How to request a different butler before your cruise.

tlm

We are in an owner's suite aboard the Star in January. It seems there's a very strong possibility that we are going to end up with the same butler we had on board the Dawn last February. The problem is, we had a horrible experience with him. He was replaced part way through the cruise after complaining to our concierge several times.

There was no orientation. He would not show up with our coffee in the morning. We would call him and it was like he was still in bed. He promised to bring me a pot of hot water and hot chcolate in the evenings. Never happened. Asked for a jug of orange juice to be kept in the fridge. Never happened. The Lavazzo machine was not kept up, no creamers, dirty cups left all day.

There is no way we want this butler again.

Should I email the concierge ahead of time? Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help

Toni

I would give him another try even though his performance was horrible last time. It's highly doubtful that he would still have this position if he hasn't changed his ways.

While our 1st butler (female) was no where near this bad we really didn't care for her much as when we would ask for something we always got the impression that we were putting her out. She didn't do a couple things we asked but nothing that important. When we were on the last cruise she was our butler again and she was much more accomodating and really was much more friendly.

I say see how he is the 1st day and see if he has improved. If not talk to the concierge and tell him your past experience and that you just don't want to go through that again and ask to be given someone else.

How do you know who your butler is going to be in the future? Even if he is the same, probably should be given another chance? There aren't a lot of them on each ship. Good luck.

I am not 100% sure however from the comments that were made I would bet it is him. As far as giving him another chance. How many would you like me to give him? We were very patient with him in the beginning and yet over and over things happenned. Even Belkys was furious and frustrated with him and finally switched him out. I explained to him several times that I had a medical issue which required me to take special medication at a certain time with food. It didn't seem to matter. He would not show up or would be an hour late. We would call him, no response. Then we'd call Belky's and she would call him...he'd still be late or not show at all. It was so frustrating

We are paying a lot of money for this suite and I do not wish to have the same stress as the last time.

Valleyvillage, do you happen to have Patrick's email? I'll contact him in December and explain the situation.

Toni

I don't blame the OP at all for wanting another butler. I'd feel very uncomfortable having a butler that I've had before that I had a problem(s) with.

If Patrick is as good as they say he is, he should be able to do a switch for you, Toni.:)

If Patrick is as good as they say he is, he should be able to do a switch for you, Toni.:)

Sorry, but the Concierge has zero input in the assignment of butlers. That is up to housekeeping. Secondly moving a butler to a different cabin while maintaining the rest of their assigned cabins is a logistical nightmare. The only way to accomplish what the OP wants is to is to completely reassign each butlers sections. But, what if that takes a butler away from someone that really wants the butler assigned to a specific section? Said butler might be a favorite of a number of cruisers.

If OP has such a disdain for the "strong possibility" of having a butler that they distrust they might want to see about a cabin change. Personally I have never seen a butler with as many inadequacies as OP describes and still keep their job.

The butler passenger relationship is a two way street.

I am not 100% sure however from the comments that were made I would bet it is him. As far as giving him another chance. How many would you like me to give him? We were very patient with him in the beginning and yet over and over things happenned. Even Belkys was furious and frustrated with him and finally switched him out. I explained to him several times that I had a medical issue which required me to take special medication at a certain time with food. It didn't seem to matter. He would not show up or would be an hour late. We would call him, no response. Then we'd call Belky's and she would call him...he'd still be late or not show at all. It was so frustrating

We are paying a lot of money for this suite and I do not wish to have the same stress as the last time.

Valleyvillage, do you happen to have Patrick's email? I'll contact him in December and explain the situation.

Toni

I feel your pain. I had a butler last year on Jewel that was awful. We were not demanding people in any way, maybe breakfast 3 times for week. And yet the couple next to us were ordering full dinners from main dining room all week, and they just loved him.(which I didn't understand!) I would not have dared asked him for anythin more. He was just plain BAD! If I go again, and he is butler, I will ask to have him replaced. If they don't have another butler available, I will ask for a regular room service guy, cause honestly they were friendlier!

Sorry, but the Concierge has zero input in the assignment of butlers. That is up to housekeeping. Secondly moving a butler to a different cabin while maintaining the rest of their assigned cabins is a logistical nightmare. The only way to accomplish what the OP wants is to is to completely reassign each butlers sections. But, what if that takes a butler away from someone that really wants the butler assigned to a specific section? Said butler might be a favorite of a number of cruisers.

If OP has such a disdain for the "strong possibility" of having a butler that they distrust they might want to see about a cabin change. Personally I have never seen a butler with as many inadequacies as OP describes and still keep their job.

