Legend 10-23 to 10-30 Cruise during Rina!

DTC

Lets just say it's nice to actually be writing on this forum!!

Our cruise was great. When we arrived in our cabin, there was a letter from the Captain letting us know there was a storm in the caribbean and they would be updating us on any itinerary changes.

Monday he came over the speaker to announce that our itinerary was being changed due to the upgraded Hurricane.

We were going to Belize first, then Cozumel only until 3pm and then onto Progresso, leaving 2 days at sea. This change woud keep us "ahead" of the storm..

They were right!! We were happy that our safety was their #1 goal and we had lovely weather to enjoy for our entire cruise!! Yeah Carnival!!!!!

Of course we were upset we weren't going to Caymen, the whole purpose of this cruise was to swim with the Sting Rays!! But what you gonna do?? We'll just have to book the same itinerary NOT during Hurricane season!!

We had an awesome room Steward Olvin (6232 cabin #) and we did Your Time Dining and luckily we received Elias, Udaya and Valentyn as servers. They were great!! Very funny, great personalities!!! He even brought us extra food every day!! Like we really needed extra food!! How cool is that??

I liked the Legend....however I liked the Miracle better. We did not like the Serenity taking over the whole aft. We were with our son & his friend and they couldn't even walk over to look for us without someone saying "hey this is 21 and older". I understand that but we love the AFT deck so basically we couldn't hang out on it :(

Any questions, let me know!!

We were told the sailing leaving today (10-31) was going to be heading to Eastern Caribbean!! till the storm is gone, darn it, why couldn't I be on that one, too???

Glad that you enjoyed your cruise. So the Serenity area on Legend is where the aft pool and bar is on deck 9?

Yes. We only went there one day, we sat on the sofas as most of the loungers were taken or in the sun. I didn't think it was very serene, there are tables in front of the bar, the people sitting there never shut up!

We were also on this cruise. There was no letter in the cabin about any changes. In fact I had to go to guest services and show them an email i get from a contact I have in Florida Emergency Management. Not that anyone couldnt get the same information. They told me there were no changes even being considered. Ok well lets just say that the communication between departments is horrible at best.

This was my 8th Carnival cruise, may be the last. If the customer service and the quality of the entire product does not improve it will for sure be my last with CCL.

I understand and am greatful that the safety of all on the ship is first. We agree that something had to be changed. Just dont send us to progresso ever again. That had to be the worst port EVER! Belize was wonderful as always. The boys at the cave tubing with the dot com at the end were just awesome.

Rented a buggy at the port in Cozumel. Very safe, had no problem there. Went to the ruins, bring plenty of bug spray for there.

Sadly, one of the passengers from our ship got into some kind of accident in Cozumel and did not make it. There were plenty of stories of how it happened. The only thing that seemed to stay the same is she was on a scooter without a helmet.

Anyway, I will post a complete review of this trip from our point of view as most opinions vary.

Tim

What is there to do? We dont drink, I cant stand the beach, and constantly being bothered to buy knock off clothes, hats, and fake cuban cigars gets a little old after 5 minutes. People had excursions booked through carnival, which were supposed to be refunded in time to book new ones there in progresso. Well that didnt happen. We dont book through CCL for our excursions ( why pay double the price for half the tour ). Have never been there, didnt know anything about the place other than its NOT where the soup comes from. Plus with the limited time we were given, only to be stuck for an extra day at sea, how could we do the longer duration tours like going to Chichen Itza (sp). We did take a private tour, to see the flamingos, salt flats, ruins and some horrible beach club. Was 3 hours for 15 each.

What is there to do? We dont drink, I cant stand the beach, and constantly being bothered to buy knock off clothes, hats, and fake cuban cigars gets a little old after 5 minutes. People had excursions booked through carnival, which were supposed to be refunded in time to book new ones there in progresso. Well that didnt happen. We dont book through CCL for our excursions ( why pay double the price for half the tour ). Have never been there, didnt know anything about the place other than its NOT where the soup comes from. Plus with the limited time we were given, only to be stuck for an extra day at sea, how could we do the longer duration tours like going to Chichen Itza (sp). We did take a private tour, to see the flamingos, salt flats, ruins and some horrible beach club. Was 3 hours for 15 each.

I am really surprised the cancelled CCL tours weren't immediately posted back to their sail and sign accounts. We have had tours cancelled due to weather, missed ports, etc., and they were always immediately put back on our account. Hmmmm. As for Progresso, I actually enjoyed it when we ported there. Liked walking thru the flea market, and all the shops/stands by the beach. I didn't find the vendors any more annoying than the ones at Coz, Ochos Rios, etc. (btw- loved your soup comment! That was really funny!:D)

Of course we were upset we weren't going to Caymen, the whole purpose of this cruise was to swim with the Sting Rays!! But what you gonna do?? We'll just have to book the same itinerary NOT during Hurricane season!!

