Why is CCL making it hard to tip?

If they left it as cash and envelopes they would have no issues.

WHAT?!

Did you ever cruise when it was cash and envelopes??? It was the most inconvenient and painful thing of the entire cruise! It was a logistical nightmare. I don't know about you, but these days, very few people carry lots of cash on them when they travel.

Careful what you wish for! Cash tipping is gone for a reason!

just because some cruisers decide to remove the auto-tips because they want to pay in cash doesn't make them cheap.. its there right!.. WOW some people are so bloody rude.. if you don't like the thread and you feel its been beaten to death then don't read it.. its that simple.. Such rude people ughhh! :eek:

everyone is entitled to their opinion. Those who think its cheap to remove tips and those who are speaking up saying it is on principle. Each of us is entitled to our comments!!!

Those who believe its cheap are still thinking... its cheap!!! (and a bunch of lame excuses).

I posted on the forum of the TA who books my group cruises, some of these excuses and said please dont remove tips, lets make our TA proud of us. Wouldnt it be awful to sit at a dinner table with a bunch who removed tips and the waiter knew it? I dont want to be associated with folks who are this cheap. Tip extra if you feel people are being slighted .. but removing all tips.. yep to me its cheap. Its my OPINION to which Im entitled.

none of these people are suggesting to add extra tips ...just saying remove tips!!! some are taking names too Ill bet of those who are leading this rabble rousing.

For the record, most people on here think Im anti Carnival and a RCL cheerleader ... but in this Im behind Carnival 100%

I also can see why John decided not to answer... I think people would find another excuse to remove tips ... no matter what he said, it would be picked apart.

We are cruising this weekend, with the Oasis, and choose my time dining…. which requires pre paid gratuities….

I really don't understand why my time dining. and the need for pre paid gratuities goes hand and hand?

What i do know is that when i paid by envelope there were people who were exceptional and others who were less then.. Example… The matradee…..on one of our cruises could even spend a moment of his time with us…. and the chief cabin steward same thing…….

What i did in the end was tipped them appropriately for there lack of service and took there tips and gave them to the cabin steward and wait staff who were exceptional……

Pre paid. statement accounts .. what ever….. may be its for convinenice… i am positive that some cheap people who cruise just like it was stated would tip unless they had to….

These people work as a whole probably harder them most of us who travel… For the same dollar….

If i find someone on this cruise that stands out I will make sure they are rewarded directly as well as indirectly through ,my pre paid tips…..

steve

This whole "remove the auto tips, I want to tip cash" makes for a clusterf$#%, and although I'm sure that there are people out there who legitimately want to tip more, I have a feeling that most people that complain about the auto tips are the same people that go to a restaurant and tip $2 on a $100 check.

Well said!

Ok. Firefly.....can you please explain to me how if someone was to remove auto tips and then tip more than recommended it would be considered cheap? I will never understand that logic.

Will some people just remove tips and not give money to anyone? Yep I am sure they will. But let's not confuse these people with the first group.

You seem to have a personal beef with h8 and yet have no clue how they tip.

How anyone tips is there business. Period.

WHAT?!

Did you ever cruise when it was cash and envelopes??? It was the most inconvenient and painful thing of the entire cruise! It was a logistical nightmare. I don't know about you, but these days, very few people carry lots of cash on them when they travel.

I totally agree. Standing in line at guest services to get bills changed so that we could fill the envelopes wasted much valuable vacation time. We prepay the gratuities and consider it as part of the cost of the cruise and then give extra cash to those who deserve more.

just because some cruisers decide to remove the auto-tips because they want to pay in cash doesn't make them cheap.. its there right!.. WOW some people are so bloody rude.. if you don't like the thread and you feel its been beaten to death then don't read it.. its that simple.. Such rude people ughhh! :eek:

Hah, me rude ha!! No people who adjust or remove tips are rude. Give me a break!! Want to pay them in cash huh? Why exactly, if you want to give then give more with a cash tip. Puuhhllease. It should not be allowed. Bloody, I'm not bloody:eek:

Ok. Firefly.....can you please explain to me how if someone was to remove auto tips and then tip more than recommended it would be considered cheap? I will never understand that logic.

Will some people just remove tips and not give money to anyone? Yep I am sure they will. But let's not confuse these people with the first group.

You seem to have a personal beef with h8 and yet have no clue how they tip.

How anyone tips is there business. Period.

I have a question for you. Why would you remove the tips if you want to pay more? Why wouldn't you then give them the extra cash that you feel they should have. It is not logical to remove them so that you can tip more.

If someone wants to tip extra wouldn't it be easier to just put the extra cash in the envelope provided? (I see that bougiet beat me to it).

If someone wants to tip extra wouldn't it be easier to just put the extra cash in the envelope provided?

It would be if they were also not concerned with WHO gets those tips. I don't judge people because they choose not to tip the entertainment and guest services staff.