The Concierge on our cruise wished we had let him know about butler sooner. It gave me the impression he would have had him changed.

This very same butler was removed by the conceirge on a recent cruise.

Welcome back, I hope you had a fabulous cruise.

This very same butler was removed by the conceirge on a recent cruise.

Maybe removed at the suggestion of the Concierge, but not by Concierge himself. I have requested a specific butler in the past after finding out they were on the ship and the Concierge made the request of Housekeeping.

But, let's not argue over semantics. ;)

You all have me a bit worried now. We will be in an OS deck 10 in March and we make good use of our butler .

( we also tip them very well). A quality butler can make or break a cruise , I have had both and the frustration can become a bit much. But when I say we use our butler often its to the point that it could be a deal breaker if I can look forward to this Das as he's been described . I have not done a search on him yet but if what some of you are saying is true then I have some work to do.

I look forward to hearing more opinions .

( were not as snobby as this sounds , really :D )

thanks in advance ;)

All of this years posts (including the other one you are posting on regarding this) comment on what a great butler this guy is. As was said on that post, last year he was new. Current posters "love" him. Dirty cups not being picked up could be the steward as well as the butler. Being late with your food could be a lot of things, did you try room service, if it was urgent that you eat then? What did the hotel director say when you escalated you issue to him/her? It not like NCL to let an upset suite guest just sit around being unhappy. If it means that much, how about another suite or different ship. You say you don't want to give him another chance and rearranging the butlers throughout the ship seems a bit extreme?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I though on another post someone said you could not contact your concierge/butler directly and had to wait until you board.

[/quote

I disagree. We are very easy to please and thought our butler was not good. So did two other suites. And both of these couples were very down to earth and low maintenance, one was in the Owner's Suite. We had ALL complained to Karin, our wonderful concierge. I have also read of other CCrs mentioning that they had negative experiences with this butler. So, sometimes it really is a one-way street.

And our concierge said to come to her with any issues with the butler during the cruise, (after our first remarks).

Our butler is no longer with NCL, so it is a moot point.

[/quote

I disagree. We are very easy to please and thought our butler was not good. So did two other suites. And both of these couples were very down to earth and low maintenance, one was in the Owner's Suite. We had ALL complained to Karin, our wonderful concierge. I have also read of other CCrs mentioning that they had negative experiences with this butler. So, sometimes it really is a one-way street.

And our concierge said to come to her with any issues with the butler during the cruise, (after our first remarks).

Our butler is no longer with NCL, so it is a moot point.

I am confused...what are you disagreeing with? You re-made all of my points for me. :confused:

You all have me a bit worried now. We will be in an OS deck 10 in March and we make good use of our butler .

( we also tip them very well). A quality butler can make or break a cruise , I have had both and the frustration can become a bit much. But when I say we use our butler often its to the point that it could be a deal breaker if I can look forward to this Das as he's been described . I have not done a search on him yet but if what some of you are saying is true then I have some work to do.

I look forward to hearing more opinions .

( were not as snobby as this sounds , really :D )

thanks in advance ;)

Das was our butler on the Star in May 2011. He was absolutely awful! We asked him for a couple of things early on and we never received them. It got to the point where we ended up making all of our further requests through Patrick (Concierge). I think that we saw Das a total of two times on the 7 day cruise. If I ever was on a cruise again with Das as my butler, I would very promptly ask for a different butler. I don't blame the OP at all for taking this position!

All of this years posts (including the other one you are posting on regarding this) comment on what a great butler this guy is. As was said on that post, last year he was new. Current posters "love" him. Dirty cups not being picked up could be the steward as well as the butler. Being late with your food could be a lot of things, did you try room service, if it was urgent that you eat then? What did the hotel director say when you escalated you issue to him/her? It not like NCL to let an upset suite guest just sit around being unhappy. If it means that much, how about another suite or different ship. You say you don't want to give him another chance and rearranging the butlers throughout the ship seems a bit extreme?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I though on another post someone said you could not contact your concierge/butler directly and had to wait until you board.

We cruised this year...Feb 11. The last poster Jamisonke had the same problem and he cruised in May of this year.

The steward ended up doing things for us that were supposed to be the Butler's responsibility and he wasn't too thrilled about it.

We escalated the problem three times to Belky's our concierge and she finally replaced him half way through. We gave him a lot of chances.

