Another different kind of wine question

Bustersmom

Ok I see it is really up in the air as to how much wine and or beer you may safely bring aboard during embarkation,I understand the no "hard" liquor) so then we thought ok it is a vacation and we like a cocktail or two on our balcony so lets just buy the wine in the onboard store, yet I just read on the opening page of Cruise Critic that Princess policy is they will keep that til the end of the trip?I do not want to take to the dining room every night, that is not an option, so Is this true? Why then sell it onboard? Any help is appreciated, on the Grand in December.

If you purchase the wine in the duty free store, you do not get it until the end of the trip. If you purchase in the dining room, they will store any extra for you, or you can take it to your room. If your purchase at Vines or at the wine tasting, it can either be stored for you or you can take it to your room.

Ok I see it is really up in the air as to how much wine and or beer you may safely bring aboard during embarkation,I understand the no "hard" liquor) so then we thought ok it is a vacation and we like a cocktail or two on our balcony so lets just buy the wine in the onboard store, yet I just read on the opening page of Cruise Critic that Princess policy is they will keep that til the end of the trip?I do not want to take to the dining room every night, that is not an option, so Is this true? Why then sell it onboard? Any help is appreciated, on the Grand in December.

For wine purchased from Princess you can bring it to your cabin. It can be pre-ordered or you can buy a bottle onboard to bring to your cabin but it will include the 15% tip. I've never had a problem bringing wine onboard to enjoy in our cabin or pay corkage in the dining room.

For wine purchased from Princess you can bring it to your cabin. It can be pre-ordered or you can buy a bottle onboard to bring to your cabin but it will include the 15% tip.

True when purchasing it in a restaurant or bar onboard.

Not true when purchasing it in their duty free shop if they sell any wine there.

We usually shop for wine in ports. Depending on where you are cruising, this can be fun and give you an opportunity to try local wines. We usually have lunch on our balcony or in our cabin and enjoy wine with it.

Never had a a problem bring back a bottle or 2 in ports.

I don't recall ever seeing/noticing wine in the on board shop. Can anyone report seeing/buying wine from the on board shop?

If you anticipate wanting wine in your cabin, and not bringing it to the dining room, not sure why you would want to buy it at the on board prices. If you wanted to do that, I suppose that you could buy a bottle from room service, in the dining room or at vines--and not have them open the bottle.

There are many methods of safely packing it into your checked luggage if you don't want to / can't buy it at the port of embarkation. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wine+travel+protector&sprefix=wine+tra#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wine+bottle+protectors&sprefix=wine+protector&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awine+bottle+protectors

We have also sent through Black Box wine in our checked bag without problems.

One good thing about Princess is that they allow you to bring one bottle of wine aboard per person from each port.

Although embarkation rules say one bottle of wine per person, many cruisers put one bottle in each checked luggage AND one bottle in each carryon.:rolleyes:

For those of you who wish to have a cocktail in your room, I have a suggestion: Look up "Rum Runners".:cool:

One way to avoid corkage at dinner is for you and your spouse to take a glass of wine with you.

I'm not advocating any of the above, simply listing considerations.:)

I always travel with: 2 metal martini glasses, one plastic cocktail shaker, toothpicks, and giant olives. Target has high quality plastic wine glasses for traveling. They look like glassware...you can't tell the difference until you pick them up.

Metal martini glasses and plastic wine glasses allow you to take drinks to many ship and hotel swimming pools and hot tubs where they don't allow glassware.

Archived