Leaving Tomorrow...Need some Help!

JetCruister

Hello...We leave tomorrow for Barcelona and will board the Connie on November 20! I have a quick question about the i-Phone...If I have the data roaming off, and the phone is in airplane mode, can I still receive and send text messages? Thanks in advance for everyone's help!! Happy Sailing..! :)

I agree with uktog. Leave the data roaming off and the airplane mode must be in the off position.

Be aware that you will not be charged for incoming text messages assuming you have ATT, but you will be charged for outgoing text messages. I am not sure how other carriers such as Verizon work.

If you plan to use your phone to call be sure that you have had international calling enabled on the phone by contacting your cell phone carrier.

Have a very safe and wonderful time. Bon Voyage!

Keith

I have the Verizon I-Phone. With the Data Roaming turned off, I am not able to receive text messages outside of the States. Even in Puerto Rico and St. Thomas, I had to turn on Data Roaming. As the others said, Airplane Mode must also be off.

Hello...We leave tomorrow for Barcelona and will board the Connie on November 20! I have a quick question about the i-Phone...If I have the data roaming off, and the phone is in airplane mode, can I still receive and send text messages? Thanks in advance for everyone's help!! Happy Sailing..! :)

Enjoy your cruise! Hope you have time to experience the amazing city of Barcelona. When on the Solstice in June, I have an iPhone through Verizon and got a few junk text messages while in Europe. It would have been good to have shut it off to lessen those messages coming in while sailing in Europe. Now, I know better for the future.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 48,983 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Just to make sure we are clear:

You want data roaming off unless you have purchased an international data plan from ATT. even then you'll need to switch data roaming on when you need it and off when you don't to keep from blowing past the usage limit on your international data plan. Data roaming has nothing to do with voice calls nor text messages for the most part although you do need data services to download voice messages on an iPhone and might need it to send/receive multimedia text messages (photos or video).

Airplane mode: When airplane mode is "ON" all the radios on your phone are disabled and the phone can not receive or send phone calls or text messages. Turning airplane mode on also turns off the wifi but you can turn this on seperately if needed.

As long as you have airplane mode off (the normal setting) you can send and receive phone calls and text messages. In Europe you'll pay the international rates and for Spain this is $1.39/minute and text messages are $0.50 for outgoing and incoming are the same rate you pay at home (no charge if within your plan limits). http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp

There is no way to disable the voice service and still receive text messages. Note that if you have your phone on and calls ring on the phone but go to voicemail if you don't answer them then you will still be charged the international rate for the phone call. The only way to avoid this is to turn your phone off or put airplane mode on so that calls go straight to voicemail without ringing through to the phone first - but then you can't get/send text messages.

IMPORTANT: Also - make sure you have international roaming (for voice and text) enabled with ATT or you won't be able to send or receive voice calls nor text messages in Europe. This is not a setting on your phone but rather is ATT allowing your account to send and receive phone calls and text messages out of the country. You can set this online or call ATT. If you call ATT they will try and sell you a monthly service for $5/month which provides a very small discount on voice calls but you do not have to have this service. There is no charge at all for having the international roaming enabled for voice and text as they only charge will be for actual usage. Do not confuse the "international roaming" setting with ATT for voice and text with the "data roaming" setting on your phone for cellular data services - the word roaming is common between them but they are different things otherwise.

Just to make sure we are clear:

You want data roaming off unless you have purchased an international data plan from ATT. even then you'll need to switch data roaming on when you need it and off when you don't to keep from blowing past the usage limit on your international data plan. Data roaming has nothing to do with voice calls nor text messages for the most part although you do need data services to download voice messages on an iPhone and might need it to send/receive multimedia text messages (photos or video).

Airplane mode: When airplane mode is "ON" all the radios on your phone are disabled and the phone can not receive or send phone calls or text messages. Turning airplane mode on also turns off the wifi but you can turn this on seperately if needed.

As long as you have airplane mode off (the normal setting) you can send and receive phone calls and text messages. In Europe you'll pay the international rates and for Spain this is $1.39/minute and text messages are $0.50 for outgoing and incoming are the same rate you pay at home (no charge if within your plan limits). http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp

There is no way to disable the voice service and still receive text messages. Note that if you have your phone on and calls ring on the phone but go to voicemail if you don't answer them then you will still be charged the international rate for the phone call. The only way to avoid this is to turn your phone off or put airplane mode on so that calls go straight to voicemail without ringing through to the phone first - but then you can't get/send text messages.

IMPORTANT: Also - make sure you have international roaming (for voice and text) enabled with ATT or you won't be able to send or receive voice calls nor text messages in Europe. This is not a setting on your phone but rather is ATT allowing your account to send and receive phone calls and text messages out of the country. You can set this online or call ATT. If you call ATT they will try and sell you a monthly service for $5/month which provides a very small discount on voice calls but you do not have to have this service. There is no charge at all for having the international roaming enabled for voice and text as they only charge will be for actual usage. Do not confuse the "international roaming" setting with ATT for voice and text with the "data roaming" setting on your phone for cellular data services - the word roaming is common between them but they are different things otherwise.

Thanks!

Archived