Travel bed/mattress to recommend to prevent back pain?

Beach Nut

I had a horrendous experience with a saggy, almost hammock shaped mattress on Celebrity's Summit last January. My back went out the first night and they had nothing on board to fix the situation. It continued to worsen throughout the 14 days and I was in such pain that I was unable to go ashore at 2 ports. I would have gladly paid a premium of hundreds of dollars for a supportive mattress, but there was absolutely nothing on board, I was told repeatedly, no matter who I asked.

We have cruised a dozen times, and this is the first time I encountered this particular problem, but it was a biggie that I couldn't ignore. Now I am apprehensive about booking another cruise and encountering the same issue.

I have been trying to locate a supportive travel bed or mattress that I can take with me on subsequent cruises and have not been able to find one that is both portable (in a large suitcase) and supportive of the middle back area.

Does anyone know if such a product exists?

Also, as Princess will be changing their smoking on balconies policy, and as I have read of "complaints" that Princess' beds are "hard", I am considering a cruise with them next summer. Is there anyone out there with a back that goes out on saggy mattresses that can tell me of their experience(s) with Princess' mattresses? It seems to me that a hard mattress might be better for the lower back than one that sags in the middle?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Carnival has the best mattresses and sells their comfort bedding. Their pillows are wonderfull.

I know this probably isnt what you wanted to hear, but they do have the best beds of Princess, RCL and Carnival.

I had broken my 2nd shoulder and had not been able to roll over in 6 months.. but could on the Carnival mattress and perfect pillows (for me).

What about a twin sized AeroBed? It is very comfortable and can be inflated or deflated to suit your preference in firmness. A larger one would likely not fit in the cabin or would be too large/heavy to transport.

We have one and take it on land-based trips. I have never taken it on a cruise. It would certainly fit in a suitcase but would take up extra weight and room. If you drive to port, this would not be an issue. I think that mine would even fit in a carry-on. You would need to put it on the floor to sleep. You could stand it on end to store it when not in use. I am not sure if the cruise line would supply linens or if you would need to provide your own.

I suffered for a week on a rock-hard Princess mattress. I do not have back problems but have a huge problem with my arms falling asleep when I sleep. I LOVE my Sleep Number bed at home and miss it when I travel.

Maybe one of those foam toppers you can buy at Costco would work

I used to sleep with a board under the mattress but may not help if the mattress is too saggy

Try Oceania ...they have the best beds ;)

The famous Sleep Number line of beds has sizes small enough for travel. Some airline pilots tote along their own Sleep Number bed. I would visit one of their stores and ask.

Is this like a really bed or a topper?

I just cannot imagine carrying a mattress onboard ;)

The Sleep Number is a real inflatable bed. We own 2 of them and are very happy with them. Great as we can adjust it as needs be. My husband has horrible back and neck problems and tried other (expensive) beds before getting his Sleep Number bed. He can adjust his as he likes as can I with mine. We make them up as a king sized bed on a European style platform.

Pilots who travel with their own Sleep Number bed deflate them and put them into a suitcase. Easy to do with a twin.

The people at the Sleep Number stores are very used to questions about this subject.

I had a horrendous experience with a saggy, almost hammock shaped mattress on Celebrity's Summit last January. My back went out the first night and they had nothing on board to fix the situation. It continued to worsen throughout the 14 days and I was in such pain that I was unable to go ashore at 2 ports. I would have gladly paid a premium of hundreds of dollars for a supportive mattress, but there was absolutely nothing on board, I was told repeatedly, no matter who I asked.

We have cruised a dozen times, and this is the first time I encountered this particular problem, but it was a biggie that I couldn't ignore. Now I am apprehensive about booking another cruise and encountering the same issue.

I have been trying to locate a supportive travel bed or mattress that I can take with me on subsequent cruises and have not been able to find one that is both portable (in a large suitcase) and supportive of the middle back area.

Does anyone know if such a product exists?

Also, as Princess will be changing their smoking on balconies policy, and as I have read of "complaints" that Princess' beds are "hard", I am considering a cruise with them next summer. Is there anyone out there with a back that goes out on saggy mattresses that can tell me of their experience(s) with Princess' mattresses? It seems to me that a hard mattress might be better for the lower back than one that sags in the middle?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

I have a bad back which "goes out" occasionally - and a too soft bed can do it. I have never had a problem on a Princess bed.

You guys are all wonderful. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me with this process. I was feeling so frustrated and alone, as the last 3 cruises I've taken have resulted in my experiencing significant and different health problems. This last one was not the worst, but I began to feel as if I was insane to keep trying to cruise, or even to travel at all - as I also got ill from 2 nights in a moldy hotel room on a 2 week land trip in Germany last month.

Your responses have given me the courage to once again plunge earnestly, hopefully, and perhaps foolheartedly, into my next sailing.

I will go to a sleep number store to find out about their travel bed, and also continue to research inflatable mattresses that might work.

Because my back and soft beds don't get along, I now feel more confident about going with Princess next summer.

I really also have to consider another Oceania cruise, as they did seem to have things set up to help you keep your back and lungs out of trouble. Too bad that their prices have risen into the stratosphere. :(

Happy and safe travels to you all. Thanks again.

Susan

Archived