the younger crowd - unless they picked it up watching Mad Men. And, ergo, if they have been watching Mad Men they can hardly claim to be hip, as such ersatz 1950s recycling is aimed at the mass market.

File alongside "cool cat" and "with it".

If you want a younger passenger demographic select summer cruises and those that are shorter in duration. As to hip, who knows?

In the world we live in one physical age no longer represents how they act.

I know plenty of people my age or many years older who are much more youthful and energetic than some half their age.

On our first Seabourn Cruise we met a wonderful couple in their early 80's. They danced each and every dance at night.

Keith

First of all, younger does not necessarily mean hipper.

Second of all, during the summer months when he larger ships offer mainly seven day cruises I would say they definitely attract a younger demographic (with more children) than the triplets. It's still not a party crowd though!

I agree with your first observation... and your second (hate the word "demographic" though):rolleyes:.

And I think you missed all of the parties.... usually later in the evening;)!

Marja

Well lookee here - there's a lil' troll having fun.

Hip - meaning in the know or fashionably current - is a term that was in vogue in the late 1940s and the 1950s. Anyone using the term now can hardly be classed as part of the younger crowd - unless they picked it up watching Mad Men. And, ergo, if they have been watching Mad Men they can hardly claim to be hip, as such ersatz 1950s recycling is aimed at the mass market.

File alongside "cool cat" and "with it".

I would say the word "hip" was still used in the 1960s and 1970s as well.... but I think it's an expression that would go on and on.....!

Though maybe they would say "cool" or "da sh:eek:t" nowadays....

Marja

Can anyone confirm that the newer / larger SB ships attract a younger and/or hipper crowd? I don't care about age, but rather about attitude and hippness.

To answer the OP - we, my DH and myself are going on our first Seabourn cruise in just over 2 weeks and I do so hope it will have a similar contingent of wonderfully interesting, travelling companions, whatever their age, that we met on our very first cruise on Silversea's Silver Whisper last year - age is very much in the mind and I certainly did not have ANY conversations about any femoral malfunctions unless of course they had occured after drinking too much champagne!;) And in our mid-50's we were NOT the youngest either!

So in some quarters we may be considered an "older crowd" and what's wrong with that anyway - 40 is the new 30, 50 is the new 40 and 60 is the new 50, and so on, and in my mid-50's, I would certainly not consider myself past it even though next year I can get all the 55+ discounts!:eek:

So go with the flow (oops does that show my age too?), and enjoy - life is far too short to stress.

JaneBP

"Seabourn is populated mainly by the 'Q-Top' crowd, but that varies with the itinerary, length of cruise, and seasonality."

What on earth is the "Q-Top" crowd????? I feel I may not like your answer!

The "Q-Tip" crowd is made up of many gray-haired people. Basically older folks. A minister may look over the congregation and see only gray hair. Q- tips are cotton swabs often used for external ear cleaning, for example. They probably have another name in other markets. Like Band Aids here are called plasters in the UK.

The "Q-Tip" crowd is made up of many gray-haired people. A minister may look over the congregation and see only gray hair. Q- tips are cotton swabs often used for external ear cleaning, for example. They probably have another name in other markets.

I knew I wouldn't like your answer! You'll be telling everyone next that we all wear beige crimplene pants and matching anoraks :p

Would you really refer to George Clooney as a Q-Tip????? :rolleyes:

We have travelled some cruises on SB and SS in the past 10 years with my mother (from the time she was 70 to now - she's 80) and we cannot keep up with her. We are going to sleep while she is dancing and drinking. And then she's coming out of the gym in the morning when I am just arriving. She says that at her age, she can't sleep -- ah, the benefits of getting older are apparently getting hipper.

Dear Jimmyw9,

I am taking your line about my appearance in stride. Why? I do have some pampering and treatments to look forward to on the 2012 world cruise. I am like soooo looking forward to it. Awesome! My 68 days- groovy!

Oh, and I almost forgot to ask, are you lucky enough to be on that cruise too? Fer sure I would like to meet you...

Dear Jimmyw9,

I am taking your line about my appearance in stride. Why? I do have some pampering and treatments to look forward to on the 2012 world cruise. I am like soooo looking forward to it. Awesome! My 68 days- groovy!

Oh, and I almost forgot to ask, are you lucky enough to be on that cruise too? Fer sure I would like to meet you...

Hi "Markham".... you're joking aren't you? I mean you DO know Jimmy;)... And 68 days would mean, that we might see each other I would say...:cool:!

Marja

Hi "Markham".... you're joking aren't you? I mean you DO know Jimmy;)... And 68 days would mean, that we might see each other I would say...:cool:!

Marja

Marja, do not worry, we love to hate each other!

now.....Markham....you say you are on for 68 days, I am so pleeeeeeeased. But my dear, it going to take more than a few sessions in the Spa....to fix that, I fear that the surgeons knife is the last resort for you....hahahaha

Toodle Pip, for now darhlink - see you soon!

Archived