How is the coffee on the Lido deck or room service?

CrusinAgain

My problem is I am such an early riser.

What time is breakfast served in the MDR? I don't really want room service. I need to doctor my coffee and also find no pleasure in eating or drinking in an interior room.

Many thanks.

Kathy

We're preparing for our first cruise, and we're pretty serious about our coffee. I was planning on bringing a french press, and I was just wondering how close to boiling I can get water delivered? Would the cabin steward be able to help, if we tipped him well? I was also thinking of trying to bring an immersion heater, haven't seen one in about 20 years but I've found that you can still get them. I'm wondering if a small immersion coil would be likely to be confiscated? Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

Your experience and preferences may vary, but I just got off Conquest and I thought the coffee was much better than on any of my previous cruises. It was much stronger and had a nice bite like a darker roast when compared to the swill I was used to them serving.

Just budget a little extra for the coffee bar if you find you don't like what they serve on your ship.

For what it's worth, JMHO, I think the lido coffee is just ok... I usually have just one cup with breakfast, and it is ok, but I rarely go back for a second cup. I find it a bit weak, but ok, and not really worth complaining about. I find that the coffee served in the dining rooms are very much better, and room service coffee is much the same, and that is quite good. So OP, if you are bringing a thermos, I suggest getting some from room service and then filling your thermos, ( it only costs the price of a tip to the person who brings it to your stateroom ). I personally dont like the coffee they sell at the specialty coffee place on the promenade deck. It is dark roast , and I cant stand the stuff. So Room service coffee quite good, and lido coffee, a bit weak, and just ok, but drinkable. Again this JMHO, and you asked for it.:)

petesweet, I only use room service to deliver coffee to my room when I first wake up and get ready for the day. I wouldn't eat breakfast in my room either--no way. The MDR hours for breakfast will be listed in your Fun Times paper that is delivered to you the night before. It's a small window--either 8 to 10 or 7 to 9. It varies depending on sea or port days. Definitely recommend MDR for breakfast--and Room Service coffee for immediately upon waking up. And the coffee shop for an afternoon coffee that tastes decent.

["Ruin Sorbees" person understand that you want a carafe of boiling water is just way more difficult than it's worth.]

I don't think anybody else got that, Gayle....but I did, and LMAO !! :D

I bring a large insulated cup, and powdered sugar-free vanilla coffeemate....makes the coffee drinkable for me, while out on the balcony. Be sure to order a carafe for two to get enough for several cups. Room service is pretty quick in the morning.

I found the coffee in the MDR to be much better than the Lido - although when I questioned the staff, they said it was made the same (sure didn't taste the same). THat being said, I pack Folgers Singles (coffee made with packets like tea bags). Tastes much better than Lido coffee, and takes no room to pack. Bring an inexpensive travel mug, that we usually leave behind after the cruise

For what it's worth, JMHO, I think the lido coffee is just ok... I usually have just one cup with breakfast, and it is ok, but I rarely go back for a second cup. I find it a bit weak, but ok, and not really worth complaining about. I find that the coffee served in the dining rooms are very much better, and room service coffee is much the same, and that is quite good. So OP, if you are bringing a thermos, I suggest getting some from room service and then filling your thermos, ( it only costs the price of a tip to the person who brings it to your stateroom ). I personally dont like the coffee they sell at the specialty coffee place on the promenade deck. It is dark roast , and I cant stand the stuff. So Room service coffee quite good, and lido coffee, a bit weak, and just ok, but drinkable. Again this JMHO, and you asked for it.:)

Yes I did ask for it and thank you very much for your suggestion and experience. :)

["Ruin Sorbees" person understand that you want a carafe of boiling water is just way more difficult than it's worth.]

I don't think anybody else got that, Gayle....but I did, and LMAO !! :D

I bring a large insulated cup, and powdered sugar-free vanilla coffeemate....makes the coffee drinkable for me, while out on the balcony. Be sure to order a carafe for two to get enough for several cups. Room service is pretty quick in the morning.

I got it as well....loved it. :D

Well we might be able to narrow it down to what type we plan to get up on sea days and if not everyone seems to agree that room service is fast in the mornings.

Just off the Pride and agree that the room service coffee is not hot, Lido was hotter. One night in the dining room it was terrible, other nights not as bad.

I agree that coffee is not one of Carnivals strenghts, but given that they have to make so much of it I decided not to dwell on it and just drank less than normal.

Just off the Pride and agree that the room service coffee is not hot, Lido was hotter. One night in the dining room it was terrible, other nights not as bad.

