Flying into Miami day of cruise

lovescruising1963

DH won't fly in the day before, so we are flying in day of cruise. Arriving in Miami at 11:45 am. Any ideas how long from time we land till we find a taxi (how much taxi fair is), till we arrive at the Port of Miami. We are flying down on Monday, January 30, 2012. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

DH won't fly in the day before, so we are flying in day of cruise. Arriving in Miami at 11:45 am. Any ideas how long from time we land till we find a taxi (how much taxi fair is), till we arrive at the Port of Miami. We are flying down on Monday, January 30, 2012. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

If your flight is ON TIME..once you debark the plane,get your bags and a taxi you'd probably be looking at around 12:45pm, add in the ride to port, you'd probably be looking between 1:15-1:30. I won't preach about flying in the day before, but this'll be tight. An hour or so delay and that might be enough to miss the ship....

This is a major mistake. I don't care where you are flying from. If you are dependent on a flight to get you to the port for embarkation on the day you board you run a major risk and that applies any time of the year. Yes you increase your odds when with weather in January but other delays can happen or worse yet a cancellation.

In the end each person needs to do what makes sense for them but just be aware that you are taking a major risk.

If you arrive on time at 11:45 and assuming you have checked luggage assume you will not get your luggage until around 12:30 PM. Then add thirty minutes to get over to the pier assuming you are taking a cab. That puts you at 1:00 PM if everything goes well.

You need to check in 90 minutes prior to the ships departure.

All it takes is missing the ship one time and maybe your husband will come to his senses.

Keith

You did not say what time of year you are planning on flying down. If you are going in the winter, you are playing with fire. Any kind of weather in your area or the northeast could put you in jeopardy of missing your cruise. Bang your DH in the head and try and convience him to fly down a day early. After he gets down there he will understand why people fly down a day early. No worries, your there, and you just have to wake up and head to the port, all the stress is gone.

Ask DH how he will feel when the airline announces there will be a 2 hour delay departing because of weather.

You did not say what time of year you are planning on flying down. If you are going in the winter, you are playing with fire. Any kind of weather in your area or the northeast could put you in jeopardy of missing your cruise. Bang your DH in the head and try and convience him to fly down a day early. After he gets down there he will understand why people fly down a day early. No worries, your there, and you just have to wake up and head to the port, all the stress is gone.

Ask DH how he will feel when the airline announces there will be a 2 hour delay departing because of weather.

Her original post said January 30, 2012.

Yes, winter. Snow. But anytime of the year is a problem.

There can be flight delays or cancellations due to mechanical issues, computer shutdowns, insufficient flight personnel, emergency groundings, security breaches, FAA issues, catastrophic events, and the list goes on and on and on.

Keith

If everything goes perfectly and you actually land at 11:45am you will have to get off the plane and go to baggage claim to pick up your luggage. This puts you at about 12:30pm. Just outside baggage claim in the Miami airport is the taxi stand. Taxi from airport to Port of Miami will be about $25-$30.

This is if all goes well. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for disaster. I would never fly in the day of the cruise especially from the North when snowstorms could cause delays. Honestly if your husband refuses to fly the day before I really don't know what kind of help anyone can offer. Have a secondary plan in mind to fly to your first port of call to meet your ship.

I can only relay something that happened to us. (We're just down the road from you in Columbus, Ohio). We were booked for a February cruise (Eastern Caribbean) on RCCL. We booked our cruise and flight together through RCCL (first mistake), naively thinking that if there was a delay or problem with our flight, RCCL would be contacted and delay the departure time of the ship (second mistake). Our flight to Miami was on the same morning as our cruise (third mistake). While waiting at the gate to board the plane, we were told there would be a "slight" delay in the departure time (some sort of mechanical problem) but that we should still make it on time to Miami. I probably should mention the airline (Delta:eek:), but it could have happened with any airline. After more than an hour's delay had passed, with increasing stress on our part, another plane was brought to the gate, wings were de-iced, and we were finally able to get under way. Needless to say, we didn't make it to the ship on time. An RCCL representative at the Miami airport made arrangements for us to fly to Nassau, where we could catch up with the ship. The plane we flew on to Nassau was tiny (carried maybe a dozen passengers), with an equally tiny cargo compartment. We made it to Nassau all right, but our baggage didn't. Our baggage finally caught up to us in St. Thomas. The experience put a big damper on enjoying the first couple of days of our cruise. I have nothing but high praise for Royal Caribbean for the way they took care of us, considering that the flight delay (and related hassle) was not their fault. Anyway, as a result of all of that, we now NEVER fly the same day as the cruise departure. Take it from me (and everyone else that reccommends it), save yourself a whole lot of stress and anxiety and fly the day before. You'll be so glad that you did.

Since dh isn't in favor in flying in a day early, I'd start looking at your itinerary and figuring out where your ship will be the next day. If at sea, the day following that. Get flight info re getting to that first port of call and share with your husband. Also you'll end up getting a hotel for 2 nights in Miami while waiting to catch up to the ship.

I sure hope you have travel insurance. However, I'm thinking if DH is looking to save money,. maybe you all skipped that? If you DO have it, start reviewing how a missed ship is dealt with.

Delta, Detroit,Jan. weather, holiday weekend...ALL a big minus for you. All too much of a gamble for me.

I'd look for an airport hotel and research a nice low rate and see if you can talk him into a precruise night so you don't start the vacation with a stress filled and hoepfully not an "I told you so" drama.

Good Luck

We are also flying delta, oh man. Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

Is it a direct flight? Even then, that time of year is a crap shoot. If it isn't a direct flight then you're just asking for trouble. For the simple lack of stress, it really is worth flying in the day before if you are at all able to.

