Taieri Gorge Rail Trip, DUNEDIN

Success!!!! Have contacted the Railway Booking office and managed to book two tickets on the Taieri Gorge trip for the 8th April for NZ$89 compared with AUD$198 ship price. This makes the $100 plus price difference a very expensive champagne lunch on the train. I do not know if the train we are booked on is the same that the ship passengers are on but it leaves at the same time of 9-30am. There are plenty of seats left on the "Seasider" from Dunedin to Greymouth and return for the same day if anyone is interested.

John

Would you kindly provide the link to the site with information on the train trip Dunedin to Greymouth return as a day trip.

Thank you.

Ewerwon

The Dunedin Station site is http://www.taieri.co.nz/bookings

The "Seasider" departs Dunedin Station at 9-30am and returns at 1-30pm. I am not sure but I think the fare is NZ$81.

The train leaves Dunedin and travels THROUGH PORT CHALMERS but in response to my question as to whether getting on and off the train at Port Chalmers was possible I was advised that it was not. Departure and arrival are both at Dunedin.

John

Mr Princess, please post a report on this thread when you return. I hope you get back to the ship after the pub crawl. If you’re travelling anti clockwise, it will be ok. There will be difficulties :rolleyes: if the ship is travelling clockwise and you miss getting back on at Dunedin :eek: If you don’t make it back to the ship, please post that story too !

Thanks Happyassies, I’m leaning that way i.e ship tour. Apart from wonderful cocktails, what else can I spend OBC on ? We usually do own our research and do not use the ship tours, but this time I just want to relax. I keep picturing the train, right there, at the dock.

Oysterfiend, the longer trip is not available on the day we will be in port. The train only goes to Pukerangi on that day.

regards, Ann

We booked a party of 4 on the TGR for this coming Thursday (3 Nov) when we'll be in Dunedin, off the 'Sea'. We booked it back in Aug, cost 84 NZD pp. It returns at about 1.30pm, so we also booked a 'Speight's Brewery Tour' that commences at 2pm, a couple of blocks away from the train station. That's 23 NZD pp as well. :D Pay both on the day!

BTW they do sell wine and beer on board the train, so we'll have lunch on board! (That'll be extra. :rolleyes:)

Might even do a short pub crawl back in town, before (IF?) we get back on the ship!

MP.

The train trip folllowed by the Speight's Brewery Tour should fill your day. Were you thinking of doing a pub crawl in Dunedin or Port Chalmers? Watch the clock as it is over half an hour drive from Dunedin to the ship.:) I can't remember the time exactly, but you can check it on your morning bus or taxi trip into Dunedin.

Last time we were in Dunedin there was a long queue for the shuttle bus back to the ship. We didn't worry. We figured that if we were in the queue or in the bus the ship would have to wait, but I am not too sure. We were surprised that the bus company didn't put on extra buses for the return trips in the second half of the afternoon.

The train trip folllowed by the Speight's Brewery Tour should fill your day. Were you thinking of doing a pub crawl in Dunedin or Port Chalmers? Watch the clock as it is over half an hour drive from Dunedin to the ship.:) I can't remember the time exactly, but you can check it on your morning bus or taxi trip into Dunedin.

Last time we were in Dunedin there was a long queue for the shuttle bus back to the ship. We didn't worry. We figured that if we were in the queue or in the bus the ship would have to wait, but I am not too sure. We were surprised that the bus company didn't put on extra buses for the return trips in the second half of the afternoon.

Thanks for that sound advice AT. Last time (a couple of cruises back) we did the pub crawl after the TGR trip, without the brewery tour, so it might be better to get back to PC first, after the brewery tour, and just stop off at the local in PC. I think there's only the one pub in PC, so it won't be much of a 'crawl' - but, hey, a beer's a beer, even if it's a Steinlager or a Speight! :D And the locals will love ribbing the aussies about the thugby! ;)

MP.

Thanks for that sound advice AT. Last time (a couple of cruises back) we did the pub crawl after the TGR trip, without the brewery tour, so it might be better to get back to PC first, after the brewery tour, and just stop off at the local in PC. I think there's only the one pub in PC, so it won't be much of a 'crawl' - but, hey, a beer's a beer, even if it's a Steinlager or a Speight! :D And the locals will love ribbing the aussies about the thugby! ;)

MP.

