RCCL website

SConnolly

RCCL had one of the worst web sites, especially if you are searching for a cruise.

I liked the old search function where you could put in either Eastern, Western or Southern Carib. If I want only one of those choices I don't want to have to sort through all of them.

Sometimes newer is not always better.

And why can't we search a date range rather than a " month" ? My kids get a weeks vacation- I'd like to see what's on offer that week, not weed through dozens of cruises in that month.Hotel websites manage this quite well, it's not breaking new software ground. :mad:

The pricing always gets me. They'll show a cruise that is "from $599pp" but by the time you get to checkout, the total bill might be $3000 for two travelers.

I've found it is hard (or sometimes seemingly impossible) to actually end up with a cruise that is for the lowest cited price after drilling down though all of the steps in the process.

I understand that this is a usual bait and switch trick and everyone uses it... but for some reason on RCI's web site it is even harder to buy just the bait and avoid the switch! I suppose this means they've mastered the technique.

The whole web site it horrible IMHO including the pre-cruise planner after you're booked and log in.

The pricing always gets me. They'll show a cruise that is "from $599pp" but by the time you get to checkout, the total bill might be $3000 for two travelers.

Thats because that "from 599.00" is just the standard cruise fare for an inside cabin that doesnt include taxes and port charges.

If you are booking a balcony or suite, then of course its going to be much higher than that.

I really dont see how that is "bait and switch"? :confused: Had it not included the "from" then I might be inclined to agree.

The "from $599" listing is often for a group of dates as well. Your date may be listed, but it is not the date that price listing is for.

Yes, that is the biggest part of the issue I think. There is no indicator on the initial results page (grouped by "from $XXX" pricing) of which cruise is the lowest priced- mousing over each date only reveals "hot deal."

Really, the initial results page should ideally provide a results list of actual cruises that is sortable by various criteria, just like any other travel site.

The intermediate results page returned by the RCI website just makes things more confusing. I'm not sure if they did it on purpose to maximize revenue, or if it is just a result of an overall poorly developed website.

Yeah, it does lead alot to be desired, but the thing that drives me crazy is that when you compare other cruise sites to RCI, the other cruise sites will show tons of open rooms and RCI will show much less. I am sure there are agreements somewhere with these other sites but it still is a bit nuts to me.

It's amazing that they have not fixed their site for so long. It returns the wrong result. Just try searching any cruise with a Florida resident discount. You get all the cruises for every ship, regardless of what port or ship you actually select.

It's a total mess, and they seem to have no interest in fixing this obvious issue.

Archived