Qantas grounds every flight

lynsteve

While I feel bad for all of the people affected that need to travel... I really have to say bravo to a company for having the balls to shut down their company instead of letting a union (or in this case 3 of them) cause it to come to a halt. Unions (at least in the US) have reached the point of harm and no longer actually do what they were designed to do. They are antiquated and now the problem in reverse, making demands that are unrealistic in this economy and protecting bad employees. If they were in the US I would do business with them in the future for taking this stand and doing what they believe in.

Mabye the employees and their unions will finally resolve their issues since the company has self inflicted a "strike" for them. I hope for everyone that needs them sakes that the employees can do that.

Now that´s a way to ruin a good company. It´s really sad to see one of the best airlines go downhill like this.

They used to be the safest airline with no accidents for many years until the management decided to save money on maintenance.

Now they ruining their image even more. I´m not a fan of the unions, but this one has not would drive me away from Qantas and not support them.

While I feel bad for all of the people affected that need to travel... I really have to say bravo to a company for having the balls to shut down their company instead of letting a union (or in this case 3 of them) cause it to come to a halt. Unions (at least in the US) have reached the point of harm and no longer actually do what they were designed to do. They are antiquated and now the problem in reverse, making demands that are unrealistic in this economy and protecting bad employees. If they were in the US I would do business with them in the future for taking this stand and doing what they believe in.

Mabye the employees and their unions will finally resolve their issues since the company has self inflicted a "strike" for them. I hope for everyone that needs them sakes that the employees can do that.

I am not a unionist but you need to understand that this striking is about the airline relocating a lot of its maintenance service etc to Asia. It is about screwing the workers, of which a lot will lose their jobs. The company is only interested in increasing its profit. They don't care about how they treat the staff. The concern with relocating its maintenance is the safety of the airline. Qantas has had an really good track record with safety.

The greedy CEO Alan Joyce was given on Friday a $5 million bonus, he is the one that should be sacked, including the board. The company had its shareholder meeting on Friday.

He is very un Australian and should go back to his native country.:(:(

The airline is certainly not the flying kangaroo anymore and maybe should carry a dim sim as its logo.

I am not a unionist but you need to understand that this striking is about the airline relocating a lot of its maintenance service etc to Asia. It is about screwing the workers, of which a lot will lose their jobs. The company is only interested in increasing its profit. They don't care about how they treat the staff. The concern with relocating its maintenance is the safety of the airline. Qantas has had an really good track record with safety.

So you're saying that they're joining the rest of the world in the current economic model. If you have paid any attention to the US many of our jobs are outsourced/offshored now to India and Cost Rica. It's the countries and the consumers that need to step up, not the companies or the unions in that situation. Of course the company is interested in increasing their profits... otherwise they wouldn't be in business.

So you're saying that they're joining the rest of the world in the current economic model. If you have paid any attention to the US many of our jobs are outsourced/offshored now to India and Cost Rica. It's the countries and the consumers that need to step up, not the companies or the unions in that situation. Of course the company is interested in increasing their profits... otherwise they wouldn't be in business.

Australia has not been affected like the US in the Global Financial Crisis. Many of our jobs are outsourced too, if you paid attention to Australia.

Do you think it is okay that the CEO got a bonus of $5,000,000? Nobody is worth that much money.:(

Australia has not been affected like the US in the Global Financial Crisis. Many of our jobs are outsourced too, if you paid attention to Australia.

Do you think it is okay that the CEO got a bonus of $5,000,000? Nobody is worth that much money.:(

So this really isn't about it being taken offshore then as originally suggested? This is about the CEOs bonus? If you have a problem with that then don't do business with them. As I stated before, that's a consumer decision and should have nothing to do with unions. If employees are unhappy with how much he makes versus themselves then they should go look for employment somewhere else. It's all about freedom of choice and we shouldn't be determining if someone does or doesn't deserve a bonus until we've done their job and walked in their shoes. If the company thought he deserved it then that was their choice... just as it is your choice to take your business elsewhere.

Certainly he has not earned that kind of money for a dumb a$$ move like this one.:(

A company needs to make money to stay in the business and usually I´m one of the first ones to support the companies. But this move is one that easily can ruin a good company and the outsorcing of maintenance to Asia has already ruined a perfect safety score of Qantas.:mad:

If one looks at the Global Economy it´s not always a wise decision to follow other examples.