That is a great way to look at the situation! Last year we missed Belize because of Hurricane Richard and said that we'd have to book the same cruise again. We are sailing Thanksgiving week!

We sailed on the Ecstasy Oct 22 to 27th-just before Rena & our Carnival excursion in Cozumel was cancelled due to rough seas. Carnival refunded the cost immediately into our S+S account, which we happily re-spent. I really like the port of Progresso as its more of the real mexico. For me, Cozumel could be anywhere, its lost all its mexican flavor & its just stores & hawkers readdy to rip you off. Glad there are enough ports for all of us! We also got a letter from the captain in our cabin informing us of weather issues. I thought they handled it very well.

We were on the same cruise. We did get letters from the Captain re changes and felt Carnival did a good job in this regard. Of course there was some disappointment missing ports but I would rather do that than sail through rough weather. We booked the cruise because we had not been to Cayman or Roatan but we can try another time.

As for the serenity Deck I do agree with the OP it is noisy and we never ever managed to get a seat on it{ didn't ruin our cruise though}

First time in Progresso and while it is a run down area it is Mexico and on our ride through the town noted the lively local day to day activities .

We booked a beach stop to a private beach{ 10 pp} taxi from where shuttle bus drop off was with return to same place. The beach was quite dirty and there was a small pool and cafe { Loungers included} Our G son rented a Jet ski for an hour and our daughter had a massage { I had a margarita and worried about our Gson on the Jet Ski !!!}

all in all a good cruise wish I was on it now:)

I will do a review later in the week.

Loved the comment about Progresso NOT being where the soup comes from. Now I've got that "RING-RING" Progresso commercial stuck in my head!:eek:

Love your attitude, so many people blame the cruiseline when there is an itinerary change due to weather. I am just like you go with the flow and have fun no matter where you go! We are leaving Sunday on the Legend. I hope the storm is gone by then but I was glad to see how they accomodated you with itinerary changes!

We were also on this cruise. There was no letter in the cabin about any changes. In fact I had to go to guest services and show them an email i get from a contact I have in Florida Emergency Management. Not that anyone couldnt get the same information. They told me there were no changes even being considered. Ok well lets just say that the communication between departments is horrible at best.

This was my 8th Carnival cruise, may be the last. If the customer service and the quality of the entire product does not improve it will for sure be my last with CCL.

I understand and am greatful that the safety of all on the ship is first. We agree that something had to be changed. Just dont send us to progresso ever again. That had to be the worst port EVER! Belize was wonderful as always. The boys at the cave tubing with the dot com at the end were just awesome.

Rented a buggy at the port in Cozumel. Very safe, had no problem there. Went to the ruins, bring plenty of bug spray for there.

Sadly, one of the passengers from our ship got into some kind of accident in Cozumel and did not make it. There were plenty of stories of how it happened. The only thing that seemed to stay the same is she was on a scooter without a helmet.

Anyway, I will post a complete review of this trip from our point of view as most opinions vary.

Tim

Well obviously if there is a hurricaine in the gulf changes HAVE to be considered. Sorry you were disappointed in the cruise and the communication was terrible, but would it have been much different if you were on another cruiseline as the itinerary would still have to be changed? Even if they did tell you, would it have made a difference since you hated Progresso? They could have just had another day at sea instead of Progresso. At least they tried to accomodate by going to a port that wasnt affected by the weather. Its happened to us multiple times, the beauty of sailing in hurricaine season

I was also on this sailing. I had an okay time and I know I will rebook this itenariary because I want to go back to Cayman and finally go to Roatan. I was disappointed about the change to Progresso but will try to go back again but to Chitzen Itza since I am a big Mayan history person but the timing and money situation I didn't do it this time. The food was okay but the service in the Steak houses has gone down in my opinion.

This cruise was basically for my parents and I to reconnect and to relax before the holiday season starts. I enjoyed Wee Jimmy and Dee (she was mostly the one I did trivia with). Sorry that everyone seems to hate this cruise but you have to roll with the punches and go with the flow! I am now looking forward to going on my Disney cruise next month to see if there is a difference but I will always keep Carnival in my mind when it comes to sailing. Looking at doing something really big for my graduation next year but not sure yet!

Have a great week everyone, and stay safe out there tonight while trick o treating!:)

Pam;)

Upon our arrival to our cabin (1:30 day of embarkation) there was a note on our bed from the Captain letting us know there was a tropical storm they were watching and would let us know immediately if anything changed.

