charging for onboard tours

klang

We've been on a few tours in the past when they were never charging - I think usually related to either elite status, Cruise Critic connections party, or from discussions with officers.

I'd be curious to hear how the tours for a cost compare to the complimentary tours they've had in the past. I've read about some very comprehensive tours on other cruise lines that had a charge which sounded much more involved than the tours we've done on Celebrity. I might be interested in something like that but wouldn't pay for the types of tours we've done before.

We have been on ships tours in the past and did not have to pay for them nor would we for that matter. I notice lots of folks toss around their status on the Boards. Interesting but really who cares

We have been on ships tours in the past and did not have to pay for them nor would we for that matter. I notice lots of folks toss around their status on the Boards. Interesting but really who cares

I have only been on one 'X' cruise so far, but I like to hear about the perks one gets for repeat passenger status...especially the ones that the cruiseline publications do not mention specifically. Reading about them here on CC is the way to learn, so I for one, care....:)

I have only been on one 'X' cruise so far, but I like to hear about the perks one gets for repeat passenger status...especially the ones that the cruiseline publications do not mention specifically. Reading about them here on CC is the way to learn, so I for one, care....:)

I don't get the impression that several who are touting their "Status" are talking about the benefits in their particular status catagory as much as their "Status". It's sort of, I am "Elite" you know. That being the case, I find it off putting. It's something we never discuss.

Someone with Elite status has more credibility with me that someone who only has three cruise credits (like me:o). It's also why I appreciate info about someone's sailing history in their signature.

Someone with Elite status has more credibility with me that someone who only has three cruise credits (like me:o). It's also why I appreciate info about someone's sailing history in their signature.

I will say that if past cruising experience is a measure of knowledge then your posts belie your Celebrity cruising history. I always find them to be sensible and well thought out.

Phil

I will say that if past cruising experience is a measure of knowledge then your posts belie your Celebrity cruising history. I always find them to be sensible and well thought out.

Phil

Thanks, Phil, but I do occasionally find myself shooting from the hip in my enthusiasm to help and then having to issue a retraction. Case in point-- post#11 on this thread. I've also let cruising and Cruise Critic become a bit of an obsession, so I may have quite a bit more knowledge than the average Classic cruiser.

I don't get the impression that several who are touting their "Status" are talking about the benefits in their particular status catagory as much as their "Status". It's sort of, I am "Elite" you know. That being the case, I find it off putting. It's something we never discuss.

We are going to respectfully disagree...although we personally do not use any "signature" on our posts. If we were to list all of our cruises (like some) the list would extend to more then 70 (not even sure of the exact number). However, when posting on certain topics we will disclose we are "Elite" (or other similar labels) or mention that we have spent more then 2 years on cruise ships. Why? Because the reader might want to gauge the credibility of the post based on the posters experience.

Hank

We are going to respectfully disagree...although we personally do not use any "signature" on our posts. If we were to list all of our cruises (like some) the list would extend to more then 70 (not even sure of the exact number). However, when posting on certain topics we will disclose we are "Elite" (or other similar labels) or mention that we have spent more then 2 years on cruise ships. Why? Because the reader might want to gauge the credibility of the post based on the posters experience.

Hank

if you think being Elite gives you more credibility then good for you:D

I just read an Eclipse review this morning and the poster mentioned that they are now charging for engine, kitchen and bridge tours. Can anyone else verify this? Also, if they do charge, how much?

I was on the Millennium back in the middle of October and I pulled out the daily program. Unfortunately, I missed the galley tour (I really would have liked to see it, but I did not notice it in the program that day until it was over).

All of the events that required fees were noted with a "**" so people knew that there was a fee. The galley tour did not have this notation.

While I can't confirm, it looks like the tour was free last month on the Millie.

if you think being Elite gives you more credibility then good for you:D

While not a given, with experience comes knowledge.

All other things being equal, who would you rather have perform a difficult surgical procedure on you-- a surgeon who has done the procedure ten times or one who has only done it once, or not at all? If there's a difference of opinion between someone who's Elite and someone who's Classic, I'll tend to believe the former. That is the essence of credibility.

Archived