Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

K8sMom

Has anyone ever gone to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center just outside of Whittier on Seward Highway going toward Anchorage?

What did you think of it and is it worth a stop? We will be on a B2B and have rented a car in Whittier for the turn-around day. We went to Anchorage the last time we did this but did not have time to stop at the Center on our way back to the ship. This time we plan to go south down to Seward and the Kanai National Park and maybe go to the Center before heading south.

Has anyone ever gone to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center just outside of Whittier on Seward Highway going toward Anchorage?

What did you think of it and is it worth a stop? We will be on a B2B and have rented a car in Whittier for the turn-around day. We went to Anchorage the last time we did this but did not have time to stop at the Center on our way back to the ship. This time we plan to go south down to Seward and the Kanai National Park and maybe go to the Center before heading south.

EVERY trip I drive from Anchorage to Homer or return, I stop by. I DO NOT stop if I can see large tour buses (and you can when you pull in the driveway). The large groups of people kind of scare the animals. But it is truly special if there are just a few people in cars there The animals (particularly the bears) will be MUCH closer to the road, the muskox are something most people have never seen and the elk will get as close to the fence as possible-I think he thinks he is a person or dog and wants to be loved.

Most of the animals have been abandoned by their Moms or been injured and these people do a great job sustaining their lives. Well worth the trip and the few dollars.

We rented a car on a turn-around day and had a great time. We stopped at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center on our way toward Anchorage and stopped again on our way back. We are doing a driving trip next year and will be going there at least once. If you like animals, you will love this experience.

We much preferred seeing Alaska wildlife in the wild. The Wildlife Conservation was okay, but for us not a must see or do. We were just glad we had a coupon for one free admission. When I researched the Conservation Center I got mixed opinions. Those who really liked it and those who were more lukewarm about it. My DH and I fall into the lukewarm category.

We much preferred seeing Alaska wildlife in the wild. The Wildlife Conservation was okay, but for us not a must see or do. We were just glad we had a coupon for one free admission. When I researched the Conservation Center I got mixed opinions. Those who really liked it and those who were more lukewarm about it. My DH and I fall into the lukewarm category.

+1 on all counts.

For us we got to see a few animals we did not see in the wild while in Alaska last June. Though it is not much of a conservations center as it is a gift/food store with a few different animals behind a fence. It was included with our cruise/tour package. I would not pay extra for it. I'm sure there are better excursions to go on that give you a better chance at seeing wildlife.

For us we got to see a few animals we did not see in the wild while in Alaska last June. Though it is not much of a conservations center as it is a gift/food store with a few different animals behind a fence. It was included with our cruise/tour package. I would not pay extra for it. I'm sure there are better excursions to go on that give you a better chance at seeing wildlife.

You missed the best parts BECAUSE you were on a tour bus. The animals get way back away from the road/paths because of the amount of people and the noise they make. Even the large male elk who thinks he is a person or a dog and just wants attention and will hug the fence to get that attention backs away from the fence when the tour buses show up. And of course, the tour buses and their guides point you to the gift store much more than to the animals. As many times as I have been there (probably more than 20), I have been in the gift store TWICE (they do have some great quiviut stuff at slightly cheaper prices than the quiviut co-op in Anchorage).

Your chances of seeing muskox are very slim unless you go to Palmer or the North Slope. Same with the lynx. Even elk are not native to most of Alaska and the bison that are there are DIFFERENT from the bison/buffaloes in the lower 48. In fact, IIRC from reading the sign, there has not been the type of bison in Alaska there is at the Conservation Center in well over 100 years. They are trying to build a herd to re-introduce these special bison.

As I posted earlier, I pull down the driveway and if there are buses parked, I leave. Totally different experience when there are just a few people and their cars.

You missed the best parts BECAUSE you were on a tour bus. The animals get way back away from the road/paths because of the amount of people and the noise they make. Even the large male elk who thinks he is a person or a dog and just wants attention and will hug the fence to get that attention backs away from the fence when the tour buses show up. And of course, the tour buses and their guides point you to the gift store much more than to the animals. As many times as I have been there (probably more than 20), I have been in the gift store TWICE (they do have some great quiviut stuff at slightly cheaper prices than the quiviut co-op in Anchorage).

Your chances of seeing muskox are very slim unless you go to Palmer or the North Slope. Same with the lynx. Even elk are not native to most of Alaska and the bison that are there are DIFFERENT from the bison/buffaloes in the lower 48. In fact, IIRC from reading the sign, there has not been the type of bison in Alaska there is at the Conservation Center in well over 100 years. They are trying to build a herd to re-introduce these special bison.

As I posted earlier, I pull down the driveway and if there are buses parked, I leave. Totally different experience when there are just a few people and their cars.

Shoot I live here and have gone a few times, because I like the place and what they do.

The Bison they are working with are the Wood Bison. They were extinct here and they have been working with the US Fish and Wildlife to bring them here, quarantine them to ensure that no disease would be passed on to natural stock of other animals, build up the herd and then reintroduce them to back in Alaska where they were before they disappeared.

Susan in Anchorage :)

A lot of times with here and the Alaska Zoo is that these animals are behind fences because of the fact that they can not survive in the wild anymore for various reasons or that these places are helping to try to extend a species.

A Proud Alaska Zoo Moose Mom :D

• 3 months later...
A lot of times with here and the Alaska Zoo is that these animals are behind fences because of the fact that they can not survive in the wild anymore for various reasons or that these places are helping to try to extend a species.

A Proud Alaska Zoo Moose Mom :D

This is good to know as I don't care for animals in captivity but can appreciate something like this.

We might come here on our private transfer to Whittier on the embarkation day of our cruise. What amount of time is sufficient for visiting here?

Thanks!

Sorry, but your question made me do a double take....it is one of the most popular visitor sites in the area ;)

And I have been there several times with visiting relatives......

Renting a car for a long day like that would really open up more options rather than being confined to a tour. The drive along Turnagain Arm to The Wildlife Conservation Center is very scenic, arguably the best in Alaska.

Besides the possibility of seeing a bore tide and beluga whales there is Girdwood/Alyeska & the tram, Portage Glacier & the Visitor Center, Whittier for a day cruise. All of this could be done with a rental if you planned your time.

This is looking south towards the end of Turnagain Arm. http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=driving+to+hope+along+turnagain+arm&psc=G&filter=1#5510309714732601074

Thanks for that fantastic photo of bear in snow.

Will now need to find way of fitting this into our day there.:confused:

Can we take public transport to avoid those tour buses.

Would be great if the scenic rail stopped there on way from Anchorage to

Wittier although not sure how often train runs.

As mentioned, renting a car is your best option. Here is a link with some stops along the Turnagain Arm. There are other links on this site for other drives:

http://alaska.org/driving/turnagain-arm-drive.htm

I think the Portage Glacier Visitor Center is often overlooked by those on a short schedule, and was a place we thoroughly enjoyed. It's also another place that isn't worth stopping if there's a tour bus there, but one of the best visitor centers I've seen.

Archived