Odds and Ends questions for the Dream

nzdisneymom

We're sailing on the Dream for the first time in December and I've been reading lots of trip reports and reviews as well as here on the Carnival board for a while. I have a few "odds and ends" questions that I haven't been able to find (or maybe overlooked).

1. Does the Dream have alarm clocks in the cabins? And if so, are they the kind that you can charge an iPod on? (trying to determine what charging apparatus we need to bring)

2. Does the Dream do mid-cruise laundry specials?

3. For the youth programs, my boys are 14 and 15 so they are in different groups - do the 12-14s and 15-17s do much together? The boys want to spend time together and both enjoy the types of activities we've read about for the youth programming - just trying to get a feel for if there is overlap for structured and supervised activities.

4. For the soda-sticker program, do they give you glass or paper cups? If it's glass and you take it with you, are there places you can appropriately leave your glass when you are done (thinking about the boys taking them with them). If you bring your own carry-cup, would the soda-distributors pour the drink into it for you (or have a towel handy in case you spill it transferring it yourself)? Again, thinking about what makes sense for the kids.

5. Is there a movie theater on board? Or do they just show movies on the big screen up top?

6. Are the stage shows shown on the stateroom tv? Do they show movies on the tv's as well?

7. We are staying in a Cove Balcony - any particular insight into this type of stateroom vs a regular balcony room?

8. For breakfast on the last morning, do you have to go to the dining room or do they have an ala-carte option? And if you have to go to the dining room, if you have my-time-dining, how does that work? Or do you even want to eat breakfast on the last morning since you've had all that cruise food all week ;)

We appreciate any tips, infor, etc., that those of you experienced Carnival cruisers and especially Dreamers can share.

For breakfast ANY morning the MDR is open, but most people go to the buffet (not just the last morning).

the soda is canned and poured into a clean glass with ice. the boys can leave it almost anywhere and someone will pick it up. I try and give it to the guys with carts up on lido myself... but you dont have to do what I do. I try and clean up after myself up on lido too, which is probably doing their work for them.

No ships Iv been on, on any line, have alarm clocks. the ships current can be up and down. I had a electric alarm clock run slow and was broken after I brought my own from home. its suggested to bring a battery clock.

Most shows will be rerun on the tv and some movies. a couple of channels plus tnt has movies. I rarely watch them on tv, but have seen them.

Usually there is a bag for $15 type special part way thru, or there is a self done laundry, for $3 for wash and $3 to dry.

As to the kids clubs - O2 and Circle C do quite a few activities together - especially if you are cruising on an "off peak" week for kids (not during a school vacation time).

Depending on birthdates and staff, you may request that one join the other's club - this is not always allowed, but might be ok if your son is "almost" at the other level. Usually they prefer that the younger moves up, not vice versa unless there are special needs.

Many of the activities are "started by" camp carnival counselors and then the kids kind of take it on their own - ie: scavenger hunts around the ship, etc. So, basically, know your boys and your comfort level with them roaming the ship unsupervised. You'll also find that the first couple of days are the important ones for them to connect with the other kids. After that, you'll find that groups have formed and kids tend to go to activities together in "packs" or skip them and create their own things to do (swimming, eating, mini golf, etc.) more "on their own".

Hope this helps.

I agree with what travelqueen said. usually kids hang out together on their own in very large packs lol. You'll see them on Lido eating ice cream and pizza etc. So your boys should be fine.

Don't stress about the sodas someone will be around in no time to pick up the empty glasses

No alarm clocks (and don't trust you cell phone) you can get a wake up call or order bfast in your room as a wake up call (although they're not always on time lol)

I recently read a review that said the Dream staff showed a movie in the lounge when it was raining in Cozumel, but usually movies are on the big screen outside.

