Room Safes

rimau

Over on the Holland threads they are saying Holland is taking out the card swipe safes and putting in ones with key pads. Any chance Princess is doing this? The card ones are a pain in the b*** since there are two people and you can only use one card.

Over on the Holland threads they are saying Holland is taking out the card swipe safes and putting in ones with key pads. Any chance Princess is doing this? The card ones are a pain in the b*** since there are two people and you can only use one card.
The last couple of HAL cruises I've taken have had keypad locks. The card swipe version is a real PITA. When I used my cabin card, it wouldn't work sometimes. I'd have to call Security to open the safe and I'd be yelled at for using my cruise/cabin card; I was supposed to use a credit card. I told them that since my credit card was in the safe, which was the point of the safe, that wasn't going to happen. It always wound up being a stand-off. I "won" because I flatly refused to use my credit card.

Just as a side note to the swipe cards being a pita, make sure that you don't keep your card in a bag or wallet that has a magnetic clasp. The magnet could erase the code. My cabin neighbor had this problem on our last cruise until we realized her little wristlet had that type clasp and kept erasing her keycard!:rolleyes:

All of the Princess ships we have been on have had the key-pad safes.
It's probably been 15 years since Princess had anything else. Back in the mid-90's, they had safes with a dial, kind of like the old bank safes: turn left to 9, right to 3, then left to 5. Awful. Princess has never had the card-swipe type safe that I remember.

I'm glad Princess has the keypad type safes. I hated the safes on our HAL cruises, so it's nice to hear they're also switching over to keypads. I used a grocery store loyalty card instead of a credit card. But still it's a matter of putting the card somewhere that you'll remember but that the cabin steward won't find--not that we keep much in the safe or that the cabin stewards would even be looking for the card.

Just as a side note to the swipe cards being a pita, make sure that you don't keep your card in a bag or wallet that has a magnetic clasp. The magnet could erase the code. My cabin neighbor had this problem on our last cruise until we realized her little wristlet had that type clasp and kept erasing her keycard!:rolleyes:

I have a number of handbags with very strong magnetic closures, and none of my credit cards have ever been wiped.

Not saying it can't happen, just that it's never happened to me.

Archived