From memory, I think the pub in Port Chalmers is only a couple of hundred metres from the entry to the wharf. If you are that close to the ship, you will be OK even if you have a few beers.. or a few more. :)

From memory, I think the pub in Port Chalmers is only a couple of hundred metres from the entry to the wharf. If you are that close to the ship, you will be OK even if you have a few beers.. or a few more. :)

Yair, just up the main drag, on the right - below the church! :D

MP.

As far as we are concerned the extra $$$ paid to do the ship's tours is well worth it.

First off the ship. Pick-up ship side. No stress, no strain & no worries just how it ALL should be!

B&B

The extra cost and what they charge for children (given that children are free when you book direct) made me sick. A rip-off.

P&O Taieri Gorge By Train

Adult AUD$189.00

Child (12 & Under) AUD$149.00

Receive a welcome glass of bubbly shortly after boarding. Morning tea is served shortly after departure, followed by a light lunch. Refreshments, included in the cost of the tour, are served between morning tea and lunch and include local beers, soft drinks and water.

Princess Taieri Gorge By Train

A meal and beverage is provided.

adults $249.00

booked at the trsin station

Dunedin to: Pukerangi:

Return Fare

Adult

$ 84.00

$ 56.00

Middlemarch:

Adult

$ 97.00

Success!!!! Have contacted the Railway Booking office and managed to book two tickets on the Taieri Gorge trip for the 8th April for NZ$89 compared with AUD$198 ship price. This makes the $100 plus price difference a very expensive champagne lunch on the train. I do not know if the train we are booked on is the same that the ship passengers are on but it leaves at the same time of 9-30am. There are plenty of seats left on the "Seasider" from Dunedin to Greymouth and return for the same day if anyone is interested.

John

How do you get to and from the cruise ship dock to the train station?

Hi RedHatCruiseCat

Unfortunately the ship is in Pt Chalmers on a Sunday and the first local bus leaves too late to arrive at the Dunedin Station before 9-30. I would expect other buses or shuttles to be available to ferry passengers to Dunedin in the morning otherwise a taxi is the alternative.

The train arrives back in Dunedin at 3-30. There is a local bus departing from stand 4 Cumberland St. Dunedin (one street over from the Station) at 4 pm, arriving Pt Chalmers at 4.55. The ship sails at 6 pm.

John

How do you get to and from the cruise ship dock to the train station?

Will depend what day of the week your cruise arrives in PC. The local bus from PC to Dunedin departs not far from the Port entry, and thru the week leaves about every 20-30 mins in peak hours, not so regular on weekends.

Here's a link: http://www.orc.govt.nz/Information-and-Services/Buses/

MP

The maths:

Taieri Gorge Railway $128 AUD return for two adults

Princess $398 AUD return for two adults

Difference $270 AUD

:rolleyes:Ann

$270 would buy a lot of drinks on board.:D

Also work out what it costs for children, and how children travel free on the train with paying adult. Much bigger saving.:D

Will depend what day of the week your cruise arrives in PC. The local bus from PC to Dunedin departs not far from the Port entry, and thru the week leaves about every 20-30 mins in peak hours, not so regular on weekends.

Here's a link: http://www.orc.govt.nz/Information-and-Services/Buses/

MP

Of course there's always taxis waiting at the dock as well, about 40-45 NZD one way to Dunedin train station. If there's likely to be a mob waiting for them, off the ship, it might be more certain to book one. That's what I've just done. :)

MP.

John

Thank you for providing the link to the Taieri Train site.

The site does not show the excursion Dunedin to Greymouth that you mention.

Do you mean the Dunedin to Palmerston, return day trip?

The maths:

Taieri Gorge Railway $128 AUD return for two adults

Princess $398 AUD return for two adults

Difference $270 AUD

:rolleyes:Ann

You won't save quite that much Annabelle. Don't forget to factor in return taxis from the port to the station and buying your lunch and drinks. You may be able to catch a bus to save more money but you run the risk of missing the train - that is if you can get seats on it. Good luck, anyway. :)