As a consumer I will step up and think more than twice about it and give a company like Qantas my business as long as they have such a dumb management.

Certainly he has not earned that kind of money for a dumb a$$ move like this one.:(

A company needs to make money to stay in the business and usually I´m one of the first ones to support the companies. But this move is one that easily can ruin a good company and the outsorcing of maintenance to Asia has already ruined a perfect safety score of Qantas.:mad:

If one looks at the Global Economy it´s not always a wise decision to follow other examples.

As a consumer I will step up and think more than twice about it and give a company like Qantas my business as long as they have such a dumb management.

This has been reported tonight:

"While the Minister was expressing his lack of confidence in the Qantas board and Alan Joyce, the Vice President of the Qantas pilot union, Richard Woodward, said he knew that Qantas had booked thousands of hotel rooms world wide some weeks ago in advance of its action to ground all of it international and domestic flights and had been negotiating replacement flights with Cathay Pacific up to several months ago.

Woodward said the Qantas action was in his opinion premeditated and well planned, and queried Joyce’s stability, describing his performance this afternoon as ‘bordering on the maniacal.”

Passengers are reporting that they had been on boarded flights ready to depart with no inkling of the grounding decision, saying that the pilots and flight attendants were also completely unaware of the action until they were told to empty the jets."

Alan Joyce needs to pack his bags and get out of Australia, maybe Julia Gillard could organise a seat for him with the RAAF. He already has bodyguards as he has had his life threatened, I wonder if he has gone into hiding tonight?

Agreed, and in the US many companies are bringing things back on shore or finding ways to augment. My department currently is a 50/50 split between US and India in an attempt for them to save money but not completely giving up on quality. Companies decide how much quality they are willing to sacrifice to get a cost savings. Very few companies are striving for 100% statisfaction these days, it's all about calculated risks and what they think people will accept.

This is exactly what everyone should do. Let your money do the talking.

This has been reported tonight:

"While the Minister was expressing his lack of confidence in the Qantas board and Alan Joyce, the Vice President of the Qantas pilot union, Richard Woodward, said he knew that Qantas had booked thousands of hotel rooms world wide some weeks ago in advance of its action to ground all of it international and domestic flights and had been negotiating replacement flights with Cathay Pacific up to several months ago.

Woodward said the Qantas action was in his opinion premeditated and well planned, and queried Joyce’s stability, describing his performance this afternoon as ‘bordering on the maniacal.”

Passengers are reporting that they had been on boarded flights ready to depart with no inkling of the grounding decision, saying that the pilots and flight attendants were also completely unaware of the action until they were told to empty the jets."

Alan Joyce needs to pack his bags and get out of Australia, maybe Julia Gillard could organise a seat for him with the RAAF. He already has bodyguards as he has had his life threatened, I wonder if he has gone into hiding tonight?

Sounds like he waited until the check was signed.

My daughter was on a Qantas plane in Sydney, ready to fly to Canberra, when the pilot came on and said "This is not a joke".

Words cannot express how disgusted I am with the Qantas Board's decision to ground the whole Qantas fleet immediately.

I feel so sorry for their passengers all over the world.

Haven't heard, why are they grounded??

Labour issues....and 20% of Air France flights, too

This was reported here earlier today and the thread got moved out of the Princess area, so I suspect the same will happen to this one.

Staff were making demands which the bosses said were unreasonable and therefore they have closed down Quantas rather than have the aggravation of a series of strikes. It is also affecting some BA flights as they share some Quantas flights. Very bad situation.

This was reported here earlier today and the thread got moved out of the Princess area, so I suspect the same will happen to this one.

I for one would want to know if I was flying to another country to board a cruise..that's why I posted it..I didn't see any other mention of it..only on the Aus- NZ section..and that's not all that Qantas flies to....

I for one would want to know if I was flying to another country to board a cruise..that's why I posted it..I didn't see any other mention of it..only on the Aus- NZ section..and that's not all that Qantas flies to....

I was not trying to be nasty, only mentioning what happened earlier today.

Hi All

A few years ago Qantas had the contract to fly London to Spain

as a charter for Princess , excellant service, a full Jumbo for such a sort hop

I recall the captain saying sorry that we would not see the end of the in flight movie

as flight was not long enough

yours Shogun

Decades ago unions made sense, these days its a ball and anchor for business. People who have a short or narrow view will naively think it protects a workers or a countries truely need some education :D

Archived