A couple of newbie questions

Patsie47

Hi all

Did a search and can't seem to find a couple of answers.

I am doing a transatlantic in May (Noordam). When will they announce which are formal nights and where would I find that info?

2nd - what type of activities on board during sea days and where can I find that info, do they have cooking classes and computer classes?

Thanks

Pat

Hi all

Did a search and can't seem to find a couple of answers.

I am doing a transatlantic in May (Noordam). When will they announce which are formal nights and where would I find that info? You won't know which nights are formal until you get on board. When you print your documents, you will know how many formal nights. We can tell you there is generally 2 for every 7 days, 3 for 10, 4 for 14. You can expect your second night out and the next to last night to probably be formal, but that can vary a little also.

2nd - what type of activities on board during sea days and where can I find that info, do they have cooking classes and computer classes? Events on board vary by cruise and Cruise Director. There will be plenty of events. If you read some other peoples comments on cruises of all types, you will get some ideas. However, it all boils down to what the Cruise Director likes or wants to do. Just because an activity is done on one ship, doesn't meant it will be done on another.

Thanks

Pat

Congrats on being a new person to Cruise Critic who did searches and looked around!

Thanks so much, very interesting info, never thought the cruise director had that much influence. Haven't been on a cruise in many years and I thought they were there just to keep everyone smiling:)

Pat

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

When you 50 days away from your cruise you will be able to print your e-docs and luggage tags and on the Signature Boarding pass will be listed the number of formal nights. To find what nights they will be -- you need to call ship services at 1-800=541-1576 -- and even then they may give you the incorrect information.

Once you are checked in at the pier -- you will be given the Explorer Daily program -- and there you will see listed the evenings for formal nights.

Since this cruise is offered only a couple of times a year -- once in each direction -- and the itinerary changes slightly each year -- you will not have the same activities.

They are not posted or listed anywhere before the cruise.

Each evening you will get delivered to your cabin the Explorer Daily program which will list the next days activities.

Activities will be Trivia each day, golf putting or chipping, animal towel making, kitchen tour, free cooking demonstration, wine tastings (you pay for them), free digital camera classes, there is tea each afternoon, Bingo, dance classes and tons more.

There are cooking classes offered on sea days -- $29 per person -- classes are limited to 12 people. You are broken down into 3 groups and there are 3 items to make. Afterwards you all sit down and eat what you have prepared -- most of the time you are served free wine. You need to stop by the front desk on Embarkation to sign up -- they will also give the menu for each class and you can decide which class or classes you want to take. Some people have also been given an apron and a cookbook as gifts.

never thought the cruise director had that much influence. Haven't been on a cruise in many years and I thought they were there just to keep everyone smiling
Well, they are - by making sure that all the entertainment runs smoothly. If all the entertainment runs smoothly even though you never see the CD, that's a pretty good CD at work. If you see the CD glad-handing people everywhere but the entertainment falls apart, they're not doing their job properly.

All HAL cruises I have sailed recently have had computer classes. Keep an eye on your daily program.

The HAL libraries are probably the best at sea, so be sure to check them out. (pun intended) For the best selection of books, get there the first day. There is also a paperback book exchange shelf which is handy for picking up a book to read on the trip home.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

When you 50 days away from your cruise you will be able to print your e-docs and luggage tags and on the Signature Boarding pass will be listed the number of formal nights. To find what nights they will be -- you need to call ship services at 1-800=541-1576 -- and even then they may give you the incorrect information.

Once you are checked in at the pier -- you will be given the Explorer Daily program -- and there you will see listed the evenings for formal nights.

Since this cruise is offered only a couple of times a year -- once in each direction -- and the itinerary changes slightly each year -- you will not have the same activities.

They are not posted or listed anywhere before the cruise.

Each evening you will get delivered to your cabin the Explorer Daily program which will list the next days activities.

Activities will be Trivia each day, golf putting or chipping, animal towel making, kitchen tour, free cooking demonstration, wine tastings (you pay for them), free digital camera classes, there is tea each afternoon, Bingo, dance classes and tons more.

There are cooking classes offered on sea days -- $29 per person -- classes are limited to 12 people. You are broken down into 3 groups and there are 3 items to make. Afterwards you all sit down and eat what you have prepared -- most of the time you are served free wine. You need to stop by the front desk on Embarkation to sign up -- they will also give the menu for each class and you can decide which class or classes you want to take. Some people have also been given an apron and a cookbook as gifts.

Yonnie, more precisely, the "Explorer Daily program" should be referred to as the daily program called "Explorer"! ;):)

Archived