Thanks so much for the quick replies! As you can see from my signature, we've mostly cruised on Disney so they have paper cups and the iHome clocks (which the time was never right but I could charge the iPod and use it for a clock / alarm for mornings we needed to get up early for excursions). The boys are relatively ship-savvy, but the Dream is a new ship for us and they will have to learn their way around - I'm good with them being out and about together and/or letting us know where they will be and when. We definitely plan to have them go to the "meet and greet" for their programs on the first day. We'll be traveling over Christmas so I expect the ship will be half-children, half-adults - I know we already have a big group of teens on our Roll Call thread! We also are cruisers who clean up after ourselves, pre-bus our dinner table, etc. :)

We've been going back and forth about whether to plan to do laundry or not (we always do when we sail with Disney, but it's less for the laundrette than the Carnival price is) so I wanted to figure out our options. I think we'll plan for a mid-cruise Carnival laundry service and then also be prepared in case we do need to visit the laundrette one day for a quick load. I honestly don't mind doing laundry while on vacation as we find we can do it and still relax - and leave room in the suitcase for souvenirs :)

Thanks again for the info and suggestions. I find that what often works for someone else will work for us.

OP -

My family cruised on the Dream back in April and I have children who are close to yours in age. My review is here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1407878. It might answer some of your questions, but I'm not sure.

You will have a great time! We haven't cruised on Disney, but would love too. Price just keeps us coming back to Carnival...maybe one day though!

We're sailing on the Dream for the first time in December and I've been reading lots of trip reports and reviews as well as here on the Carnival board for a while. I have a few "odds and ends" questions that I haven't been able to find (or maybe overlooked).

1. Does the Dream have alarm clocks in the cabins? And if so, are they the kind that you can charge an iPod on? (trying to determine what charging apparatus we need to bring)

3. For the youth programs, my boys are 14 and 15 so they are in different groups - do the 12-14s and 15-17s do much together? The boys want to spend time together and both enjoy the types of activities we've read about for the youth programming - just trying to get a feel for if there is overlap for structured and supervised activities.

4. For the soda-sticker program, do they give you glass or paper cups? If it's glass and you take it with you, are there places you can appropriately leave your glass when you are done (thinking about the boys taking them with them). If you bring your own carry-cup, would the soda-distributors pour the drink into it for you (or have a towel handy in case you spill it transferring it yourself)? Again, thinking about what makes sense for the kids.

5. Is there a movie theater on board? Or do they just show movies on the big screen up top?

6. Are the stage shows shown on the stateroom tv? Do they show movies on the tv's as well?

7. We are staying in a Cove Balcony - any particular insight into this type of stateroom vs a regular balcony room?

8. For breakfast on the last morning, do you have to go to the dining room or do they have an ala-carte option? And if you have to go to the dining room, if you have my-time-dining, how does that work? Or do you even want to eat breakfast on the last morning since you've had all that cruise food all week ;)

We appreciate any tips, infor, etc., that those of you experienced Carnival cruisers and especially Dreamers can share.

I was on the Dream in September so I think I can help you out.

1. There aren't any alarm clocks. I would suggest taking one with you or relying on your cell phone (in airplane mode).

2. Toward the end of the week they did offer to help you with your laundry. I don't know if they were special rates though.

3. We don't have children, so I'm clueless about this.

4. I always get the soda card. They pour the soda into glass cups. Depending on where you went on the ship, you might receive a small or a large glass. When I was finished with my drink I would take the glass to a bar so they wouldn't have to collect it later. Some people also take them back to their cabin.

5. They only show movies by the main pool or on your cabin tv.

6. They do have 3 movies they show every day. The main theater shows are not shown on your tv because of copyright. The shows that guests performed in are repeated on the tv.

7. I've not stayed in a cove balcony, but everyone says they are more private. From past experience with normal balconies, they aren't private at all.

8. I don't believe the main dining room is open the day that you debark. The buffet is available though, every day. It's a "madhouse" because there are so many people trying to leave at the same time so we skipped breakfast and got off as early as possible.

Just as a tip: Not everyone shows up at their assigned seating in the main dining room on the first night. By the 3rd night not even 50% of the people showed up to eat and it stayed that way for the rest of the cruise. It's a great opportunity to get to know your servers and you will receive better service. Take advantage of it!

OP -

My family cruised on the Dream back in April and I have children who are close to yours in age. My review is here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1407878. It might answer some of your questions, but I'm not sure.

