Still Pepsi - or back to Coke yet?

pcreek

Here's a neat map of who says pop, or soda, or coke.

For the record, I'm from southern Ontario and I have yet to meet another Ontarian who said anything other than POP.

popvssodamap.gif

Love it! From a native Philadelphian who never knew that Pepsi could be anything but soda ... until I went to Pittsburgh, and in the same state, it's "pop"!

Pop. Lol. Lived in Jersey/CT my whole life. It is soda, then you specify what kind. My friend in TN taught me the "coke" blanket term.

I can taste the difference in coke/pepsi as pepsi is sweeter and coke is more highly caffeinated. And some bars, etc might use a generic soda, but in any of the places I worked we used one of the major names (coke or pepsi) in the fountain drinks.

NCL is still Pepsi products though. If you like the caffeine free stuff bring your own.

I tried getting on the ship with an open 20oz bottle and was forced to chuck it, so I chugged as much as possible before throwing it out. :)

That's what I thought...but I wanted to make sure. I didn't want to have to listen to him gripe about having to throw away 1/2 bottle of his soda! LOL

He claims to know the difference in Coke / Pepsi. :rolleyes:

He said one is sweeter. (and since he's diabetic, he's overly cautious)

He doesn't mix w/ alcohol or go to bars.

Thanks for the info!

I agree with your dh. I'm also diabetic and the diet pepsi is alot sweeter. To the point of tasting nasty. And I've had friends who thought there really wasn't any difference in the taste of diet coke and diet pepsi so they would try to fool me by giving me the diet pepsi and I can always tell right away. But I also don't use it to mix with alcohol so don't know if that would make a difference.

Pop. Lol. Lived in Jersey/CT my whole life. It is soda, then you specify what kind. My friend in TN taught me the "coke" blanket term.

I can taste the difference in coke/pepsi as pepsi is sweeter and coke is more highly caffeinated. And some bars, etc might use a generic soda, but in any of the places I worked we used one of the major names (coke or pepsi) in the fountain drinks.

NCL is still Pepsi products though. If you like the caffeine free stuff bring your own.

I tried getting on the ship with an open 20oz bottle and was forced to chuck it, so I chugged as much as possible before throwing it out. :)

Is it really true that we can bring our own pop on board. All the info I've come across states that bringing any beverages on board is NOT allowed except one bottle of wine with a corckage fee.

We always bring our own wine on board- last trip was 9 bottles paid the $15/bottle corkage and off we go!!

My husband brought a 12 pack of Diet Coke on Spirit no problem and when we drove to NY for Dawn I had a case of Perrier. I stuck a luggage tag on it and it was delivered with our suitcases.

Pop/Soda is an ongoing battle with me and my husband's family. I am from CT and say soda they are from the midwest and say pop we joke about which is correct everytime we get together:cool:

Is it really true that we can bring our own pop on board. All the info I've come across states that bringing any beverages on board is NOT allowed except one bottle of wine with a corckage fee.

People bring pop on a regular basis though I cannot fathom why.

There is no limit to the wine allowed with corkage paid.

I agree with your dh. I'm also diabetic and the diet pepsi is alot sweeter. To the point of tasting nasty. And I've had friends who thought there really wasn't any difference in the taste of diet coke and diet pepsi so they would try to fool me by giving me the diet pepsi and I can always tell right away. But I also don't use it to mix with alcohol so don't know if that would make a difference.

Thanks, Sue!

(nice to know someone else totally understands!)

I think the alcohol reference is that if you drink enough, you wouldn't care anymore if it is Coke or Pepsi?! But, since he's diabetic, he can't drink - unless he stops taking one of his meds...and that really defeats the whole purpose, don't you agree? :rolleyes:

We're over all those drinking days anyway. Unfortunately seems like our whole roll call for this trip is really into drinking - least that is about all they are talking about! LOL

DO folks REALLY drink that much on cruises? and why? If I wanted to drink - get drunk - I can do that at home so much cheaper than taking a cruise! LOL ::shaking head::

DO folks REALLY drink that much on cruises? and why? If I wanted to drink - get drunk - I can do that at home so much cheaper than taking a cruise! LOL ::shaking head::

I'm not excusing getting ridiculously drunk but one major difference between drinking on land vs on a ship is that you don't have to worry about driving home when you're on a cruise. No need for a designated driver, either.

I'm not excusing getting ridiculously drunk but one major difference between drinking on land vs on a ship is that you don't have to worry about driving home when you're on a cruise. No need for a designated driver, either.

Well, that is a consideration, I guess! :)

Always good NOT to drink & drive!

It might depend on the procedures at your departure port. We had a thorough security check in Baltimore and had to dump out our water bottles prior to entering the terminal. Everywhere else we have walked on with open water or pop bottles in hand or in the carryon. It would be a long, hot wait in the sun with no drink at some of the ports!

Or even if you don't want to get drunk, you can drink and not worry about driving home.

Just got off the Sky this morning and our pop choices were:

Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Diet Sierra Mist, Ginger Ale and Orange Crush. On the first day only my daughter was able to get root beer at one bar.

The odd thing to me is that all the pop was in 2 liter bottles. Why don't they have fountains behind the bars? Also, you never knew what drink would be available at which bar until you go there and asked. Sometimes we would be told that they were out of what we wanted and other times we would just be given something different with no advance notice.

Thanks, Sue!

(nice to know someone else totally understands!)

I think the alcohol reference is that if you drink enough, you wouldn't care anymore if it is Coke or Pepsi?! But, since he's diabetic, he can't drink - unless he stops taking one of his meds...and that really defeats the whole purpose, don't you agree? :rolleyes:

We're over all those drinking days anyway. Unfortunately seems like our whole roll call for this trip is really into drinking - least that is about all they are talking about! LOL

I very rarely drink and dh only drinks beer. I was surprised on our cruise that he only had about 3 beers the whole 2 weeks. When I said something about it he told me after being in the Navy for 20 years, the one thing always drilled into their heads was the last place you want to be drunk at is on board a ship that is sinking. Not that I expect any cruise ship to be sinking god forbid but his statement sure made me think. :rolleyes:

LOL, just watched it last night(again), nothing beats the classics.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard soda refered to as tonic, I have I just can't remember where.

Maybe this will help !! It is from Universal Hub website.

Tonic

A carbonated beverage, you know, like Coke or Moxie. Oldtimers remember before the supamahket chains went all national and had "tonic" and "diet tonic" signs above their aisles.

Just got off the Sky this morning and our pop choices were:

Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Diet Sierra Mist, Ginger Ale and Orange Crush. On the first day only my daughter was able to get root beer at one bar.

The odd thing to me is that all the pop was in 2 liter bottles. Why don't they have fountains behind the bars? Also, you never knew what drink would be available at which bar until you go there and asked. Sometimes we would be told that they were out of what we wanted and other times we would just be given something different with no advance notice.

I hate to hear about the 2 liter bottles, the pop, soda whatever is never as potent as the fountain stuff. No pepsi card for me with this news.

And how do you think i feel as a Fresca drinker:It is distributed by Coke but not available on any of the ships I have sailed on ( 10 plus): Last year though I found two six packs in a little shop in St. Thomas: Wow: I sure did treasure that find:

Rum and Coke x never rum and Pepsi!

Archived