I bet no one has asked this fishing question before

BurtonRiderT6

Ok so I've been on a couple of cruises and this upcoming cruise a couple of friends are going as well. One of them wants to bring some of his fishing equipment. I told him that he wouldn't be able to. So he is going to bring a collapsible rod and some lures. Has anyone ever run into something of this nature? No matter what I say he seems to think he can smuggle on fishing stuff and fish on the private island or at another port with his stuff. Will he be sent to the naughty room?

There's a very real chance that it be snagged at embarkation such that he can check it out at a poty stop. Palette knives and pliers get that treatment.

What he'll discover is that he needs a fishing license in those ports of call.

Ok so I've been on a couple of cruises and this upcoming cruise a couple of friends are going as well. One of them wants to bring some of his fishing equipment. I told him that he wouldn't be able to. So he is going to bring a collapsible rod and some lures. Has anyone ever run into something of this nature? No matter what I say he seems to think he can smuggle on fishing stuff and fish on the private island or at another port with his stuff. Will he be sent to the naughty room?

Have done it on just about all my cruises, sans the Greek islands.

Airport security can sometimes be a pain since I put the tackle in my carry on, but they always let me through after searching me!

Make sure you have no knives in your carry on, pack them in the checked stuff...if you have it.

The ships security never even blinked. I fished right under the Dawn in Bermuda, figured the water was pretty deep there. While I didn't catch much it was fun and cheap!

Try smuggling some shrimp from one of the dining rooms for bait;)

There is no need to ‘smuggle’ fishing equipment aboard a ship. There is no restriction by the cruiseline as I have done it several times, specifically on cruises to Bermuda.

We have fished several times right from the pier where the cruise ship docks. We have caught every thing from small aquarium type fish to larger hard-fighting tuna/jack-like species.

Some recommendations would be:

To pack a collapsible travel rod, as a regular one or two piece rod is difficult to transport and can be damaged easily.

Do some research on fishing regulations on the ports you are visiting to make sure there are not any permit or license requirements.

Although ship screening has not been a problem, carrying fishing tackle through airport security usually ends up in a bag search. The lead in the fishing weights and fishing lures shows up as suspicious items on airport x-ray machines.

As far as I can find Jamaica and Grand Cayman probably don't require fishing licenses for shore fishing, but their are protected areas he'd have to know where they were in Grand Cayman. I've found conflicting reports for Cozumel.

Your friend would be best to contact NCL directly to make sure he can bring his fishing stuff onboard. I really don't know why he wouldn't be able to bring his rod and lures, people bring snorkelling gear. But as stated he probably wouldn't be able to bring things like pliers with him. He would definately have to do the catch and release thing since he couldn't bring the fish onboard once he caught it ;). Only prepackaged food can be brought onboard.

And I would also recommend that he research for sure where he needed a license and where he could go to fish once in port. Unless he likes the thought of possibly staying in a foreign counry's jails for breaking their laws.:eek:

To each there own, I guess everyone likes to do what amuses them.

I bring my Swiss Army Knife with me where ever I go. Pack it in your suitcase not the carry on. I once forgot to take it out of my pocket when cruising from NY (drove to port) and it was discovered by NCL security.

I told them that I use the cork screw in my cabin, and that I have had this knife for more then 20 years. They tagged it with my cabin number and delivered it to me later in the day!

Can he bring his fishing gear on the ship? Are you kidding??

On the TAs off our aft balcony we are required to troll for anything that bites. Where do you think the fresh fish is coming from, six days into the cruise? :)

Garycarla, My thoughts would have been for liability reasons. Do you really want someone heaving a line from the aft end and trolling the caribbean? It just seemed like they would not take that chance or the chance of someone casting a line out on the private island. Not only could you hook someone but you could attract unwanted fish, i.e. barracuda or shark. Not saying it will happen but you can't rule out the possibility that it won't. Taste the water you're in it next time, if it's salty I bet there are sharks in it. I love fishing but I also like to abide by the rules, unlike my friend who plays the heck with asking I'll just take my chances game. I like to know since fines/consequences are not what I factor in to my cruise budget.

Sorry I didn't know it was an acceptable practice to bring a 6-8" filet knife on a cruise ship.

