charging for onboard tours

klang

I just read an Eclipse review this morning and the poster mentioned that they are now charging for engine, kitchen and bridge tours. Can anyone else verify this? Also, if they do charge, how much?

I know there was a charge for the galley tour on Summit in February, not sure about a bridge or engine control room tour. Our Connections party attendees were offered free bridge and galley tours. While on the galley tour, we ran into the paid-for one. They seemed to be getting the nickel tour, while we were offered free sparkling wine and were being shown around by one of the head chefs.

If you and others on your roll call are interested in a tour, send a letter to the events coordinator of your ship and let them know of your interest. Send it at least four weeks in advance of the sail date. The address would be:

Events Coordinator

Celebrity [Name of ship]

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

No guarantees, but it won't hurt.

BTW, they don't offer tours of the engine room itself, just the engine control room.

Just off the Eclipse, and yes, they were charging for Engine Control Room and Bridge tours, we were told they were between $40 and $70, but can't confirm.

Our first official 'Elite' cruise, and we had an invite to the bridge, and to the helipad for the Venice sailaway (it was freezing, and they had to bring us blankets!)

Richard

I've been invited to tour the bridge, the galley, backstage, and a sailaway on the heliport and have never paid for any of these. While they were all very interesting and I'm glad I did them, I would not have paid to do so. It seems rather strange to be invited to something one has to pay for.

I believe what is being said is that if one is 'Elite' status, they may be invited for a gratis tour, as well as those at Connections party, if arranged in advance. The paid for tour, is available to the rest of the passengers....

We've been on a few tours in the past when they were never charging - I think usually related to either elite status, Cruise Critic connections party, or from discussions with officers.

I'd be curious to hear how the tours for a cost compare to the complimentary tours they've had in the past. I've read about some very comprehensive tours on other cruise lines that had a charge which sounded much more involved than the tours we've done on Celebrity. I might be interested in something like that but wouldn't pay for the types of tours we've done before.

I have taken the 'Insiders Tour' on NCL Jewel last year. It was only $55. (free if you were in a full suite), and it was well worth it. It was only offered once (mentioned in the daily program), and was limited to only about 30 participants. It was run on a sea day. We assembled in the lobby at the time indicated on the invitation by a member of the guest relations staff. She conducted us from one venue to the next, and then turned us over to the manager of that department who gave us the tour and afterward answered questions. We were taken to the main galley and food storage areas (they gave us delicious chocolate strawberries!), then to the ship's laundry and environmental areas--trash, water treatment, etc. Then to the theater backstage and dressing room, where one of the singers from the cast gave us the tour. We then went to the bridge where one of the officers gave us a tour and the whole thing took about three hours. We were given a handout fact sheet about the specifications of the ship.

I would gladly pay that price for similar on the Silhouette.

I have read where other lines are also running similar. Princess I believe has a more extensive tour but charges a hefty fee of around $150. or so.

However they include some nice souvenirs to take with you like a cookbook and apron and something else (forgot what).

I just read an Eclipse review this morning and the poster mentioned that they are now charging for engine, kitchen and bridge tours. Can anyone else verify this? Also, if they do charge, how much?

Celebrity Inside Access:

“Celebrity Inside Access” will provide guests access to various areas on the ship that are deemed “back of the house,” such as the Bridge, the main Galley, Engine Control Room and more. Through this programme, guests will gain insight about what truly goes on behind-the-scenes.

The “Celebrity Inside Access” programme, which is a component of Celebrity Life, currently consists of two components:

See How It’s Done Tour - a comprehensive behind the scenes tour of many guest and crew areas; Cost = $150 USD/guest

Bridge Sail Away Experience - allows guests to take part in a hosted event up on the bridge as the ship sails away from port; Cost = $75 USD/guest

This is now available on all ships fleetwide (except Celebrity Xpedition)

And some posters wonder why I continue to disagree with Celebrity continuing to add more and more and more 'for a price' options. I just really, really hate it. Years ago, before we were Elite, we used to get these things for free. Now they not only charge, but the prices are ridiculous IMHO. I hesitate to think about what charge might be added next. I swear one day soon the dining room will be priced like a restaurant.

