Why is CCL making it hard to tip?

When ever anyone wants to tip in cash I always read a reply that states if you remove the autotip,the behind the scenes people lose out.

Well if the autotip is for MY convenience,then why is it so inconvenient to tip the behind the scenes people?

I am free to tip in cash,but with the new tipping,who exactly does it go to and what percentage.

When ever anyone wants to tip in cash I always read a reply that states if you remove the autotip,the behind the scenes people lose out.

Well if the autotip is for MY convenience,then why is it so inconvenient to tip the behind the scenes people?

I am free to tip in cash,but with the new tipping,who exactly does it go to and what percentage.

Why do you worry about it? Don't you think the cruise line actually knows how to distribute gratuities so everyone gets a fair share? At restaurants to you take it upon yourself to override their system and extend gratuities to the bus boy, dishwasher and server? They came up with the split to be fair to everyone and make it easier on the guest. Go with it.

Isn't hard to tip the behind the scenes personnel- when you put the tip in the envelope say that's who you want that money to go to (in fact, after reading all of these tipping threads I may just do that and leave an extra tip for the behind the scenes crew). (And if you want to tip them all in cash stand at your door until your luggage is delivered and hand that person their tip, give each of the buffet workers their share, etc. but as their share is probably only a couple of cents carry a lot of pennies with you:) or, oh wait, maybe it is more convenient to just leave everything in place;)).

Why do you worry about it? Don't you think the cruise line actually knows how to distribute gratuities so everyone gets a fair share? At restaurants to you take it upon yourself to override their system and extend gratuities to the bus boy, dishwasher and server? They came up with the split to be fair to everyone and make it easier on the guest. Go with it.

At restaurants I don't tip in advance, and they don't put it on for my convenience.When I leave a cash tip tip on the table,once I leave I don't care what they do with it.

If the auto tip is for my convience,I don't want that convenience,I want to know what amounts and to whom.

Remember,there are envelopes for those who want to tip in cash,so you can't state that the behind the scenes people are losing out if you don't tell me what the suggested amount and to whom it goes to.

Real simple,

I want to tip in cash so who do I hand the envelopes to so we can all have that personal touch.

If you can't tell tell me who and what amount,then it is CCL that is making it hard and not convenient.

What was your d I'd before this one. Cruise 3 something like that???

All of these tipping threads are driving me crazy...lol. I do not think the auto tip is done as a "convenience" for the cruisers. I think it is done more out of experience....most cruise lines do the auto tip and I'm sure it is for a reason. They have probably learned from experience that this is the best way to "guarantee" that the people that deserve a tip actually get one. Working in the service industry, I have learned that there are some cultures that do not tip at all! No matter what the service they receive or the level of service that they receive. There are cultures of people that feel we were all put on Earth to serve them, so they do not tip. Having an auto tip system just ensures that those that do not normally tip pay their fair share for the servers, etc. that deserve a tip.

This is just my opinion and I personally will continue to pay the small auto tips and tip extra to those that go above and beyond.

I want to know what amounts and to whom.

Why should it matter to you? Take your $2 a day and give it to 200 random front line crew members, you are likely to give to someone who would have earned it anyway at least 80% of the time;).

It's no different than going to eat at a restaurant. You don't decide what percentage of the tip you give goes to the busboy and food runners. You pay ONE tip which later gets divided.

You tip the waiter, right? Then, the waiter tips the busboy and food runners. Can you imagine if each person visiting a restaurant said "I want to tip each person individually, I don't want to give the entire tip to the waiter. I'm giving the waiter less, and then I'm going to tip the busboy directly, and the food runner directly".

This whole "remove the auto tips, I want to tip cash" makes for a clusterf$#%, and although I'm sure that there are people out there who legitimately want to tip more, I have a feeling that most people that complain about the auto tips are the same people that go to a restaurant and tip $2 on a $100 check.

you have started several threads related to tipping this week....why so many? I think we all have the tipping issue understood at this point...really...

are you still upset about that PVP thing and wanting you to move your cabins?

You have college age kids and you know as well as I do just how difficult it is to travel with them these days..probably the reason you have to pay big time for a Christmas cruise...because that is the only time you can be assurred that they will be around and school or work will not interfere....

so just relax and enjoy it.....the time is precious

All of these tipping threads are driving me crazy...lol. I do not think the auto tip is done as a "convenience" for the cruisers. I think it is done more out of experience....most cruise lines do the auto tip and I'm sure it is for a reason. They have probably learned from experience that this is the best way to "guarantee" that the people that deserve a tip actually get one. Working in the service industry, I have learned that there are some cultures that do not tip at all! No matter what the service they receive or the level of service that they receive. There are cultures of people that feel we were all put on Earth to serve them, so they do not tip. Having an auto tip system just ensures that those that do not normally tip pay their fair share for the servers, etc. that deserve a tip.

This is just my opinion and I personally will continue to pay the small auto tips and tip extra to those that go above and beyond.

That what it states on the CCL website...

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day as follows(our recommended guideline effective voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward):

At restaurants I don't tip in advance, and they don't put it on for my convenience.When I leave a cash tip tip on the table,once I leave I don't care what they do with it.

If the auto tip is for my convience,I don't want that convenience,I want to know what amounts and to whom.

