Best Cabin for Alaska

divechick

I am planning to surprize my husband for his 50 birthday with a Alaska cruise so I want the perfect cabin for this special occassion so I plan to book as soon as Celebrity announces the 2013 itinerary which according to the TA should be shortly. Was thinking about a aft cabin since it will most likely be a M class ship. Any thought about the best location I want to make sure we have a great balcony with great views.

I am planning to surprize my husband for his 50 birthday with a Alaska cruise so I want the perfect cabin for this special occassion so I plan to book as soon as Celebrity announces the 2013 itinerary which according to the TA should be shortly. Was thinking about a aft cabin since it will most likely be a M class ship. Any thought about the best location I want to make sure we have a great balcony with great views.

I agree with an aft cabin...they are usually C1 cabins on the M class ships. Not sure if you can swing this, but if you make the reservation while on a celebrity cruise, you can usually book a C1 for the price of a C3 cabin. Of course that means you have to take a short cruise next year maybe in April/May and book it when you're alone on board, but just a thought.....

While I would generally recommend an Aft Cabin on an M class ship we had very little use of this balcony on our Alaska cruise at the end of August. We had rain the first evening and next day and the balcony was wet all the way back to the door, even being as deep as it was. It was also cool out and port intensive which cut down on balcony use. In retrospect we could have used the extra money spent on the C1 on other things for this cruise. We thought we would enjoy it while cruising Hubbard Glacier but had a much better view from the sides of the ship and more opportunity to move as the ship turned.

Mary Lou

We're the opposite of CHEZMARYLOU and spent a lot of time on our balcony on our Alaska cruise for our morning coffee, pre-dinner relaxing and winding down at the end of the day. We loved having a balcony. We don't care how cold it is though and find a way to enjoy. Our Alaska cruise was a number of years ago and a very warm summer though so it made it easy to enjoy it. We just added a sweater or light jacket or even our robes if it got a bit chilly.

I'd recommend the Celebrity Suite on the M Class ships...We did Alaska on the Summit, the first cruise of the season in late May...and though the weather was GREAT, it was still chilly...and many an early morning was spent with my feet propped up at the bowed-out, full length windows of the Celebrity Suite, cup of coffee in hand, enjoying the wondrous passing scenery (change that to a glass of wine in the evening)...and if the weather is even warmer, then once the verandahs are added to the CSuites...all the better !!

We have done 4 Alaska cruises & 3 with balcony cabins.All our cruises were in May& enjoyed great weather. We used our balcony cabin to view the Hubbard glacier experience & inside passage sailing :D.

Like the OP recommended you could simply take any balcony & save that extra $$$ of booking a C1 .

Here are 2 tour saver coupon books you can llok at their coupons on line ;which will save you Hundreds to thousands :

www.alaskadiscountcoupons.com

www.toursaver.com

Enjoy your cruise & the nice 50th birthday surprise for your hubby

We're the opposite of CHEZMARYLOU and spent a lot of time on our balcony on our Alaska cruise for our morning coffee, pre-dinner relaxing and winding down at the end of the day. We loved having a balcony. We don't care how cold it is though and find a way to enjoy. Our Alaska cruise was a number of years ago and a very warm summer though so it made it easy to enjoy it. We just added a sweater or light jacket or even our robes if it got a bit chilly.

We did spend time on our balcony, just not enough time IMO to justify paying for the C1 aft. I also think we would have seen as much or more booked on a starboard balcony for the north bound crusie. Our next Alaska cruise will include a balcony but not the extra money for an aft cabin.

Mary Lou

Definitely aft for an M-Class ship. FYI the itineraries will not be released until March 2012 at the earliest, quite possibly April or even May.

Absolutely right on!!! An aft CC is great, but an FV is FABULOUS!!!! We have done both and would do them again in a heartbeat!!! People want to come to your balcony for the fabulous views. As the captain turns the ship at the glaciers, the aft cabins get the best of all worlds as far as views. To us, it is worth the money!!!!!!

Archived