Passport needed for Western Carribbean destinations?

janiss815

Hi, we are going on Liberty in April 2012 with stops at Cozumel, Belize, Roatan (Honduras) and Grand Cayman. Do we need passports to get off the ship at these locations? We are traveling with kids whose passports are expiring a couple of weeks after our cruise. I think I read somewhere we need passports that are valid for 6 months after our visit. Is this true for these locations?

As long as it is a closed loop cruise (starting and ending in the same port) for these destinations, you do not need a passport. I prefer a passport but that is not a necessity. I would take their passports as identification.

You will not NEED anything other than photo ID and S&S card when you are in the ports. When you embark the ship you will need either a passport of DL/BC. You certainly can take your passport on shore with you, we always do, but it is not required so is a personal choice.

Birth certificate (state not hospital) and drivers license. If you miss the ship in any of these ports you will be on land illegally and it will make it much harder getting back to the US as you have to have a passport to fly into the US and from US to Mexico. Also if you had to meet up with the ship as you missed the departure you would not b able to as you can not fly into any of these places without a passport.. :eek:

Hi, we are going on Liberty in April 2012 with stops at Cozumel, Belize, Roatan (Honduras) and Grand Cayman. Do we need passports to get off the ship at these locations? We are traveling with kids whose passports are expiring a couple of weeks after our cruise. I think I read somewhere we need passports that are valid for 6 months after our visit. Is this true for these locations?

If the passports don't expire until after the cruise, even if it's 2 weeks your passports are fine for the cruise.

We just did the Liberty in September with passports that had less than 6 months left and there was not a problem.

There are only certain countries that require the 6 month rule and that is for people who fly in for a land vacation.

If you feel better renewing the passports i would go ahead and do it as they are going to have to be renewed sooner or later but it's not necessary for the trip in question.

Bill

Bill

Ok Ok LOL I guess I should just bite the bullet and renew their passports. I was trying to extend use of it as long as possible. Better safe than sorry...I have visions of getting stranded at these locations. LOL Thank you all!!!

Well, if you already have passports and are going to renew them anyway, might as well do it now and not have to worry about it.

Short answer to your question:

Passports are not needed and as long as they are valid on the day you return to the US there is no need to renew ahead of time.

End of discussion.

Passports are always a good idea and it is wise to renew them at least six months before they expire if you are travelling in that zone

Everyone says, closed loop, no passport needed. True, very true. However, do you know that there will no emergency that means you need to leave the ship early OR you miss the ship and need to get to another port. Well, this is where a passport is vital and necessary. You`d not get back into the US without the passport. By all means, you use judgement and do what you feel is right, but if in doubt, contact the state department for accurate rules for when to renew a passport.

Canadians, and all other foreigners travelling to or through the US, need to have a passport good for SIX months from the date of your departure.

Passports are always a good idea and it is wise to renew them at least six months before they expire if you are travelling in that zone

Everyone says, closed loop, no passport needed. True, very true. However, do you know that there will no emergency that means you need to leave the ship early OR you miss the ship and need to get to another port. Well, this is where a passport is vital and necessary. You`d not get back into the US without the passport. By all means, you use judgement and do what you feel is right, but if in doubt, contact the state department for accurate rules for when to renew a passport.

Canadians, and all other foreigners travelling to or through the US, need to have a passport good for SIX months from the date of your departure.

So if I cruise with just b/c and govt id and miss the ship in Cozumel I'd have to live there the rest of my life?

I could think of worse things. ;-)

Bill

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Good thing you are in Canada because you don't know about US laws. OP has passports, there is no need to renew them before the cruise becasue to return to the US they only have to be valid on the day of return. Caribbean countries, including Mexico never see the passports or other documents of cruisers, so the age until they expire is irrelevant.

Archived