Qantas grounds every flight

Not surprising that this has happened. Qantas can't really compete internationally against other carriers with its high labor costs. Something had to give.

However, it seemed to take the Labor Government by surprise. Not that's hard. :D

This is devastating news. We have dear friends coming over from Canada atm for a pre holiday and then cruise, and their flight in LA, which was meant to leave only one hr after the announcement is showing 'cancelled'.......I am sooo worried for them. They must be besides themselves. They are not even near home, after having travelled to LA from Toronto for connecting flights. So worried.

Jen

This is devastating news. We have dear friends coming over from Canada atm for a pre holiday and then cruise, and their flight in LA, which was meant to leave only one hr after the announcement is showing 'cancelled'.......I am sooo worried for them. They must be besides themselves. They are not even near home, after having travelled to LA from Toronto for connecting flights. So worried.

Jen

I heard that they all had boarded that flight.....then the plane had to taxi back and offload everyone

Just read news of meeting with Fairwork Aust in Melb at 10pm tonight. Hope they sort it out.

Unless both sides agree.....this can take up to 21 days to go through the courts and arbitration. It's not so simple unfortunately.

I am sure the government will get this to the courts and sorted out quickly.

I actually work for an airline and I can not remember when a CEO grounded there entire fleet before. Also when the fleet is grounded they will have to do a number of safety checks before they start flying again, so it could be days before the fleet is in the air.

What on earth does this CEO Joyce think he is doing!! He has left passengers stranded all around the world. Employees without a job to go to, shareholders get no dividends for 2 years whilst he sits at home ( with his huge salary of 5 mil plus his bonus of 2 mil) and thinks that he can fix it by grounding all the flights. Any glimmer of hope for our national airline is diminishing fast!!

I can't believe what they have done in grounding the fleet. I really feel for those caught up in this selfish debacle by Alan Joyce (he should give his bonus back).

I was in Sydney back in 1989 and was stranded when the pilots were sacked. It was such a horrible time. I had to get a flight back to Brisbane. It was a nightmare trying to ring the airline then, wasn't the phone systems like they have now.

I wonder if they will do like what they did back then.

They even used military aircraft back then. I was offered a choice of flights on either military aircraft or pay I think $30 to fly business class with Brisbane Airways. I chose to fly business class, and was treated like royalty.:)

Mind you though I wasn't offered any payment eg accommodation for the time I was stranded in Sydney, I was even back to work late.

This is from ABC news...

The Transport Workers Union (TWU) has slammed Qantas' decision to ground its entire fleet and lockout its staff as reckless, unwarranted and disgraceful.

That's an interesting stance from the TWU...considering it's really no different to the way Tony Sheldon and the TWU have been conducting themselves over the last 4 weeks. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with Alan Joyce's decision, but I am sick to death of these people ruining innocent people's holidays. These Qantas workers get paid more than a lot of people who have paid their hard earned cash to fly on Qantas. They've also spent their hard earned cash on connecting flights, hotel accommodation, hire cars, cruises, etc. In the end the striking workers might get their pay rises, but a lot of innocent Australians will have lost a lot of money as a result of their actions. And will these people be compensated? By the unions? By Qantas? By travel insurance? Nope, we just have to suffer! But as long as they get their almighty pay rises... :angry:

This is from ABC news...

The Transport Workers Union (TWU) has slammed Qantas' decision to ground its entire fleet and lockout its staff as reckless, unwarranted and disgraceful.

That's an interesting stance from the TWU...considering it's really no different to the way Tony Sheldon and the TWU have been conducting themselves over the last 4 weeks. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with Alan Joyce's decision, but I am sick to death of these people ruining innocent people's holidays. These Qantas workers get paid more than a lot of people who have paid their hard earned cash to fly on Qantas. They've also spent their hard earned cash on connecting flights, hotel accommodation, hire cars, cruises, etc. In the end the striking workers might get their pay rises, but a lot of innocent Australians will have lost a lot of money as a result of their actions. And will these people be compensated? By the unions? By Qantas? By travel insurance? Nope, we just have to suffer! But as long as they get their almighty pay rises... :angry:

I can sympathize I bought budget tickets on Qantas for my cruise months ago, before any strike action happened. Last week I paid $187 to change my tickets to the day before the cruise to try and make sure we didn't miss the cruise. Now this. I can only hope this is sorted before nov 28 or we will be out of pocket approx $900. With no refund available and we still have to get to Sydney. Boy do I wish I'ld booked through Virgin now.

Alan Joyce what a hideous decision! I think he is trying to strong arm the Unions to back off and the Govt. to intervene. He obviously doesn't care now about the disruption to people and their lives now that he has his huge pay rise and bonus.

I am not a hard core lefty but I find it wholly grotesque that when in the middle of pay disputes for workers, who do not get paid excessive amounts of money, the CEO is given a pay rise amounting to an increase in pay of 71% taking his pay to 5 million. Isn't that a slap in the face to 'mere' workers and the families!

f....it,

Leaving tomorrow, and nothing is guaranteed in life. Worst luck! But then again how boring life would be, if it was! :D

MP.

Well I hope your trip runs smoothly. :)

And no, nothing in (normal day-to-day) life is guaranteed. However, when it comes to things like holidays, which most people save and pay a lot of money for, there should be some level of expectation that things will go to plan and you will get your money's worth.

This seems to be a very provocative move by Alan Joyce, and, whilst I am not a particular fan of the performance of Qantas cabin crews, makes me wonder if the problem really stems from Qantas management just being bloody minded in the negotiations.

And when you hear of Joyce's huge bonus it is hard not to believe there is one law for the management and a different one for the workers! For instance, it is OK for Joyce to get a huge rise despite minimal increase in share price in recent years, and yet the workers are refused what appears (when compared to Joyce's bonus) to be a relatively small increase.

I know the total cost of any increase for the workers is much greater (due to their numbers) but surely the example set by the Board in proposing Joyce's bonus at yesterday's annual meeting was disgraceful.

And before we lay too much into the strikers let us not forget that the current world economic crises which is causing difficulties for airlines certainly wasn't caused by the workers - it was the finance industry and managers - who still seem to be able to carry on in their same excessive ways!

I certainly feel for all those impacted by this action by the airline and hope the problem is quickly resolved by compromise on ALL sides.

Archived