Wonder if they are still giving some of these behind the scenes tours to Elite members? Have been to them all, but some are fun to re-do.

Cruise lines make most of their profit from onboard revenue and are always looking for new and innovative ways to "maximize onboard revenue." Some cruise lines (Princess seems to lead in this area) have discovered that passengers are willing to pay substantial amounts of money for tours of various parts of the ship. When we started cruising (nearly forty years ago) some cruise lines had free tous to various parts of the ship. Probably the most innovative was on Sitmar when they had a midnight tour of the galley which included a huge buffet set-up throughout the galley (you toured and stuffed your face). We think X has done a cool thing buy adding special tours for Elite passengers such as a "behind the stage" tour. But passengers can expect the expansion of onboard tours at a price...and based on what is happening on Princess the price can be quite high.

Hank

Celebrity Inside Access:

“Celebrity Inside Access” will provide guests access to various areas on the ship that are deemed “back of the house,” such as the Bridge, the main Galley, Engine Control Room and more. Through this programme, guests will gain insight about what truly goes on behind-the-scenes.

The “Celebrity Inside Access” programme, which is a component of Celebrity Life, currently consists of two components:

See How It’s Done Tour - a comprehensive behind the scenes tour of many guest and crew areas; Cost = $150 USD/guest

Bridge Sail Away Experience - allows guests to take part in a hosted event up on the bridge as the ship sails away from port; Cost = $75 USD/guest

This is now available on all ships fleetwide (except Celebrity Xpedition)

Any idea how you sign up for these tours?

There was a galley tour on the Millennium in August for no charge. I had done this on a previous cruise and since this was a port intensive cruise we did not attend. We were also invited to tour the bridge at 2 different times, one for Elite status and one for Cruise Critic, again at no charge. We did do this tour.

Mary Lou

And some posters wonder why I continue to disagree with Celebrity continuing to add more and more and more 'for a price' options. I just really, really hate it. Years ago, before we were Elite, we used to get these things for free. Now they not only charge, but the prices are ridiculous IMHO. I hesitate to think about what charge might be added next. I swear one day soon the dining room will be priced like a restaurant.

Wonder if they are still giving some of these behind the scenes tours to Elite members? Have been to them all, but some are fun to re-do.

This is so new that it's hard to say, but my feeling is they will continue to offer these tours gratis to Elite members. To be honest I've done them so many times now they don't really have the same appeal although being out on the helipad as we sailed into Venice was quite a spectacle.

I have seen many threads on this board asking about tours and the general response to them has been "ask at Guest Relations". Celebrity have obviously figured out that this is something they can use as a revenue stream. By offering them at a relatively high cost ensures that they aren't overwhelmed with requested places. They are time consuming for the crew and require a certain degree of security screening and monitoring.

My first ever bridge tour was on Constellation when Captain Papanikolaou was Master (what a great guy he was) and he offered a bridge tour to everyone attending the Connections Party. I was very excited. That was a Caribbean cruise without the great number of CC people that are in attendance for say a transatlantic. I'm not sure what they'll do there, but hope they continue to offer them free to those at the party on certain sailings who'd like to attend.

Phil

We just got back from a B2B2B that included the 9/30 Equinox and 10/10 & 10/22 Silhouette cruises.

On the Equinox we dined with the Captain & the entire table received a complementary sail away bridge tour.

On the 10/10 Silhouette cruise we also dined with the Captain but did not receive a sail away tour. Instead we received the at sea Elite bridge tour hosted by the event coordinator. None of the bridge officers said a word. The entire group was wanded down before entering the bridge (like at an airport). The event coordinator said that this was the last "free" bridge tour to ever be offered on the Silhouette.

