Cruise Critic Compromised pop-up??

Has anyone else gotten a pop-up on their computer saying that Cruise Critic's database may have been compromised today 10/24/2011 and that you had until tonight to get a free credit report that you didn't have to pay for but would have to provide a credit card number to have report run? Seemed very fishy (in keeping with the ocean theme here) and I wondered if anyone else had this experience this AM. :confused::confused:

Has anyone else gotten a pop-up on their computer saying that Cruise Critic's database may have been compromised today 10/24/2011 and that you had until tonight to get a free credit report that you didn't have to pay for but would have to provide a credit card number to have report run? Seemed very fishy (in keeping with the ocean theme here) and I wondered if anyone else had this experience this AM. :confused::confused:

what on cruise critics data base would you be worried about?

what on cruise critics data base would you be worried about?

It wasn't a matter of being worried about cruise critic database. It was a matter of how or why this pop-up appeared. And in the same vein, wondering if anyone else had gotten it. Or if my computer had picked up a virus or whatever.

And a heads-up to anyone else who might have seen it and thought it came from cruise critic - and so acted on giving their credit card number to the site the pop-up wanted to send you to. :)

Have not seen that one yet but that phishing technique is popular. Most often in emails but can be triggered visiting other web site if they can detect a CC (or other group) cookie. But... having the ability to detect that and generate a pop-up says to me there may be some other compromise on the computer. When weird stuff like that happens I usually run one or more manual A/V scans.

One nice thing about having a decent real-time scanner is hovering cursor over the link they want you to go to will show a safety rating for the destination (as well as the "real" URL). I do network security for a medium size company and chase down events like this several times a week.

Have not seen that one yet but that phishing technique is popular. Most often in emails but can be triggered visiting other web site if they can detect a CC (or other group) cookie. But... having the ability to detect that and generate a pop-up says to me there may be some other compromise on the computer. When weird stuff like that happens I usually run one or more manual A/V scans.

One nice thing about having a decent real-time scanner is hovering cursor over the link they want you to go to will show a safety rating for the destination (as well as the "real" URL). I do network security for a medium size company and chase down events like this several times a week.

Thank you for the info. My DD and SIL are engineers in computer industry. I will have them check out my computer when they are here next time.

I used to work for a company in the UK. Please note I said 'used to'. One way of attracting new customers to sign up for their 'free' credit check was to have a pop up screen appear with the offer details. This was with the consent of the owner of whichever website that was. Confusion would ensue and the person would fill in their details thinking it was part of the primary website. The 'free' period would expire and the person would discover an amount disappear from their account. This company was affiliated to one in the US.

I'm glad you ignored it.

Hey TW:

Would you mind sending me more specifics about this via email please? Community@cruisecritic.com

I would be glad to, Laura if I had any more specifics.

I just logged onto the CC website as usual. Had checked a thread or two. And suddenly this pop-up appeared (I have my security on my computer set in such a way that I really don't get many pop-ups).

It basically said that the database (I am sure it used that word) at Cruise Critic may have been compromised on Oct 24, 2011 and that a free credit check was being offered until the end of the day to make sure your credit was safe. It then said that you would be asked for credit card info to do the check but that you would not be billed.

Because it came in the form of a pop-up I immediately closed the pop-up. And it has not reappeared since then. If it should come up again I will copy it the next time and send it to you.

Sorry I can't be more help.

No...............

I did not have a popup happen but I do recall seeing a page show up when accessing cruisecritic a few days ago stating that the database was unavailable. There are also a few new phishing scams making their way around the net this week. If you are asked to provide any personal info or provide credit card numbers for something advertised as free beware.

Archived