Taieri Gorge Rail Trip, DUNEDIN

We arrived home yesterday from a 14-day cruise to NZ on the Radiance of the Seas. We were in Dunedin on Friday 9th December and did the Taieri Gorge Train Trip - arranged privately.

Our trip -

Train -Booked directly by emailing - reserve@taieri.co.nz no deposit or pre-payment was required. Lined up at the booking office in the Station. Names were on the booked list. Paid our money and boarded the train.

Train departed at 9.30am and returned at 3.30pm.

Some carriages were modern, but we were in a vintage one.

Commentary is provided and we made a 15 minute stop at a small siding called Hindon for passengers to have a walk and browse local craft stalls.

Food & Drink - was available on the train - some prices:-

coffee, tea - $4NZ juice, coke - $3NZ pie & sauce - $4.50NZ

cake slices & muffins - $3.50-$4NZ beer $6NZ wine $8NZ

Lots of food and drinks to choose from.

Shuttle - The ship provided shuttle buses from Port Chalmers to Dunedin for $10 each way. We caught the other shuttle bus (operated by Headfirst Travel) with the choice of $5NZ each way or $20NZ including a 1 hour tour of Dunedin from the train station back to the ship in the afternoon. This shuttle is a green bus at the end of the pier (sometimes called the Bottom Bus), with the sign "Dunedin Train Station". Pay the driver direct.

Lunch at Middlemarch - There was a Lions Club barbecue at the Station (and more craft stalls). The Pub is across the road (with a variety of food). A little up the street is Quench (modern up-market cafe) where we had an excellent home-made pie and a glass of wine.

Cost - per person - Train ticket $97NZ, shuttle with tour $20NZ.

Total $117NZ = $90 AUD. Plus lunch & wine - about $13NZ + 10AUD.

Ship's Tour - Cost $203AUD or $99US. No shuttle required as that train departs from the pier. Only goes to Pukerangi which is at the top of the gorge (Middlemarch is about 45 - 50 minutes further with great scenery of the Otago plains). There is a short area with 2 tracks where we passed the ship's train. They appeared to be eating a picnic-style salad from plastic containers and had wine glasses on their tables.

The train trip is very scenic and both options (private or ship) would be very pleasant. We really enjoyed our day and found that doing it privately was no hassle at all and about half price.

I will check back on this thread from time to time to see if anyone has any further questions that I might be able to help with.

Quote Goldygolfer: We caught the other shuttle bus (operated by Headfirst Travel) with the choice of $5NZ each way or $20NZ including a 1 hour tour of Dunedin from the train station back to the ship in the afternoon. This shuttle is a green bus at the end of the pier (sometimes called the Bottom Bus), with the sign "Dunedin Train Station". Pay the driver direct.

Thanks for the comprehensive information on the food prices etc on train tours Goldygolfer. The day we go the trains just go to Pukerangi. I have only just found out they now have the GREEN bus (Headfirst Travel) which takes you from the port directly to the station. They didn't tell me about the tour as well for $20NZ, but they did say that H Travel will also pick you up from the train and take you to Larnach Castle before taking you back to the ship. They've made it so much easier. (Princess are charging $219 per adult for the tour.)

My sister and I took the train on our Radiance of the Seas cruise in November 2011. The cost of the trip was $199. The train picked us up at the dock and we traveled to the Gorge. We had tea and biscuits, orange juice and champagne in the morning, beer or wine or soda later, and then a boxed lunch that was very good with more beer and wine on the way back. All was included in the price of the ticket. I understand it was more then the locals charge but all food and drink is extra then. You do get the meals and wine or beer or soda and also the tea and a snack included in the price and the train loads and unloads right at the dock. This trip was well worth the convenience and the extra that we paid.

There are modern and vintage coaches available - we had a vintage coach - probably a ittle more comfortable in the modern coaches. They are set up for wheel chair and handicapped access.

This was an amazing trip.

My sister and I took the train on our Radiance of the Seas cruise in November 2011. The cost of the trip was $199. The train picked us up at the dock and we traveled to the Gorge. We had tea and biscuits, orange juice and champagne in the morning, beer or wine or soda later, and then a boxed lunch that was very good with more beer and wine on the way back. All was included in the price of the ticket. I understand it was more then the locals charge but all food and drink is extra then. You do get the meals and wine or beer or soda and also the tea and a snack included in the price and the train loads and unloads right at the dock. This trip was well worth the convenience and the extra that we paid.

There are modern and vintage coaches available - we had a vintage coach - probably a ittle more comfortable in the modern coaches. They are set up for wheel chair and handicapped access.

This was an amazing trip.