I'm sorry to say a lot of you people are rude. A tip is something extra for good service, not a requirement. I just got back from our frist cruise and yes we left the auto-tips on and we also tipped our waiter andhis two helpers and our room steward extra as we felt they went above and beyond on our cruise. But, even with saying that I totally understand what some people are saying about taking off the auto tip and doing their tipping on their own. Are thes tips still going to be split between others that you never saw? I would assume so, if the people getting those tips are reporting them. I have no idea how that works with Carnival. I would hope that my extra tipping to the people that deserved it would not be distributed to others because I specifically wanted those people to have extra. As for extra tipping of the Maitre'de - we never even saw him the whole time we were there! We had anytime dining and never saw him once. We did hear him on the microphone once but that was it.

While I do believe some people are beating a dead horse with this issue, I think it is wrong to call some people cheap when they want to be able to tip the ones that they know took care of them and then possibly give another envelope with some extra to all the behind the scenes people. There is the possibility that these people are tipping more than if they left auto-tip on.

But, I have a real question - do we know for a fact that everyone on the cruise ship is making below minimum wage? Do we know for a fact that all these people need those tips? If someone is getting below minimum wage (like a server in a restaurant), then they do deserve tips if they do a good job. But, when I go into a deli and the counter person is making minimum wage, why is there a tip jar? You are doing your job and getting paid well, why should I tip you for that? I am not cheap, but I work very hard for the amount I make and no one tips me for doing my job. I am a very good tipper when it is deserved but I resent seeing tip jars popping up everywhere I go. Do I need to put one on my desk at work?

Unless you know that a person is taking tips off their auto-tip so they can tip less or not tip at all, it is not right to start calling these people out and calling them names.

It would be if they were also not concerned with WHO gets those tips. I don't judge people because they choose not to tip the entertainment and guest services staff.

I don't judge people by how they tip, either. But if someone is removing the auto tips because they want to control who is getting the money they are doing more than "removing the auto tips so I can tip more in cash".

WHAT?!

How true.

Anyway, auto tips are on a charged daily basis, not all at once up front.

How true.

Actually, if you check your sign and sail bill on the first day the tips are already listed. If you prepaid, there are two lines. Once to charge them, the second to show them paid already. If you have prepaid them, you can not remove them.

Actually, if you check your sign and sail bill on the first day the tips are already listed. If you prepaid, there are two lines. Once to charge them, the second to show them paid already. If you have prepaid them, you can not remove them.

actually it says you can remove prepaid tips... though someone posted they had trouble.... but its been posted you can remove prepaid tips..says so on the FAQs

my last say on this...It is your right to proclaim loudly you are removing tips, to those doing the proclaiming... just as its my right to think its cheap. We are both allowed to think whatever we want.

On our cruise (Destiny 5 day) last week our Sail & Sign was charged $50.00 per person on the first full day. So, they charged $100.00 all at one time at the beginning of the cruise.

It does become a debatable topic if it s brought to the message boards. The problem is people are not debating or listening to what some of the people who want to tip on their own are saying. All they are doing is calling them cheap. Calling someone names is not debating!

i was told that cash tips have to be added to the "tip pool" by the crew member receiving them. if that statement is true, it really makes no difference. i my opinion, would it not be better if the base price of the cruse was increased by the tip amount and this nonsense would be gone.........

WHAT?!

Did you ever cruise when it was cash and envelopes??? It was the most inconvenient and painful thing of the entire cruise! It was a logistical nightmare.

absolutely! it made it SO convenient not having to tabulate, disburse, and even making sure you held enough aside till the end of the cruise.

even on other lines, where you can sign up to do this, we did it.

but, now that they have snuck in other people to tip, i'm opting out.

i was told that cash tips have to be added to the "tip pool" by the crew member receiving them. if that statement is true, it really makes no difference. i my opinion, would it not be better if the base price of the cruse was increased by the tip amount and this nonsense would be gone.........

again, on ccl, there is no tip pool. all monies given to your steward* and mdr servers are kept by them, unless they have hired someone to help them. *then they pay said individuals.

NO, being mislead.

The extra $2 is going into their pocket.:mad:

Their policy states....

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day as follows(our recommended guideline effective voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward):

It does not ell us where the other is going.They can state in an unofficial way where its going but until its on the website (and you will note they got the amount right $11.50 but have taken no official position on the rest)

But like I stated before,I want to tip in cash,who exactly do I give it to and what percentage.

I know the Steward,Waiter,and assistant amounts.What are the others since I don't want the Convenience.

ok..how about this answer? Give a tip to whomever you think made your cruise a little nicer. Why are you so concerned about missing out on some obscure person?

Of course...now here is an interesting idea.....why not just leave the auto tips alone..that way you don't have to worry about missing anyone...and as an added bonus for you....

you do not have to tip anyone anything extra if you do not want to...those that do tip extra are doing it voluntarily...and it is not required....

btw...if you are set on giving out envelopes..you do know that you will be putting a lot of money in those envelopes, right? You should account for each cabin and each pax for each and every day.....waiter and assistants...steward and assistant...buffet staff...bar staff.....you name it...you should tip them..if you had anything at all to do with them...I will refrain from discussing the behind the scenes crew.....

do you now understand why the auto tip is the way to go? And maybe..if you choose..just a little something extra for the steward and wait staff..and their assistants....

Archived