Just back from the first Eastern Caribbean Cruise on the Ruby of the Fall 2011 season

TorontoTL

Can you tell me about embarkation? What time did you arrive at the port and how were the crowds? And, what time was muster? Thanks again!

--------------

I'm also curious about embarkation & the time of muster.

Some of us (from CC) are planning to meet up around 3pm on our departure day for a quick meet & greet - is that going to be an issue with muster?

Thank you, Benny, for the detailed report! :) Very informative indeed, especially being so positive.

:cool:deb

Thanks for your review. We leave Sunday for our first Princess Cruise on the Ruby so I'm glad you had such a positive experience.

What time did you all go down for dinner most nights? If you only had a wait one night, that may be the time to go!

We generally went for dinner between 530 and 600 pm. If you went then or much later after 8 pm I'd say you wouldn't have to wait. A small line up happens at 530 but everyone is seated and not turned away, it just takes a while to get everyone seated.

--------------

I'm also curious about embarkation & the time of muster.

Some of us (from CC) are planning to meet up around 3pm on our departure day for a quick meet & greet - is that going to be an issue with muster?

Thank you, Benny, for the detailed report! :) Very informative indeed, especially being so positive.

:cool:deb

Deb, our embarkation was delayed because it was the first time the Ruby had been back in the US since it was in Europe over the summer. As a results, the US Coast Guard was doing a thorough inspection. The muster was around 4 pm I believe. A 3 pm meet up would be fine.

Thanks for your wonderful review! We will be on the Ruby at Christmas time and are booking a dive in St. Thomas with our favorite operator. Does the Ruby switch to AST or does it stay on EST for the duration of the cruise? If it changes, when does it change and for how long? Thanks!!!

Thanks for your wonderful review! We will be on the Ruby at Christmas time and are booking a dive in St. Thomas with our favorite operator. Does the Ruby switch to AST or does it stay on EST for the duration of the cruise? If it changes, when does it change and for how long? Thanks!!!

It will change time the day it enters a new time zone. The time changes on ship are made at 2 AM.

There will be a notice in the Patter about each time change. For example, if the time change is at 2 AM Wednesday, it will be in the Tuesday Patter. (Note:You will get Tuesday's Patter Monday evening. If you read it then, don't get misled into thinking the change occiurs that night.)

The cabin steward will also put a card indicating the change on your bed when doing the eveing turndown service.

The time change might also be mentioned by your waiter at dinner and by the Cruise Director at the end of the evening's show in the Princess Theater.

Benny,

Can you address embarkation? What time do they "open the doors" so to speak and how are the crowds? I'm wondering because there are EIGHT ships in port the day we depart and I'm thinking the earlier we get there the better. Thanks!

It will change time the day it enters a new time zone. The time changes on ship are made at 2 AM.

There will be a notice in the Patter about each time change. For example, if the time change is at 2 AM Wednesday, it will be in the Tuesday Patter. (Note:You will get Tuesday's Patter Monday evening. If you read it then, don't get misled into thinking the change occiurs that night.)

The cabin steward will also put a card indicating the change on your bed when doing the eveing turndown service.

The time change might also be mentioned by your waiter at dinner and by the Cruise Director at the end of the evening's show in the Princess Theater.

In my experience Princess tries to make sure that they stay on the correct time when in each port and will change the ships time to match the time in each port. This was certainly the case on our sailing.

Benny,

Can you address embarkation? What time do they "open the doors" so to speak and how are the crowds? I'm wondering because there are EIGHT ships in port the day we depart and I'm thinking the earlier we get there the better. Thanks!

As I mentioned earlier, our sailing was unusual in that it was the first of the Caribbean season and as such, the US Coast Guard had its inspection. This greatly delayed the embarkation and in fact there was a huge line up outside the terminal. However, as an "preferred" client we were able to wait inside the terminal in the preferred lounge.

In normal circumstances I've often been able to embark at around 1130 am when I have arrived at that time.

Deb, our embarkation was delayed because it was the first time the Ruby had been back in the US since it was in Europe over the summer. As a results, the US Coast Guard was doing a thorough inspection. The muster was around 4 pm I believe. A 3 pm meet up would be fine.

==========

Thanks for you reply. 9 more days until it's our turn, and I am very much looking forward to our cruise.

deb:cool:

In my experience Princess tries to make sure that they stay on the correct time when in each port and will change the ships time to match the time in each port. This was certainly the case on our sailing.

Thanks Benny. That really does help!

Rick

I'm wondering because there are EIGHT ships in port the day we depart and I'm thinking the earlier we get there the better.

At Port Everglades, each ship departs from its own terminal, so the terminal that the Ruby will use will only be used by Ruby passengers.

We were on the same cruise and agree with you completely it was a truely wonderful week!! Don't want to hijack your thread but wanted to add some comments if you don't mind.