Thanks for the info. We've got this one booked for March.

goldygolfer

Thanks for the excellent information re the Taieri train trip and shuttle buses. We have already pre-booked our tickets on line with the railway station for April 8th (Sunday)

We will certainly take advantage of the extra $20 bus fare for shuttle both ways plus the hour tour of Dunedin. You would have to have rocks in your head to pay nearly AUD$200 plus AUD$140 per child for the ship's tour on the train. Kids are free if you book at the railway station.

John

We've recently returned from our Pac Pearl cruise. I booked the train directly prior to departing. It was a no-brainer for us! Two adults and 2 kids would have been approx $670 if we went with P&O, but it was $168 booking direct. As others have mentioned, one child is free with each paying adult.

We also caught the green bus, and it couldn't have been easier. They dropped us at the station in plenty of time to pay for our tickets, which were already made out and waiting for us. The bus driver explained the tour they offer, and gave us a commentary on the way in. It was a fantastic day. We had perfect weather - sunny and 24 degrees! A highlight for the kids was standing on the little platforms at the end of the carriages, especially when going over the viaduct!

...............We also caught the green bus, and it couldn't have been easier. They dropped us at the station in plenty of time to pay for our tickets, which were already made out and waiting for us. The bus driver explained the tour they offer, and gave us a commentary on the way in. It was a fantastic day. We had perfect weather - sunny and 24 degrees! A highlight for the kids was standing on the little platforms at the end of the carriages, especially when going over the viaduct!

Jo, this is what we are doing. Just one question, please - where does the Green Bus wait - inside or outside the wharf gates? :confused:

Edited by Sandielle

Hi Sandy - I'm not Jo, but perhaps I can answer your question.

The day we were there (on the Radiance) as we walked down the gangway, there was an "I-site" (NZ Tourist Bureau) set up in a container on our left as we walked along the pier. The general shuttle buses were departing from the same area. The green bus was about 40 metres further on - slightly to our right. Definitely inside the port gates.

On our return, they dropped us right near the gangway.

Perhaps Jo will confirm this.

Jo, this is what we are doing. Just one question, please - where does the Green Bus wait - inside or outside the wharf gates? :confused:

Hmmm, I don't actually remember where the wharf gates were!

I know we got off, and walked along the pier towards all the tour buses. There was an information booth on the left. The pedestrian walkway continued through a shed and out into Port Chalmers. We could see the green bus at the end of the pier, before the path goes into the shed. When we stepped off the walkway to cross the road, a security guard directed us back to the walkway. When we explained that we were after the green bus, there was no problem. I know it was not at all difficult to find. We just followed all the other people walking off. When the bus departed, we drove through the shed, so perhaps the gates were near there?

I do recall seeing someone from the Taieri Railway standing near the end of the gangway. If you aren't sure, you could ask this person. One thing that really struck us in each port, was the amount of helpful information available, and the number of people who met the ship. I know some of them were there to sell tours, but there also seemed to be volunteers as well. NZ really does a great job with their tourism! Apart from the train tour, we mostly did our own thing. Signs were plentiful, and easy follow, which was not the case when we had a few days in Sydney afterwards! Trying to find our way through the Rocks and onto the Harbour Bridge walk was quite an adventure! :eek:

Edit: Just saw Goldygolfer's post above. Yes, that sounds exactly the same! And explained much better than I did too! Thanks Goldy!

Edited by croydonCruiser

we have just come back from cruise to NZ and did the taieri gorge ride - we were able to get off the ship and easily buy tickets ($89nz or $84aus) per adult (kids riding with an adult were free), jump on a bus that was waiting (and runs every 5 mins or so) and for $5p/p were shuttled to the station and hopped on the train - viola! We were then able to hop back on same bus later that afternoon and go back to ship. We saw the other train (the ship excursion booking) whilst we were on our travels and found out that the only difference was that they were provided lunch and the shuttle service to and from the boat. It did look very nice but definitely not worth the extra $100!!! The train has snacks available and being a 4 hour return trip (we went to Pukerangi) we really over needed a light snack on the way back all of which cost maybe $10 for a couple of coffees and large cookies. It definitely seems a shame that they have booked out the entire train for that day. The train tip is definitely worth the $89 - it was a lovely experience - but I'm not so sure I'd pay the $189 to be honest. Hope things work out ok for you :)

Sandy - Even on the bus they will come aboard and check your ID. You don't need your passport, your drivers licence is fine. It didn't happen in all NZ ports, but did in most, so make sure that you have your Sea Pass card (which you need to get back on the ship anyway) and your drivers licence (or other form of photo ID).

We didn't have to go through any other immigration or customs check -just the photo ID - at any NZ port.

Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Thankyou Goldygolfer for all your info. Hope you don't mind but have forwarded some of your experience to our CC friends on Radiance doing the trip in March from Fremantle.

Also a good idea to do a group booking, they will allocate seats all together and if you have more than 10 people booked you will get a 10% discount. Being allocated seats all together is the best part. We had the rear car nearly all to ourselves.

Sandy - Even on the bus they will come aboard and check your ID. You don't need your passport, your drivers licence is fine. It didn't happen in all NZ ports, but did in most, so make sure that you have your Sea Pass card (which you need to get back on the ship anyway) and your drivers licence (or other form of photo ID).

We didn't have to go through any other immigration or customs check -just the photo ID - at any NZ port.

Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Thanks Goldygolfer.

Thankyou Goldygolfer for all your info. Hope you don't mind but have forwarded some of your experience to our CC friends on Radiance doing the trip in March from Fremantle.

Of course I don't mind. The whole point of CC is to share information.

I have appreciated what I have learnt from these boards and am therefore very happy to pass on my experiences in the hope of helping others.

Thanks Goldy, Jo and Newbie. That is great. The shed seems to be the "gate" as when you walk back from Pt Chalmers - that is if you do - that's where the Security guy has a look at your ID.

Cheers

That's right. That is where one of our friends was stopped until her husband (grumbling) went on board to retrieve her driver's licence.

That's right. That is where one of our friends was stopped until her husband (grumbling) went on board to retrieve her driver's licence.

LOL, first time there, we went on a ship's tour so came back in a bus. DH had forgotten his Driver's Licence, so I had to vouch for him. (Oh, I missed my chance there, didn't I?? Could have had some fun. :rolleyes: - the Security man had a sense of humour!)

• 1 month later...
we have just come back from cruise to NZ and did the taieri gorge ride - we were able to get off the ship and easily buy tickets ($89nz or $84aus) per adult (kids riding with an adult were free), jump on a bus that was waiting (and runs every 5 mins or so) and for $5p/p were shuttled to the station and hopped on the train - viola! We were then able to hop back on same bus later that afternoon and go back to ship. We saw the other train (the ship excursion booking) whilst we were on our travels and found out that the only difference was that they were provided lunch and the shuttle service to and from the boat. It did look very nice but definitely not worth the extra $100!!! The train has snacks available and being a 4 hour return trip (we went to Pukerangi) we really over needed a light snack on the way back all of which cost maybe $10 for a couple of coffees and large cookies. It definitely seems a shame that they have booked out the entire train for that day. The train tip is definitely worth the $89 - it was a lovely experience - but I'm not so sure I'd pay the $189 to be honest. Hope things work out ok for you :)

Thanks so much! We are doing this trip in April and have booked on our own. I was a bit worried about how to find the shuttle but you have given us great info! My kids and I are so excited for our train ride!!

We took the train trip via the Diamond last month. There is a morning trip and an afternoon one. We took the afternoon trip. The train pulls right up to the ship. Many passengers had taken the shuttle into Dunedin to book the train and were told the train doesn't come into the station when the cruise ships are in port...you have to buy your tickets on the ship. I thought the excursion was just OK...nothing special. Wish we had taken the shuttle into Dunedin and spent the entire day there! Our friends took the Castle tour and then spent the rest of the day in Dunedin...they raved about Dunedin and the castle. We felt we missed a lot by taking the train...especially after the ship diverted north that afternoon because of the weather.

• 1 year later...

If you have any problems or want to make a booking with Dunedin Train Station, then email Barbara@taieri.co.nz ATTENTION MURRAY. (yes that is a capital "B")

Murray is very helpful and will take your bookings with payment to be made on the day. Tell him you are from the Cruise Critic forum.

Ralph from Headfirst Travel is their preferred Bus Operator and a fun one at that too. Ralph drives a big bright green bus and will be parked at the end of the Pier. He will drive you to the Station and then pick you up after the train, do a tour of Dunedin, including the World's Steepest Street and back to the ship for $NZ30pp.

Cheers

Di

Edited by Dizziedi

There is another excusion train called the "Seasider" which departs Dunedin RS and follows the coast to Palmerston (I think it is) It leaves Dunedin RS at 0930 and returns at 1330. Dont know the cost but it is cheaper than the Taieri trip. You should be able to book on line at taieri.co.nz the same as booking the Taieri trip.

I would also imagine that the same green bus that takes the Taieri people to Dunedin would take the "Seasider" people as well.

We found on our last trip that the green bus was down towards the end of the pier near the big shed but there were plenty of volunteers who directed us where to go to get the bus.

The other point about the "Seasider" is that it doesnt run every day so you would have to check when booking on line to see if it is running on the day your ship is in port.

John