I agree that coffee is not one of Carnivals strenghts, but given that they have to make so much of it I decided not to dwell on it and just drank less than normal.

I just did it for my caffeine wake me up and I don't drink anymore after that. Thanks for posting your experience. Sounds like all the cruiseships are bad coffee.

Man, what a bunch of coffee snobs.

The coffee on the Lido and in the dining room is just fine. It's what you would get at a Denny's or that type of place.

If you want Starbucks type, most (all?) the ships have an extra cost coffee place.

Enjoy your cruise! The coffee will taste great sitting on deck watching the ocean slide by!

Okay, I understand that the coffee is mediocre at best. But, I also heard several people mention a coffee shop where I believe they mentioned that it still was not very good. However, are the other coffee type drinks any good at the coffee shop? Like a cappacino or latte? And if so do they offer a "coffee card" of any kind like the soda card?

Alternatively, since the coffee is at best questionable, how is the hot tea. Tea would be an acceptable alternative caffeine source for me since I enjoy both.

I really like that thanks to this thread I am aware of the problem and through others advise I can come up with a way to deal with it. Many thanks to everyone. :)

I ordered coffee for room service and it wasnt all that bad on Carnival as it is on other ships, I added a little hot water to it and it was actually pretty good. Same with the LIdo deck.

The coffee bar has coffee but that wasnt my favorite either, I prefer Dunkin Donuts Coffee myself. LOL

I found the room service coffee better than the Lido deck.

My biggest thing was bringing a travel mug for my coffee - it takes too many of those "mini" cups they give you for me to have 1 real cup of coffee (but then I drink an extra large tim hortons every morning).

oh yeah...a Timmy's extra large with milk and sugar........if only...;)

We're preparing for our first cruise, and we're pretty serious about our coffee. I was planning on bringing a french press, and I was just wondering how close to boiling I can get water delivered? Would the cabin steward be able to help, if we tipped him well? I was also thinking of trying to bring an immersion heater, haven't seen one in about 20 years but I've found that you can still get them. I'm wondering if a small immersion coil would be likely to be confiscated? Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

I wonder that as well. Princess allows coffee makers and Royal has kettles for suites and NCL provides coffee makers. I would love just to bring my little one cupper and be done with it.

Man, what a bunch of coffee snobs.

The coffee on the Lido and in the dining room is just fine. It's what you would get at a Denny's or that type of place.

The coffee on the Dream cruise I took in August was horrible. It was not worthy of a Denny's or any other coffee shop I know of. It tasted like they never cleaned the coffee dispensers/machines.

Maybe it varies from ship to ship...

Room service coffee is usually very good, that could be because I am on the balcony watching the ocean go by:D

I saw a sever on the lido deck fixing a cup of coffee for a guest and he showed me the trick. You put about a quarter of the cup with hot water and three quarters coffee. It is perfect and I drink my coffee black.

I found the coffee in the MDR to be much better than the Lido - although when I questioned the staff, they said it was made the same (sure didn't taste the same). THat being said, I pack Folgers Singles (coffee made with packets like tea bags). Tastes much better than Lido coffee, and takes no room to pack. Bring an inexpensive travel mug, that we usually leave behind after the cruise

We drink Folgers at home. Taking the singles is a great idea! Thanks for the tip! We'll drink a cup in your honor on our next cruise:). By the way, can you also order doughnuts or sweet rolls from room service to have with your coffee?

By the way, can you also order doughnuts or sweet rolls from room service to have with your coffee?

Room service for breakfast consists of fresh fruit, yogurt, dry cereal, condiments for coffee and tea, danish, muffins, bagels, milk, juice etc.

We order two pots of coffee, danish, and condiments for coffee, that gets us moving.

You can order as many danish as you want just specify when you put your Room Service tag out the night before. We also always tip our server $2 per room service visit. We have never had a problem with room service delivery, but then I always put the order out the night before I have never phoned anything in short notice.

I always laugh when this posting pops up because people are SOOOOO different when it comes to their coffee.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Starbucks coffee, have one in my building at work, have my 20oz travel mug filled twice a day there. I also enjoy Tim Horton's & McDonald's coffee.....I find nothing wrong with the Lido deck or room service or MDR coffee. I drink it all the time & never had a bad cup (yet!).

If you have something at home you love, maybe bring an "instant" version of it in case you don't like what is offered. If the ship coffee is fine, then you still have your instants to use.

Archived