My medical issues are due to a double lung transplant. It means I take anti rejection drugs and they must me taken at a certain time and with food. I explained this to Das several times and it was like it went in one ear and out the other. That was the only food we ordered in our suite...

(also if you call room service they say they will call your butler for you)

We are not interested inswitching cabins, or ships...why should we?

Thanks everyone for your comments...I'll let you know what happens.

Toni

A few posters have mentioned recently that NCL is calling suite travelers ahead of time to get their preferences on some things-- if you get this call, you might be able to verify whether he is your butler, and if so, ask for a change, or indicate ahead of time that you don't want him so that they can arrange the butlers' room assignments prior to the passengers boarding, so that no one has to make changes mid-trip.

I hope it works out for you!

We cruised this year...Feb 11. The last poster Jamisonke had the same problem and he cruised in May of this year.

The steward ended up doing things for us that were supposed to be the Butler's responsibility and he wasn't too thrilled about it.

We escalated the problem three times to Belky's our concierge and she finally replaced him half way through. We gave him a lot of chances.

My medical issues are due to a double lung transplant. It means I take anti rejection drugs and they must me taken at a certain time and with food. I explained this to Das several times and it was like it went in one ear and out the other. That was the only food we ordered in our suite...

(also if you call room service they say they will call your butler for you)

We are not interested inswitching cabins, or ships...why should we?

Thanks everyone for your comments...I'll let you know what happens.

Toni

My previous post I stated that I think you should give him another chance but in reading more of your circumstances I can understand why you wouldn't want to do this. The fact that you told him about your needs and the reason why and to be so uncaring to not help you out I find appalling.

You absolutely should not have to switch cabins and should receive the level of services which you paid for.

I still find it puzzling as to how this person can still be in that position if he has not changed his ways. I would think that if he was this bad to all that he was supposed to service he wouldn't be making much money as I doubt people would tip for such poor service.

A few posters have mentioned recently that NCL is calling suite travelers ahead of time to get their preferences on some things-- if you get this call, you might be able to verify whether he is your butler, and if so, ask for a change, or indicate ahead of time that you don't want him so that they can arrange the butlers' room assignments prior to the passengers boarding, so that no one has to make changes mid-trip.

I think this is an excellent idea and hope you get this call and this can be resolved before your cruise.

My best to your health and many more stress free sailings.:D

Right now I've only read that the Gem consierge is calling the suite passengers. I don't recall seeing that it has went fleet wide yet.

Right now I've only read that the Gem consierge is calling the suite passengers. I don't recall seeing that it has went fleet wide yet.

I wish it were fleet-wide. This was one of the few things I liked more about RCCL. We travel in a big group with my grandparents and brother with autism so we have some unique considerations, but everything was handled by the time we got on ship. On RCCL they called all OS and RS the week before your cruise to confirm no problems with shore excursions, any special requests, spa appointments, etc. That was nice.

In contrast, when we showed up last year with the same group in both GVs, it took four hours to get on the ship, the room wasn't opened up when we got there, and there was a lot of stuff to be done once we hit the room that we all would have liked to have had set before we got on board--especially after a four hour boarding nightmare. (Have any of you tried to explain to someone with autism and severe OCD that even though it took you fifteen minutes to get through security on the last cruise its taking four hours now?)

I am hoping this cruise will be better.

Last year we had John as our butler. He was very friendly. We are a big group (11 of us), and when we DID order food in it was quite an undertaking--but I think we limited the whole group eating in to just once. There were some remarks about how hard it was get us all what we wanted for breakfast, but I mostly ignored them because for what we pay for the GVs I am entitled to a difficult breakfast run. But John was almost always around. But apparently he's been upgraded so we're in the drawing for this time around.

We had only minor logistical issues with our last concierge which I understand can come along with a group of 11. Although, again, I think that is another reason NCL could call ahead for suites--or at least the GVs where you have at least 6 people in them--11 in our case since we take them both. And again, I get 11 is a big group--but I would think that you would--knowing you have a family of 11 traveling in your GVs--have options ready or be on top of getting plans set early. My only REAL beef with our last concierge was he told my grandparents to meet him for shows at a certain time, and when they arrived at said time he wasn't there but he had given away the GV seats to some of the other suite passengers he was "closer" to. So that kind of stunk. I felt bad for gma and gpa since getting to the show isn't a hop skip and a jump anymore.

I guess it is hard since our RCCL concierge was SO amazing given our unique crowd, maybe anyone would have been a let down? Especially without getting things in order before? Maybe a year in between will have made a clean slate.

Archived