Need help to convince DH re Tahiti

alexandra cruiser

DH is convinced that its "just like Hawaii",,,and really not too inthused about taking PG cruise there,,,what can I do to convince him?

Have looked at reviews and websites,,looks great to ME...any info would be a real help...

If I do,,would you recommend booking pre cruise stay at one of the PG hotels?taking their air,,saw article above,,or booking own?Which cruise,,,7 or 10 to start/and best dates,,,how s Dec...sorry,,,basically want every detail,,whew...Thanks in advance....;)

As someone who has been to Hawaii eight times and FP twice (third time starting this Friday!), I can assure anyone that they are not even close to being the same experience. While the Hawaiian islands are wonderful, they do not compare to the more tropical islands found in FP. FP is less developed and given that many of the islands are surrounded by outer coral reefs the water is better suited for most water activities. There is also a huge cultural difference between the two places with FP being more relaxed and focused on the Polynesian experience.

Alexandra - count me in with those who've both been to Hawaii, and done this cruise before...and honestly I'm not sure even apples/oranges can define how different they are. More like a single pineapple vs palm trees dripping with coconuts with the most spectacular sunset seen peeking between the fronds. :p

Hawaii is lovely and reasonably tropical, and has some of the same flora/fauna, but it's still...well...America. Unless you get out to the remote islands and make a concerted effort to escape civilization (which very few tourists to Hawaii do), it's just not all THAT different from, say, Newport Beach, CA.

Tahiti/French Polynesia is an entirely different, exotic country...different culture (a unique blend of French and Polynesian), different inhabitants, VERY different in terms of its feeling of remoteness, and lack of civilization-overrun or tourism-overload. It looks and feels significantly more wild and alien. The topography and scenery is also different - much smaller islands, more lush and beautiful, bluer water, coral reefs. Honestly, I consider French Polynesia to be THE most beautiful place on earth...and I've been all over the world. It's absolute paradise, from a beauty perspective. And it is, by a wide margin, the most ROMANTIC place on earth! That's why so many honeymooners go there. Experiencing it also helps you understand why the crew of the Bounty would rather mutiny than leave. ;)

Now understand I'm not actually talking about the island of Tahiti specifically - it's probably the least attractive and interesting. Tahiti itself is not all that great - Papeete is kind of a dirty city. (I haven't driven around to see the rest, to be honest.) But other than the start & finish, you spend the bulk of your time on other islands (Society Islands plus either the Tuomotus, or the Marquesas, or the Cook Islands, depending on your itinerary).

Hawaii as a whole is a well-known, overbuilt, overhyped and overrun tourist destination. French Polynesia, and the islands you'll visit on this cruise, are WAY more "off the beaten path".

And all this is JUST talking about the destination...without even getting into all the amazing things about this ship. I've been on many cruises, but the PG is a completely different animal. It's not even in the same category as any of the big-ship cruises you might have taken. Most cruise ships can plop themselves into any part of the world, and if you don't get OFF the ship, you won't have a clue where you are. This ship is purpose-built just for this spot, and provides total immersion in French Polynesia. The crew are, well...they're just different. Many of them have been on this one ship for ten years or more. They know how to make the entire experience magical for you.

If that doesn't get your DH on this cruise, well, that's all I got. :D

I have to concur with LeeAnne. Doesn't compare and going on PG makes it even more special. With that said that is why we are heading back next year for another round of paradise.

LeeAnne.. great write up.. you had me at the first sentance :)

he s now "going to think about it" ,,which is a step in right direction...think problem is we live in FL..and have access to beaches,etc..so that is not a big draw...he likes exploring new places for history,scenery,culture,,etc...not the snorkeling,water sports stuff,,,

Have Carribean one lined up in 4 wks,,says we ll see after that...then river cruise on Danube in May..looking for next Dec. so have time.

BUt from what I ve read and seen,,,FP looks like heaven,,,I was a big fan of "Adventures in Paradise" TV show and always wanted to go ,,,;)

I spent much of my life in Hawaii, and trust me it is very different from Tahiti. Tahiti is much less developed than Hawaii (but I saw some signs that it might be changing, much to my worry). Tahiti reminded me of the Hawaii I grew up in long ago. My hubby was not too thrilled about accompanying me there because he is not at all interested in oceans and beaches, but he was very satisfied and of course really taken in with the shipboard luxury. Says we can go again in the near future, hooray!!!

So funny that I didn't see this thread earlier! We havent been to either, so were pretty clueless, but My DH and I needed to choose a place for our 25 th, and lots of people suggested HI. It just felt like if we were going to go that far ( from the E coast) we'd rather go to FP because it was so different, and unspoiled.( or Australia- but we didn't have enough time for that!)We often go places a bit off the beaten path and never regret it!

I hope you and your DH will find the right place for you!

On our 10 day cruise on the PG in August we took a cultural tour in Huahine and Morea to break up the beach and snorkeling we knew we would due on the other islands. Your husband I think would enjoy both of those tours on these islands. If you decide to go book the Mark Eddows tour through the ship early. He was a graduate assistant to the professor who originally did the digs on Morea from Harvard. Outstanding tour, nice walk through the forest and a great history lesson about the culture. We also have been to Hawaii many times and now FP twice. There is no comparison but we love both. The PG on the other had is as stated. Completely different. I felt like family when we left. The service, quality of meals and itinerary are something completely different from any other cruise we have been on and we have been on 20. I'm trying to figure out how to get back as soon as we can.

even after all the good info,,,so we switched plans and now going to Vietnam and Cambodia on AMA next Dec...to him its more historical and something totally different...I m game since always was on my bucket list,,,maybe Tahiti later??Thanks all of you,,really appreciate your time and love CC for getting all the answers...:)

• 2 weeks later...

We met a couple on the ship that liked Africa. She really liked the people and enjoyed seeing prey animals consume other animals. She didn't think she would ever return to FP. Just goes to show, different strokes for different folks.

Can't think of anything I want to see in Southeast Asia that would lure me away from the PG even after trip number 5 just 16 days ago.

I met someone who said he didnt like the PG trip as there was no night life!

I was in a state of shock.

I loved my two african safaris and would love to go back to south africa but the PG calls me a lot more. Its that FP Flu that gets me everytime. Now we have decided to give in gracefully and plan a trip every alternate year as long as health permits!

I met someone who said he didnt like the PG trip as there was no night life!

I was in a state of shock.

I loved my two african safaris and would love to go back to south africa but the PG calls me a lot more. Its that FP Flu that gets me everytime. Now we have decided to give in gracefully and plan a trip every alternate year as long as health permits!

Yes, I know what you mean. We have been there too!:D

Its that FP Flu that gets me everytime. Now we have decided to give in gracefully and plan a trip every alternate year as long as health permits!

I know...Do you realize it has been LESS than 5 months since we were last on board? I have the FP Flu SOOOOO BAAAAAD! Hope to make it to 2013! I suppose our 2012 sailing on the Voyager will help us to survive the two years between PG cruises.

Motu Islander,

I am normally like you but for the next six months I have so many large and small trips planned that just keeping them in control is a feat in itself , and of course getting my work done as well! Once those are over the PG longing will come back in full force but at least by then I will have something booked to look forward to.

Archived