How much is the coffee running in Roatan these days?

kr8z

Yummm... that coffee is the BEST!! They were running around $12 for both ground or whole bean (1 lb I think) at the Mahogany Bay shopping village. Others have said you can get them way cheaper outside that shopping area, like in Coxen Hole or nearby grocery store, but we didn't have time to do that.

Can you bring me back some, too??:D

I'll likely be bringing back bags of coffee for friends. Has anyone been there recently who can give me an idea about how much they are currently so I can plan accordingly?

I was there in May and brought some coffee home for DH and me. It was around $12.00 and it was a 10 or 12 oz bag. I thought that was kind of high, but I paid it anyway, thinking it would be fabulous coffee. Turned out is was old and dried out and had almost no flavor. We had to throw it away. I got it at a local gift shop in Roatan. So my advice would be to try to find somewhere that sells lots of coffee so it doesn't sit around too long before being sold. Hope this helps! Nancy

Get someone to take you to a grocery store and buy the good stuff, and I got some of the under $3 stuff.

I bought 10 at least for about $35 and mostly the best on the shelves. A whole lot cheaper than what you find at the port. The port for the same type brands was at least double in price.

I bought so much I could almost not carry it lol. some were only 8 oz of beans, some were a pound and I bought some of the paper bags they put those cellophane packages in, not sure of the weight, 10 days worth of coffee for about $3? I over did it.. but go to a grocery store if you are out and about. We went to one with a great view so the others on my tour were not bored.

We bought some last fall. There is coffee that most locals drink, and then there is another brand. We bought both, not sure which was the good kind. We requested to go to a local grocery store with Victor Bodden tours. Our driver went with us to help us with the rates. He said the local coffee was like motor oil - very strong. Well...he was right. It was $1 a lb, but we couldn't drink it, and we like strong coffee. The other coffee was GREAT, and we paid $3 a lb.

Oh wow, thanks for this post! Why oh why have I never thought about buying coffee when in Roatan or even other countries :mad: We grind our own coffee and I am always in search of that perfect cup.

this is the best port to buy coffee. I bought coffee again in Jamaica last time, expensive blue mountain and again I was dissapointed.

unless you go to the coffee plantations, they seem to sell you junk in jamaica .. again going to the grocery store would probably help but I was on a excursion and couldnt stop.

I love the coffee from roatan.

this is the best port to buy coffee. I bought coffee again in Jamaica last time, expensive blue mountain and again I was dissapointed.

unless you go to the coffee plantations, they seem to sell you junk in jamaica .. again going to the grocery store would probably help but I was on a excursion and couldnt stop.

I love the coffee from roatan.

Thanks Firefly. I always go to the grocery stores when in port because I think it is neat to look around at the different foods. Will definitely be looking at the coffee.

Glad to know that about the Jamaican coffee.

I'll likely be bringing back bags of coffee for friends. Has anyone been there recently who can give me an idea about how much they are currently so I can plan accordingly?

I've travel twice this year to the mountains of Honduras where they grow coffee. I'm able to buy it direct from the roaster for about $4 a pound. Honduran coffee is some of the best in the world.

I only buy coffee from the ports - never souveniers - I have had some of the most awesome coffees and yes some duds. Love Puerto Rican coffee,the best so far and sister-in-law brought some back for me from Hawaii - this I will only make it once in awhile so that it lasts. Some people collect Christmas decorations/magnets/spoons etc me it is coffee - many friends will bring some home for me - have had it from all over the world.

I only buy coffee from the ports - never souveniers - I have had some of the most awesome coffees and yes some duds. Love Puerto Rican coffee,the best so far and sister-in-law brought some back for me from Hawaii - this I will only make it once in awhile so that it lasts. Some people collect Christmas decorations/magnets/spoons etc me it is coffee - many friends will bring some home for me - have had it from all over the world.

I can that it will be something that I will collect also. :D

I lived in Hawaii, so to me no big deal lol.

I loved the coffee from roatan the best of any Iv bought from any port. I have not yet been to costa rica and I know its grown there too.

I love good blue mountain, but twice now in Jamaica Iv been stung.

We were just there last week and the price wat $12 a bag. I missed an opportunity to buy some, love good coffee.

Have fun.

I have not tried this one yet (2 bags of it sitting there), stuck it in the door of my freezer (yea I know its bad for the coffee).

Honduras Best Coffees LEMPIRA (looks like the brand) Estate Coffee, strictly High Grown Arabica, Shadow Grown Hand Picked & Sun Dried Lempira, Honduras, Mesoamerican Coffees MESO CAFE, since 1976 Gourmet Coffee Roasters, at the bottoms says Noble Pleasures.