You will have a great time! We haven't cruised on Disney, but would love too. Price just keeps us coming back to Carnival...maybe one day though!

I posted over on your review thread but wanted to say "Thanks" here, too, for referring me to your review. Seeing pictures of venues on the ship (and in the ports) is helpful. And I'm glad I read about you all missing Roatan (not glad you had to miss) because I don't have that fixed in my brain yet that there is a good chance we'd miss it depending on weather. One thing about this being our first time on the Dream is that if we do miss a port, an extra sea day just gives us an extra day to explore the ship. And I'm glad you mentioned the pasta bar and where to find it :)

Nope - bring your own, and bring an iPod charger also! You can also use the phone to set up a wake-up call.

They did it 2 times when we were on - $15 per bag.

Yes, they do certain activities together. But your boys will probably "split off" from the club and meet up for basketball, pizza, etc. after the first night or two.

Glass - but you can also buy a red plastic drink container that they will re-fill - like a water bottle.

We also had movies in the theatre when the weather was really bad.

Some shows (Welcome Aboard, Love and Marriage, etc) are shown on the inroom tv. There are free movies also, and pay per view ones.

Most people like them, as they are close to the water. I am a sun person, and won't book one because they are mostly in the shade due to the lifeboats overhead.

You can definitely eat at the buffet, get room service. The dining room was open our last morning, also. If you eat in the dining room, they just seat you - your dinner dining time doesn't matter.

We enjoyed the Dream very much. Loved waterworks, and my dd loved the basketball court and mini golf course. Enjoy!

• 8 months later...

Coming back to provide info from our experience in case someone else is like me and looking at old threads :) We took one charger for iPod and shared it among us. Santa brought Kindle Fires to the boys so they shared a Kindle charger with their dad as there isn't much space for plugging things in to charge. We found that using the iPod for a clock worked out perfectly for us. We used the ship's TV to confirm the time, particularly before leaving on an excursion for the day.

We ended up packing enough to not have to do laundry, but there was no laundry "special" during the week, just a laundry bag at regular price. We ended the cruise with just a few clean clothes as we didn't overpack for once!

We talked with the counselors for O2 and Club Cool at the Youth Activities Information session held on sailing day at 5:30 about having the boys be in the same program. Based on the activities and our boys' interests, they were both in the Club Cool program. There was at least one activity each day that they wanted to participate in; the rest of the time they hung out together or with us (or slept). Sea days had more scheduled activities, of course. One thing they didn't like was that the space shut down during the dinner time (5:30 - 8:30) so they found that after dinner, they didn't have anything to do - at least until the Comedy shows started - we went every night it was offered.

We did get soda stickers in spite of the "sticker shock" for getting them! One thing we found was that you pick your favorite bar to get your drinks from - ours was the Lobby bar in the Atrium on Deck 3 - we were in a cove balcony so it was just right up the stairs from our cabin. We got well acquainted with the bartenders there (Dirk, Neli, Michelle), and they knew what we wanted before we even sat down. They knew I liked a lot of ice and by the end of the week, they would put a couple of cans on ice so it would be colder for me. And we introduced our younger son to the deliciousness of pineapple/orange juice combined - we loved that we could get juice as part of the sticker deal, too. We would sometimes see our bartenders at another location like up on deck and they remembered us - they remembered us from day one which is so fun because they see hundreds of people each week... but they could call us by name after the first day.

I tried several times to watch a movie in the stateroom but it wasn't until the end of the week when I found the paper that listed the movies for each channel and their starting times. I kept coming in at the middle or end! Wish they had an "on demand" sort of thing :)

We saw some of the stage shows, and the boys watched some of the guest shows. We watched some on the stateroom tv if we happened to flip the channel. Our favorite channel was the one that showed off the front of the ship.

Loved the Cove Balcony - would definitely book one again.

We did breakfast most mornings on the Lido deck, either in the Gathering or from one of the other stations about. On Christmas morning, our younger DS and I had breakfast in the MDR (not the Crimson one but the other one). On the last day, as each of us got up, we went to the limited buffet to get something to eat. We were in a later disembarking zone so we had plenty of time.

Archived