Question about bringing my laptop

I'm on vacation, that means leaving it all behind. Which means NO Email, NO phone calls, NO watching the news!

I would be happy to agree but my employer does not. Staying connected is a requirement of the "time off". At least they pay for the internet service charge. Of course, I have become a huge fan of Transatlantic itineraries with 3-4 days mid-ocean without sattelite coverage. Maybe that's why people say TAs are so relaxing. :D

You can maximize your internet minutes if you use Microsoft Outlook or other offline mail program.

Basically you start the program and read and compose message while off-line.

Go online using the RCL webpage

Then hit F5 to send/receive and all of your email will be send and received in under a minute.

Then go back to the RCL webpage, sign off and peruse your email at your leisure.

Doing this you can make 30 minutes last for the whole week, even with checking email several times a day.

Good advise..thanks! But usually one hour of internet is more than enough for me for a week. Last time I had time left...money left on the table. :eek: ;)

Sequim, I am not sure about your assessment that "passengers who can afford to cruise aren't interested in taking anything." How do you know they didn't steal someone's identity to book that cruise and obtain false documentation to get on the cruise? My parents have graciously paid for Veranda/Balcony or Junior Suite cruises for me and my husband, my brother, sister in law and their daughter on several occassions. I couldn't afford the accomodations on my own. I am not interested in taking anyone's things. But lack of wealth and ability to afford a cruise is no marker of honesty. Bernie Madoff certainly could have afforded to take a cruise before he was found out. However, he had no problem taking anything from anyone.

You can maximize your internet minutes if you use Microsoft Outlook or other offline mail program.

Basically you start the program and read and compose message while off-line.

Go online using the RCL webpage

Then hit F5 to send/receive and all of your email will be send and received in under a minute.

Then go back to the RCL webpage, sign off and peruse your email at your leisure.

Doing this you can make 30 minutes last for the whole week, even with checking email several times a day.

Thanks! Yeah, I do that too. :)

I have 2 email addresses. One is the Microsoft Outlook (quick download, then get out) and the other is a GMail system. Most of the "junk" goes into the Microsoft Outlook...goodie I get to check all my junk mail. ;)

I leave it at home, on my desk. Heck, I'm on vacation, that means leaving it all behind. Which means NO Email, NO phone calls, NO watching the news! :D

Being retired...it is like that all the time!! ;) :D

But I do like to check emails, especially from my cat sitter. Miss those furry "little children" as she gives me updates! ;)

And nice to check in for messages from relatives. Those are the contacts I don't mind.

.... Same slowness as using their PCs.

From my experience I have to disagree with the above statement. In my experience on various ships and classes the wireless was always better than using their computers. I´m not saying it was fast, but way better than theirs.

I also have to say over the past 10+ years the speed has improved on the ships. The only problem is that the speed ashore increased much more than it did on the ship;)

Oh yeah and count me in with the group leaving the laptop out on the desk all cruise long.

steal someone's identity to book that cruise and obtain false documentation

Passports are pretty hard to fake so avoiding closed loop cruises takes care of that risk. State issued DL or ID are not much easier to fake post 9/11. Not impossible but if someone were to go to that trouble they would be using it for more than taking a cruise.

Our last cruise actually was a gift too so while we didn't pay for that one there was still far more than a laptop's worth of expenses involved. Especially the worth of my old dinosaur laptop - which is probably why it is as slow as the ship PCs.

Actually next cruise I'm probably taking only my Nook for email as soon as I figure out how to copy SD photo chips with it. Laptop is too heavy anyway.

You can use Outlook to check your Gmail messages too.

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77661

I have 2 email addresses. One is the Microsoft Outlook (quick download, then get out) and the other is a GMail system. Most of the "junk" goes into the Microsoft Outlook...goodie I get to check all my junk mail. ;)

SD Cards are dirt cheap right now. I would just get a bigger card instead of hassling with copying to nook or laptop.

You can get a 16gb sdhd card for $19 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-16GB-Ultra-SDSDH-016G-Packaging/dp/B0017VRGXU

Even taking video, you would be hard pressed to fill it on a 7 night cruise unless you were taking RAW images.

Passports are pretty hard to fake so avoiding closed loop cruises takes care of that risk. State issued DL or ID are not much easier to fake post 9/11. Not impossible but if someone were to go to that trouble they would be using it for more than taking a cruise.

Our last cruise actually was a gift too so while we didn't pay for that one there was still far more than a laptop's worth of expenses involved. Especially the worth of my old dinosaur laptop - which is probably why it is as slow as the ship PCs.

Actually next cruise I'm probably taking only my Nook for email as soon as I figure out how to copy SD photo chips with it. Laptop is too heavy anyway.

SD Cards are dirt cheap right now. I would just get a bigger card instead of hassling with copying to nook or laptop.

You can get a 16gb sdhd card for $19 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-16GB-Ultra-SDSDH-016G-Packaging/dp/B0017VRGXU

Even taking video, you would be hard pressed to fill it on a 7 night cruise unless you were taking RAW images.

I would not recommend this. I´d rather buy multiple small SD cards oposed to one large one. SD cards tend to fail once in a while and with multiple smaller ones you minimize the amount od pics lost due to a card failure.

Same goes for if your camera or one of the cards is lost / stolen.

I would not recommend this. I´d rather buy multiple small SD cards oposed to one large one. SD cards tend to fail once in a while and with multiple smaller ones you minimize the amount od pics lost due to a card failure.

Same goes for if your camera or one of the cards is lost / stolen.

I'll disagree. Cards are cheep these days, and newer cameras use an ever increasing amount of space. Especially if you take some movies. This card is fine, get a couple.

One thing you can do is copy your pictures regularly to your laptop. Then you have a backup, just in case.

Good Morning, We are taking our first cruise with RCI and i'm so excited. We are taking LOS dEC. 5We've taken 6 cruises with carnival. My question is where do you guys store your laptops when you leave during the day to get off the ship. I worry that it might get stolen. I have never taken amy laptop on cruise so I'm clueless. Any advice? TIA1

Why would anyone want to bring a laptop on vacation.....GO FIGURE !

Why would anyone want to bring a laptop on vacation.....GO FIGURE !

Just off the top of my head

1) Make free calls back home

2) Share pictures with friends

3) Able to watch something besides reruns in the cabin

4) Share pictures from other cruises

5) Backup current pictures

6) Check in at work :-(

I'm sure there are other reasons...feel free to add to the list.

Just off the top of my head

1) Make free calls back home

2) Share pictures with friends

3) Able to watch something besides reruns in the cabin

4) Share pictures from other cruises

5) Backup current pictures

6) Check in at work :-(

I'm sure there are other reasons...feel free to add to the list.

My laptop is part of my photography equipment. I like to download my pix, create videos and slideshows, back up my pix.

Also, we do not have to wait to view them. See them every day on the laptop.

Archived