Hamilton and St. George

Jan_In_Maine

Which would you plan to spend a longer time in Hamilton or St. George and why? I'm trying to plan our days (next year :rolleyes:) and can't decide which would have more to look at, etc. Thanks. Jan

i just got back on sunday from my first cruise to bermuda, and i'd have to say...that the answer is totally subjective. in doing the research for my trip, it SEEMED like there was more than i wanted to do/see in hamilton--but i ended up spending WAY more time in st. george. it depends upon what you are looking for. hamilton is a CITY--way more city than i was even picturing. st. george is beautiful and quaint. so if you're looking for shopping and sites--you'll spend more time in hamilton. if you are happy wandering around taking photos for hours (like i am) you'll want more time in st. george. also--the surrounding areas of both have a lot to offer. i walked to tobacco bay from st. george and loved it--i took a bus to the botanical gardens from hamilton and it was only ok. i did not make it to fort hamilton, however, though that was originally on my list. so--what kind of sightseeing do you do? that will help make the decision!

happy planning!

Tracy - I think you answered my question when you said St. George is quaint and Hamilton is a city ... I'm looking more toward quaint.

I'm reading your report on another thread ... you talked about downloading a self-guided walking tour - I am going to assume that you down loaded the walking tour on your kindle. Now I just need to know what "self-guided walking tour" in particular you are talking about :)

I think my DH would love to go to the beach and snorkle (tobacco Bay) ... so St. George it is. (we will probably spend some time in Hamilton also, but think our long day will probably start with St. George and then see what is left of the day to do other things.

Bob - I think peaceful sounds lovely! Jan

ok, maybe downloaded was the wrong word. i found a walking tour on frommers...one of hamilton and one of bermuda. i emailed them to myself and then copy/pasted them into the notes section on my iphone...

here are the links....

Hamilton

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bermuda/0091020033.html

St. George

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bermuda/0091020034.html

i guess i could have put them on my kindle, but i try to travel as lightly as possible when out and about for the day--and my iphone is smaller than a kindle! ;)

hope that helps!

ok, maybe downloaded was the wrong word. i found a walking tour on frommers...one of hamilton and one of bermuda. i emailed them to myself and then copy/pasted them into the notes section on my iphone...

here are the links....

Hamilton

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bermuda/0091020033.html

St. George

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bermuda/0091020034.html

i guess i could have put them on my kindle, but i try to travel as lightly as possible when out and about for the day--and my iphone is smaller than a kindle! ;)

hope that helps!

Thank you very much, it does help! Jan

Which would you plan to spend a longer time in Hamilton or St. George and why? I'm trying to plan our days (next year :rolleyes:) and can't decide which would have more to look at, etc. Thanks. Jan

I love St. George's for the same reasons as everyone else...plus...there are a few little shops in St. George's that are unique and purses and such are handmade...some of the clothes I only find here...also I wear Shalimar and there is a Guerlin store (who makes shalimar and other perfumes) there, so i get a big bottle of perfume there at the same price I pay for the small one at home.:D Plus I just love walking around there and we always get a drink at the White Horse Tavern on the water. But, I like Hamilton as well. My dh doesn't go here with me because I usually go here to shop...I still enjoy going to Hamilton and one year we went to the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute. We really enjoyed that. But, going to either place the ferry ride is a beautiful and relaxing time.

I love St. George's for the same reasons as everyone else...plus...there are a few little shops in St. George's that are unique and purses and such are handmade...some of the clothes I only find here...also I wear Shalimar and there is a Guerlin store (who makes shalimar and other perfumes) there, so i get a big bottle of perfume there at the same price I pay for the small one at home.:D Plus I just love walking around there and we always get a drink at the White Horse Tavern on the water. But, I like Hamilton as well. My dh doesn't go here with me because I usually go here to shop...I still enjoy going to Hamilton and one year we went to the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute. We really enjoyed that. But, going to either place the ferry ride is a beautiful and relaxing time.

Unique shops sound lovely! :D I never thought about the ferry ride as being beautiful and relaxing --- thanks, I was only thinking about it being a way to get from point A to point B.....Jan

Unique shops sound lovely! :D I never thought about the ferry ride as being beautiful and relaxing --- thanks, I was only thinking about it being a way to get from point A to point B.....Jan

Especially the ferry ride to St. George's....it's is a beautiful ride...one time we took the bus to a restaurant in Somerset...we always eat 1 lunch in Bermuda...and we got back on the bus and continued farther into Somerset where we hadn't been before..then we crossed the street and took the bus back to the dockyard...very interesting ride:D On our last visit in June we went to Gibb's lighthouse...oh my gosh the trip there and the view up there was amazing..another part of the island we had never been to...ok...I can go on and on so I'll stop...

• 1 month later...

Hello...I think that you answered my question of St. George or Hamilton (St. George seems to be more relaxed)...how do we get there from the ship?; taxi? ...have you been to Horseshoe beach?; how close is it to the ship, and is transportation available to and from the beach?...looking forward to suggestions and answers...thank you...

Hello...I think that you answered my question of St. George or Hamilton (St. George seems to be more relaxed)...how do we get there from the ship?; taxi? ...have you been to Horseshoe beach?; how close is it to the ship, and is transportation available to and from the beach?...looking forward to suggestions and answers...thank you...

Yes there are busses and taxis to St. George's...but, take the ferry...it is a beautiful ride..you get to see alot of the island and alot of the coast and houses...beautiful and relaxing ride...there is a special bus to Horseshoe Bay...the transportation in Bermuda is great...

we arrive at 12 pm...does anyone know the times the ferry leaves and returns to and from St. George...:confused:

Next year's spring/summer ferry schedule won't be published for months, as it won't become effective until April, 2012. However, if it's the same as the 2011 schedule, you are out of luck if you're only going to be in Bermuda for one day and your ship docks at noon, as the last ferry from Dockyard to St. George's will have already departed. Unfortunately the ferry service St. George's has been greatly reduced over the past couple of years. In any case, you'll have to wait several months before finding out what the schedule will be.

By the way, may I suggest that you post your questions on only one thread, rather than three as you've done so far. It would make it easier on those of us providing answers.

Archived