16 oz each.

How bad can it be?

I did pay more for another one than this one as I remember, but this one wasnt real cheap either. 16 oz each bag.

I could be wrong, but I remember these bags being about $8 each.. but it was priced in their money and at the check out they then told me how much in US.

The stuff at the port, while expensive, is well roasted and VERY fresh. The price was about the same as what I buy at home for good coffee (somewhere like the Fresh Market.) But this was much fresher. The roast date was on the bags we bought for only about 3 days prior to when we bought it. Worth every penny. The light roast was probably the best coffee I've ever had although what we bought in Costa Rica is right up there with it. So often coffee sold in gift shops is really old and stale and these people selling at the port knew what they were doing. Came in red bags. I'd love to get my hands on some more of it. The Central American coffees do really well with a lighter roast if you haven't tried it that way. I know a lot of people automatically go for dark but some coffees really do better with a lighter roast. Besides, light roast has more caffeine. :D:p:eek:

We had them take is to a grocery last time we were there since I read it was far cheaper. I have a Capresso grind and brew that I use at home. I am not a big coffee drinker so I honestly cannot tell the difference unless it is too strong for my liking. I think we paid about $12 for a bag f beans last time we were in Roatan a little over a year ago. I just couldn't remember. So when I take "orders" for crap to bring back I will know to tell them about $15 max for a bag of coffee. Now to ask about the current price of tequila in Coz and phentermine in Belize LOL I feel like a drug mule for people with bad habits :p

Thank you all for your responses :)

I know this may sound strange. I am a self appointed coffee connisser. I have bought coffee in Honduras, Costa Rica, Hawaii, Belize, Mexico and Jamaica. I can tell you that the absolute best coffee beans I have found, are Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee beans at Costco ($16), or La Minta Peaberry beans at Caribou Coffee ($19, I don't think that the offer it any longer).

I've travel twice this year to the mountains of Honduras where they grow coffee. I'm able to buy it direct from the roaster for about $4 a pound. Honduran coffee is some of the best in the world.

geaux_aces,

Good afternoon, It's almost time for the single digit dance! I am sailing on the same ship. I was wondering if you knew the name of the coffee you buy and can I get it in the supermarket when we are there.

Thank you,

aircontroller13

I'm a bit of a coffee snob myself. I refuse to drink the Maxwell House they brew at work ... and it's free. The coffee I bought in Roatan last time was Cafe Copan at $4.50/lb - good stuff. I only bought two bags the last time I was there and have been ordering 4 to 5 bags a year from their website since then. Will definitely stock up this time.

I know this may sound strange. I am a self appointed coffee connisser. I have bought coffee in Honduras, Costa Rica, Hawaii, Belize, Mexico and Jamaica. I can tell you that the absolute best coffee beans I have found, are Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee beans at Costco ($16), or La Minta Peaberry beans at Caribou Coffee ($19, I don't think that the offer it any longer).

Iv gotten decent coffee at costco as well when I belonged. I just cruise often enough I buy it when I cruise too. I love good jamaican blue better than any other coffee, just not always getting really good blue. gotta also know the labels as if you arent carefull with the wording it will be a blend and not pure blue.

Has anyone seen anywhere on Roatan where I could buy Green Coffee beans? I like to roast my own to ensure I am getting fresh.:D

The problem is you can't bring them back into the U.S. while still green. My father roasts his own, too.:D The unroasted beans are considered an agricultural product and not allowed back in. The only place we've been where he could actually get green beans and bring them home was Hawaii. Other than that, he orders all his beans from Sweet Marias online.

The problem is you can't bring them back into the U.S. while still green. My father roasts his own, too.:D The unroasted beans are considered an agricultural product and not allowed back in. The only place we've been where he could actually get green beans and bring them home was Hawaii. Other than that, he orders all his beans from Sweet Marias online.

Thanks for that info, it's something I'd often wondered about! :)

I also shop with Sweet Marias, they are hard to beat. At home I never get to use coffee any older than 7 days past roast date these days. My usual rule of thumb, if it's in a store and it doesn't have a roast date, it's stale. Most grocery store coffee is stale before it even get's delivered to the store.:(

But I'll even put up with stale coffee to cruise....:D

• 2 months later...

I am leaving shortly, so just wanted to see if it was still around $12 for a bag. I've decided to only do the tourist village this cruise. I don't feel like paying for a cab or tour again since we have already been to this island.

Archived