First, yes embarkation was delayed by the Coast Guard approximately an hour for the folks that got there before 1:00. I think it may have caught Princess off guard because there were very few Princess staff around the lines initially to explain what was going on. Of course once the line started moving everything went smoothly as usual. My wife and I were in the shade so for us it was just a chance to meet a few more people and talk about the week ahead.

Second, as you said the staff were uniformly friendly and helpful. We saw nothing close to rudeness like sometimes gets reported on these threads. We were also VERY impressed with the Captain's comments and the minutes of silence in recognition of Veterans Day. I've never served but it brought a tear to the eye of this 55 year old. We were on Emerald the same week two years ago and didn't remember anything being said but that could have been a port day and we just didn't hear it.

Speaking of ports......for those who like to snorkle....we can HIGHLY recommend the Princess excursion STT-812 on St Thomas...Turtle Cove Catamaran Sail, Snorkle, Beach & Lunch. The Castaway Cat crew were all great. While snorkling (pictures attached) we saw turtles, nurse sharks, rays and beautiful coral. On HoneyMoon beach a young couple got engaged. It was a PERFECT day!!:D

Finally, food!! We had anytime dining and wanted a table for two and the longest wait was maybe 10 minutes....no big deal at all. The food and service were great and seemed better than the Emerald two years ago. I will say that the threads that I've read that say you can order "whatever" you want (in my case steak & baked potato)..."just ask" are wrong!! I asked and was politely told that it wasn't available that night. The Crown Grill was worth every penny of the extra charge!! Our/my only complaints if any were about the Horizon Court and Cafe Caribe. Would it be that hard to put the "theme" of the evening in the Patter? Also, as a southern boy....if you can fix baked beans for breakfast why not biscuits & gravy...just askin!!;)

All in all it was just a great week and even the weather cooporated...the only time it rained was for a few minutes the afternoon of Princess Cays and while we were snorkling on St Maarten. It seemed like the week flew by but it left us thinking about the next one!! Attached are some pictures from the week....hope your week is as great as our's was!!!:)

909905943_cruise2011(1).jpg.acb20d87d0942039d10101b5e703edff.jpg

1020422899_cruise2011(2).jpg.4be75f333787ceba4baf0c03e920d125.jpg

782680938_cruise2011(3).jpg.82fed9cffa9ad9cbb314dbdcafd27ba1.jpg

360079725_cruise2011(4).jpg.b04ab328d3c1f86d2a4234ab91a4674f.jpg

1122149743_cruise2011(5).jpg.59b276f56b304397f65b16aa8a9adeb6.jpg

1357467178_cruise2011(6).jpg.b7b571893b20724d5ed2a357a4f98f4b.jpg

1517909353_cruise2011(7).jpg.f55f8acb18f2e85e5a1ea27b52ade74d.jpg

1064762713_cruise2011(8).jpg.be369e30fa696be1ab1239e32728daf3.jpg

1118167179_cruise2011(9).jpg.229a9befd21232987f0155c92837fde2.jpg

2090999080_cruise2011(10).jpg.9a511a03b5c1a79bffbb771b079ec5ff.jpg

1660316789_cruise2011(11).jpg.c59844bb34ea9d32237bf1ed4a9b9e2f.jpg

1746672507_cruise2011(12).jpg.d27d61095cac23b6b76e633798114c21.jpg

1649935764_cruise2011(13).jpg.99d3da9cf84ae0b6101b6eba635f4163.jpg

1955107759_cruise2011(14).jpg.2ecc4e74d3d6dc88b0c0abe8bba9906c.jpg

I will say that the threads that I've read that say you can order "whatever" you want (in my case steak & baked potato)..."just ask" are wrong!! I asked and was politely told that it wasn't available that night.

The "asking" needs to be done 24 hours in advance and with your headwaiter.

We were on the same cruise and agree with you completely it was a truely wonderful week!! Don't want to hijack your thread but wanted to add some comments if you don't mind.

Loved your additional comments, thanks for adding them.

Did anyone take any pics of the menus? First time sailing on Princess and dont know what to expect...

Below is a sample menu, but not from this itinerary. It will give you an idea of the type of food available at dinner in one of the main dining rooms. Except for the "Always Available" section and the After Dinner Drinks list, the menu will change each evening.

2888831620016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

2794997790016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

2403571840016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

2395805630016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

Speaking of ports......for those who like to snorkle....we can HIGHLY recommend the Princess excursion STT-812 on St Thomas...Turtle Cove Catamaran Sail, Snorkle, Beach & Lunch. The Castaway Cat crew were all great. While snorkling (pictures attached) we saw turtles, nurse sharks, rays and beautiful coral. On HoneyMoon beach a young couple got engaged. It was a PERFECT day!!:D

:)

Thanks so much for your comments. I saw in your pictures that you went snorkeling in St. Martin and in Grand Turk. Which excursions did you take and how did you like them?

Archived