We did not have any Carnival exursions booked but did receive $14.00/pp back for port fee changes and I did hear a lady at the Excursion Desk telling another passenger that all of her excursions were already credited to her S&S card.

I knew something happened in Cozumel but did not know what...so someone was killed?? That is never a good thing, those scooters are never safe and it was raining off and on in Cozumel the whole time we were there. So sorry to hear that.

We had an awesome time. We firmly believe Vacation is what you make it!!

Love your attitude, so many people blame the cruiseline when there is an itinerary change due to weather. I am just like you go with the flow and have fun no matter where you go! We are leaving Sunday on the Legend. I hope the storm is gone by then but I was glad to see how they accomodated you with itinerary changes!

We are boarding the day you are disembarking! I notice you are in Tarpon Springs! I work in Holiday but live in Hudson!! Enjoy your cruise!

We also were on this cruise and felt Carnival did a fine job running from Rena! First time to Progresso and while it was not my port of choice, we had a great time there. Went to an all-inclusive that was a lot of fun-got to see a lot of the countryside that I found interesting. we had a great tour guide and learned a lot about the area. Our customer service was top notch-great room steward and dining room service and we always felt well informed about changes being made. Didn't get to meet everyone on our rollcall but did connect with some. Spirit class is my favorite ship.

Pat

I was on the Triumph....hit the same ports. I rode on a bus with a couple very nice "young ladies" (they were in their 60's, but attitudes of 20's!).

We asked about their delay departing Cozumel, as they should have left around the same time, if not before we departed. They heard a woman was killed while riding a moped.

Strange thing is....I have not been able to confirm that since returning to the states. I think it would be news worthy...at least "hidden" somewhere on the internet.

Anyone have any confirmation? News feeds? Etc?

I don't think anyone would "make it up", but rumors are easily exaggerated, if just by chance.

We just got back from this one as well - it was a very good cruise for us. When we booked it we knew we were taking a chance on a hurricane - so we were prepared to accept some itinerary changes. Thought they did a good job in keeping the ship in some sunny weather until the last day going back to Tampa.

We haven't been on Carnival for several years - but I would say the cruise met or exceeded our expectations all the way around. That being said - I don't think one can have the highest of expectations when booking a budget friendly cruise like Carnival offers.

Lets just say it's nice to actually be writing on this forum!!

Our cruise was great. When we arrived in our cabin, there was a letter from the Captain letting us know there was a storm in the caribbean and they would be updating us on any itinerary changes.

Monday he came over the speaker to announce that our itinerary was being changed due to the upgraded Hurricane.

We were going to Belize first, then Cozumel only until 3pm and then onto Progresso, leaving 2 days at sea. This change woud keep us "ahead" of the storm..

They were right!! We were happy that our safety was their #1 goal and we had lovely weather to enjoy for our entire cruise!! Yeah Carnival!!!!!

We had an awesome room Steward Olvin (6232 cabin #) and we did Your Time Dining and luckily we received Elias, Udaya and Valentyn as servers. They were great!! Very funny, great personalities!!! He even brought us extra food every day!! Like we really needed extra food!! How cool is that??

I liked the Legend....however I liked the Miracle better. We did not like the Serenity taking over the whole aft. We were with our son & his friend and they couldn't even walk over to look for us without someone saying "hey this is 21 and older". I understand that but we love the AFT deck so basically we couldn't hang out on it :(

Any questions, let me know!!

We were told the sailing leaving today (10-31) was going to be heading to Eastern Caribbean!! till the storm is gone, darn it, why couldn't I be on that one, too???

We had the same cabin Glad to hear you had a good time even with the intinary changes!

Very sad to report there was a fatality in Coz.....confirmed by ship doctor directly to me.

we all watched as time for departure came and went --from our balcone we could see a lot of ship crew & Meixian authority..many times I saw the cell phones pass between officers..then saw a packed suit case. We thought we leaving someone behind

someone called down how many are we waiting for the dock worker went one finger then 3 fingers. Later then we saw a a big merdical van pull up really close to the dock. another van with one man 2 woman-- one of the woman was visable hurt shoulder.. then it seems a lot of paper was flying.......

that night after the show I saw the ship doc and said i was so glad we didn't leave anyone hurt in a forgin country with a hurricane comming....He looked at me sadly and said thanks, it was an older couple married a long time and the wife passed on the island. (did not say how but all the rumors was a scooter) He was not leaving them there when there was a good possibleity they would not be able to get home soon.

Another crew menber told us " it was the worst kind of accident"

When we landed in in Progress we were in the stair well when we docked --we saw the doc and local parmedics borad..he said to them I will explain in the cabin as he walked them passed us.

IMHO I think Carnivial did good!

ps we made lemonaid--not the greatest but still OK

Archived