We are also flying to Miami via Delta from the northeast (Massachusetts) in January and we are going two days early (and our cruise is only 4 nights). Inexpensive hotel rooms can be found that provide a place to sleep "worry free". An added bonus, you'll be better rested to enjoy your first night on the ship.

We are also flying delta, oh man. Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

The last time I flew Delta to Miami for a cruise my luggage was lost for 2 days. Fortunately I went to Miami 2 days before the cruise and finally got my luggage the same day that the cruise was to leave. To be fair to Delta it can happen with any airline.

As many others have stated this is a bad idea. The deck is stacked against you. Flying from Detriot in winter, all it takes is one storm and you are done. One mechanical issue with the plane you are done, if you have to connect (especially in Atlanta, a big Delta hub) delays or missed connections you are done. If you really can't go the day before at least try and find a flight that leaves Detriot as early as possible that could get you into Miami before 9:00 am. Good luck, maybe these replies can help you talk some sense into your DH.

I'm flying from ORD to MIA in January the day of my cruise. I know it's not ideal, but it was my only option. I know I'm taking a risk, but I got travel insurance, and if things don't work out, they don't work out. Sometimes it's just what you have to do. It would be great if I could go down and spend 2 days in Miami before my cruise, but I can't and I'm willing to take the risk. You and your husband just have to pack your patience and accept the risk. Hopefully it will all work out! Good luck!

I've tried talking DH out of it, but he is adamant about this. Worst part is we will be flying out of Detroit, Michigan, so thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

what airline?, about a year ago flew Delta to San Juan, ouy of Detroit. Got to the airport 2-2/2 hours early Delta on opposite end of where you enter the terminal and was using the same check in area for ALL of their AM flights. Quick end to story we almose missed the flight, last ones on as rhey were closing doors to plane. Just based on our experience be carefull,

I'm flying from ORD to MIA in January the day of my cruise. I know it's not ideal, but it was my only option. I know I'm taking a risk, but I got travel insurance, and if things don't work out, they don't work out. Sometimes it's just what you have to do. It would be great if I could go down and spend 2 days in Miami before my cruise, but I can't and I'm willing to take the risk. You and your husband just have to pack your patience and accept the risk. Hopefully it will all work out! Good luck!

Being from Wis too, I agree this is a risk. . Especially... now you are dealing with just getting to ORD and then hoping there isn't a back up anywhere in the US causing even more problems ORD. Flying out of MKE is easier in most cases.

You along with many others, can't make an extra day of vacation work. BUt...you CAN be prepared and get your alternative flights lined up (on paper), phone numbers/email booking sites to rebook in case lines to change flights are way long, hotel locations and rates, trans to first port of call....well you get the idea. If you aren't prepared, you will spend too much time researching options, while others are taking any available alternatives before you. If you have a laptop or netbook, things would be easier too. Travel insurance is great, but they don't do the work for you. Hope all goes well.

We will be flying out in mid Jan. with an extra day thrown in for one big delay. IF all goes well.;)

Being from Wis too, I agree this is a risk. . Especially... now you are dealing with just getting to ORD and then hoping there isn't a back up anywhere in the US causing even more problems ORD. Flying out of MKE is easier in most cases.

You along with many others, can't make an extra day of vacation work. BUt...you CAN be prepared and get your alternative flights lined up (on paper), phone numbers/email booking sites to rebook in case lines to change flights are way long, hotel locations and rates, trans to first port of call....well you get the idea. If you aren't prepared, you will spend too much time researching options, while others are taking any available alternatives before you. If you have a laptop or netbook, things would be easier too. Travel insurance is great, but they don't do the work for you. Hope all goes well.

We will be flying out in mid Jan. with an extra day thrown in for one big delay. IF all goes well.;)

Absolutely...family lives right near ORD, so staying there the night before. Taking first flight out to MIA, and already have AA on speed dial and my ff# memorized since i"m using miles, and am only bringing a carryon, and have my game plan worked out should I need it. Thankfully I've traveled enough to know what I need to do and who I need to contact. I'm actually really anal about traveling--thanks Dad!--so I would never do something like this without about 10 backup plans. :) I'll have my blackberry and laptop. So, yes, hopefully all will go well. If not, then, there's nothing I can do, and life goes on. Have fun on your cruise. Winter has come too early here to WI!

Wow are you making a bad choice. On the other hand, playing russian roulette comes out fine five out of six times.

This may be OP's only choice. She was just coming to ask for advice. If her husband won't change his mind, there's nothing she can do. I think she knows it's not the best idea--just as I know my choice isn't--but I think we can help her with some ideas if this is what she's going to end up doing.

Last cruise we went on there was a storm in Maryland three days before flight but they couldn't clean up the storm that fast. We flew from Buffalo with Southwest and they cancelled our Sun flight on Sat p.m. Our cruise was Monday, they offered us early Monday morning flight but we found another airline to fly with on Sun. I just cannot take the risk of early morning flights.

I am flying late the day before my upcoming cruise and afraid of what will happen if that flight gets cancelled; I won't sleep at all if my only option is to fly the next morning.

Why won't your husband fly in the day before? Perhaps we can help you marshall your arguments to change his mind. Too much can go wrong in January.

If he's really that stubborn/crazy/ penny wise & pound foolish/stuck by circumstances . . .

1, take the earliest direct flight; do not fool around with connections & this is not the day to sleep in

2. keep an eye on the weather; if there's a snow storm brewing, try to fly stand by the day before

3. get trip insurance (I can't stress this one enough)

4. if you are so inclined, pray.

Archived