Remember,there are envelopes for those who want to tip in cash,so you can't state that the behind the scenes people are losing out if you don't tell me what the suggested amount and to whom it goes to.

Real simple,

I want to tip in cash so who do I hand the envelopes to so we can all have that personal touch.

If you can't tell tell me who and what amount,then it is CCL that is making it hard and not convenient.

you are making way too much of this

That what it states on the CCL website...

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day as follows(our recommended guideline effective voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward):

They can't have more than one reason for doing something? 1) for the passenger's convenience so they don't have to worry about carrying boatloads of pennies to ensure every crewmember gets their share;) 2) for the crew's convenience because it makes it more likely that the tips will actually be paid 3) for the convenience of the cruise line because they don't have to account for and compensate for every hour worked.

you have started several threads related to tipping this week....why so many? I think we all have the tipping issue understood at this point...really...

You have college age kids and you know as well as I do just how difficult it is to travel with them these days..probably the reason you have to pay big time for a Christmas cruise...because that is the only time you can be assurred that they will be around and school or work will not interfere....

NO, being mislead.

The extra $2 is going into their pocket.:mad:

Their policy states....

It does not ell us where the other is going.They can state in an unofficial way where its going but until its on the website (and you will note they got the amount right $11.50 but have taken no official position on the rest)

But like I stated before,I want to tip in cash,who exactly do I give it to and what percentage.

I know the Steward,Waiter,and assistant amounts.What are the others since I don't want the Convenience.

They can't have more than one reason for doing something? 1) for the passenger's convenience so they don't have to worry about carrying boatloads of pennies to ensure every crewmember gets their share;) 2) for the crew's convenience because it makes it more likely that the tips will actually be paid 3) for the convenience of the cruise line because they don't have to account for and compensate for every hour worked.

But if they did not do all this for Convenience,then why did they create themselves a ton of accounting issues.

If they left it as cash and envelopes they would have no issues.

And you can't state it was because the crew was getting stiffed,because they have control over that by just including it in the fare.

That explains a lot, thanks!

But if they did not do all this for Convenience,then why did they create themselves a ton of accounting issues.

If they left it as cash and envelopes they would have no issues.

And you can't state it was because the crew was getting stiffed,because they have control over that by just including it in the fare.

If it bothers you so then sail with a cruise line where tips aren't required or don't sail at all. There are many reasons this is handled the way it is and I have read post after post on here about how passengers would skip out on the envelopes at the end of the cruise for whatever reason. The cruise line tells employees "you will earn $x in salary and $y in tips" and the crew relies on that, only to have x number of passengers skip out on the tips. So, it's a convenience all of the way around. I personally do not care how it is distributed, nor do I care about tipping face to face in order to feel good about it.

We had the good fortune to be aboard for the last Med cruise of the season on the Magic and in 12 days you get to encounter a lot of the service employees, some of whom have attained "celebrity status' through being mentioned in many of the posts here on the board here. They always seem to be very busy in even the places where that status wasn't even mentioned. In every case they were surprised at being one that was mentioned in publication. Having only brief discussions during their while they multi-tasked it was apparent that customer service was 'priority 1'. Not being good with names anyway I would like to thank the guys and gal in the Lido for finding a bottle of Tabasco for me during breakfast since I forgot to being the one I had planned to pack. Now to answer your question.

It would seem the only way to get what you want is to file a writ for asking for what constitutes the groups that are impacted by the "auto tips. Just the number of employees that share the apportionment of the auto-tips should be sufficient. The filing should be fairly inexpensive and perhaps someone would be willing to pro-rate the time spent to do this. Maybe even do it pro bono. If not I would be willing to contribute the few pennies that it would cost even though I am not in the least bit curious to have this information because it does seem to be impacting the enjoyment of a number of cruisers in Carnival which in the end could, though not very likely, impact my cruising pleasure and that of my family and friends.

I hope they make it impossible to remove the autotips and then we'll stop hearing about the cheap people who don't want to tip at all. Cheap.

i wasn't going to respond to this 16th tipping thread until this post

no need to call names.

and no reason to believe that those of us now wishing to stop this expansion of tipping, to now even including tipping the maitr'd if i pre tip and am part of a group, just for my convenience, don't intend to tip those assigned to us. they will get that whopping 20 and 30 cent increase, and may also get the two bucks, as well.

but it will be in cash.

my convenience. yeah. no longer.

This is just so unbelievable to me. What is the big darn deal? I can not imagine ever removing the tips and I wish that Carnival would not allow cheapskates to do it. Such spoiled people ughhh:rolleyes:

this OP has started other negative threads ... go look at some of his other threads before you think this is not just another thread to stir people up. I too am going to remember some of these names and hope they dont sit at my dinner table. I used to have a lot of respect for some of these people.

This is just so unbelievable to me. What is the big darn deal? I can not imagine ever removing the tips and I wish that Carnival would not allow cheapskates to do it. Such spoiled people ughhh:rolleyes:

just because some cruisers decide to remove the auto-tips because they want to pay in cash doesn't make them cheap.. its there right!.. WOW some people are so bloody rude.. if you don't like the thread and you feel its been beaten to death then don't read it.. its that simple.. Such rude people ughhh! :eek:

Archived