Garycarla, My thoughts would have been for liability reasons. Do you really want someone heaving a line from the aft end and trolling the caribbean? It just seemed like they would not take that chance or the chance of someone casting a line out on the private island. Not only could you hook someone but you could attract unwanted fish, i.e. barracuda or shark. Not saying it will happen but you can't rule out the possibility that it won't. Taste the water you're in it next time, if it's salty I bet there are sharks in it. I love fishing but I also like to abide by the rules, unlike my friend who plays the heck with asking I'll just take my chances game. I like to know since fines/consequences are not what I factor in to my cruise budget.

Sorry I didn't know it was an acceptable practice to bring a 6-8" filet knife on a cruise ship.

You come across like a lawyer, or an insurance salesmen.:eek:

I'm fishing not splitting the atom or playing with explosives.

Since I can't take the fish I might catch on the ship I have no need for a filet knife...unless I run into a lawyer or a salesman:D

You can bring almost anything on a cruise ship...with prior notice and some $$$$;)

Just about every reef species and the predators that fed on them have ciguatera in the caribbean. So eating them is really out of the question. If your worried about pliers just take a cheap pair of foreceps instead. Fingernail clippers cut line, most anglers have them anyway. But be careful for licenses. Each island nation requires a non resident license too. Lots of info on this can be found on sportfishingmagazine.com, floridasportsman.com and most every flyfishing forum.

Just wanted to mention that fishing off the ship is not allowed!

Do make sure that you know the local laws. Here in Ca. you don't need a fishing license to fish off a public pier in the ocean but don't fish from the beach without one! So laws can be unique.

Garycarla, My thoughts would have been for liability reasons. Do you really want someone heaving a line from the aft end and trolling the caribbean? ..

My thoughts were more about what you can BRING ONTO the ship.

As to actually fishing off a ship underway, I would not be surprised if the ship had some rules. I think most fish while in port, either from the ship, or ashore.

My thoughts were more about what you can BRING ONTO the ship.

As to actually fishing off a ship underway, I would not be surprised if the ship had some rules. I think most fish while in port, either from the ship, or ashore.

It would be very difficult to fish off the ship...it's too high off the water to land a fish... there are usually better things to do while you are aboard;)

Why do people think you could not take any of the following on a ship, or on an airplane?

fishing gear

pliers

knives

etc.

All are perfectly legal items for both modes of transportation.

The pliers ( for opening paint tubes) and palette knives were confiscated. She (my wife) was allowed to check them back out when departing for shore. Believe me, I have no reason to make up the story. When I mentioned that I could do more hert to someone with a butter knife than the palette knife.....well, let's just say they have no tolerance for wisecracks. Since her paintbox looks like a tackle box, we were stopped more than once with the admonishment that fishing-tackle boxes were not allowed as carry-ons. We had to open it twice after embarkation.

I was afraid that they were not planning to return the knives and pliers and would need to take them back to the car. I explained the pliers were older than me and wanted them back. They were just checked with security. We were not allowed to use them on the ship. I'm thinking that what's legal and what's allowed aren't the same.

Why do people think you could not take any of the following on a ship, or on an airplane?

fishing gear

pliers

knives

etc.

All are perfectly legal items for both modes of transportation.

Airplane - obvious unless in checked luggage.

Ships - If you check out the new cruisers site for "what to pack" you will see many warnings about bringing any tool type items, pliers, screwdrivers etc., that have been taken away from pax.

As for knives I'd really have to say it may depend on what type you are trying to bring, some knives are illegal in some countries. My husband never goes anywhere without his pocket knife and it was fine. I figure they have bigger knives to cut your steak in the restaurant than a pocket knife ;)

Not sure why the fishing equipment but it was a good question and better to know ahead of time than have a problem on embarkation and then when you return, have CC loyalists say well why didn't you just ask.

It would be very difficult to fish off the ship...it's too high off the water to land a fish... there are usually better things to do while you are aboard;)

And besides - since you are not allowed to bring fish on board, you would have to cut the line before landing them !!:rolleyes::D:D

I have seen people bring fishing gear before as well as big dive knives.

They usually hold them and you can pick them up when you go ashore.

Many people are so used to "No" that they feel almost questionable is not ok when it is perfectly acceptable.

Archived