On the 10/22 Silhouette we also dined with the Captain and did not get any bridge tour. On that cruise they implemented a $75 sail away bridge tour and a $150 "behind the scenes" tour. I heard that 18 people signed up for the sail away tour and 7 for the $150 tour.

The $150 tour does include several crew areas (mess, bar, internet room), the mooring deck and a special lunch with wine.

I think it will be good for people who want to pony up the money but a definate loss for rising Captains Club members who will no longer get the free bridge tour.

Any idea how you sign up for these tours?

This was implemented on the 10/22 Silhouetee TA cruise which I just returned from. It was advertised with a sheet listing the features and prices at guest relations. One just goes to guest relations and hands them your sea pass card:)

We just got back from a B2B2B that included the 9/30 Equinox and 10/10 & 10/22 Silhouette cruises.

On the Equinox we dined with the Captain & the entire table received a complementary sail away bridge tour.

On the 10/10 Silhouette cruise we also dined with the Captain but did not receive a sail away tour. Instead we received the at sea Elite bridge tour hosted by the event coordinator. None of the bridge officers said a word. The entire group was wanded down before entering the bridge (like at an airport). The event coordinator said that this was the last "free" bridge tour to ever be offered on the Silhouette.

On the 10/22 Silhouette we also dined with the Captain and did not get any bridge tour. On that cruise they implemented a $75 sail away bridge tour and a $150 "behind the scenes" tour. I heard that 18 people signed up for the sail away tour and 7 for the $150 tour.

The $150 tour does include several crew areas (mess, bar, internet room), the mooring deck and a special lunch with wine.

I think it will be good for people who want to pony up the money but a definate loss for rising Captains Club members who will no longer get the free bridge tour.

That's a pity, but I kind of understand why. On many sailings there are a lot of Elite members now. A good reason for another Captain's club tier perhaps, but then regular Celebrity cruisers have probably done many before and may not be that bothered with the tours. I see you are an "X 100" member. I'm sure you'll still get an invite from time to time;)

Phil

This was implemented on the 10/22 Silhouetee TA cruise which I just returned from. It was advertised with a sheet listing the features and prices at guest relations. One just goes to guest relations and hands them your sea pass card:)

Is it possible to reserve these tours online, like the shorex?

That's a pity, but I kind of understand why. On many sailings there are a lot of Elite members now. A good reason for another Captain's club tier perhaps, but then regular Celebrity cruisers have probably done many before and may not be that bothered with the tours. I see you are an "X 100" member. I'm sure you'll still get an invite from time to time;)

Phil

I assume "X100" indicates a hundred plus Celebrity cruises? A category above Elite that is not talked about on Captain's Club site?

It sounds like HAL's "President's Club" a similar 'secret' tier above the normally highest Mariner's Society top 4 Star level requiring over 1,400 days on HAL......;)

Is it possible to reserve these tours online, like the shorex?

Sorry, no.

I assume "X100" indicates a hundred plus Celebrity cruises? A category above Elite that is not talked about on Captain's Club site?

It sounds like HAL's "President's Club" a similar 'secret' tier above the normally highest Mariner's Society top 4 Star level requiring over 1,400 days on HAL......;)

There's no official level above Elite, but cruisers with 100 Celebrity cruises are recognized through press releases, Facebook posts, a little more special treatment on the ship for that cruise. Reportedly, the special treatment and recognition for achieving this milestone (or centistone, maybe:rolleyes:) has declined in recent times. Note, also, that this is for 100 cruises, not 100 Captain's Club points. But other than getting invited to the Captain's table more often and the general recognition that comes with being a steady customer, no special perks.

There's no official level above Elite, but cruisers with 100 Celebrity cruises are recognized through press releases, Facebook posts, a little more special treatment on the ship for that cruise.

It's actually 100 cruise credits and based upon being able to earn two or three credits dependent upon cabin category and length of cruise it may be quite a lot less than 100 actual cruises. Still good going though!

Phil

Archived