The "Packing Light" method...

Aviendah

I usually roll our clothes and separate them into packing cubes to keep organized. I just watched this video on "Packing Light" however and now I'm intrigued. I travel for work so I thought my system was pretty good until I saw how much this guy got into a carry on. I'm tempted to trial this method before we leave just to see if there's truth to it.

That's very similar to how I always pack, except that I fold everything around a packing cube with undies and workout clothes that sits in the middle. Works fairly well on pants and shirts. Sports or suit jackets need a slightly different method to avoid major wrinkles in the sleeves. Downy Wrinkle Free sprayed lightly on unpacking will handle most of the creases you might get.

That is very interesting to say the least. With the airlines charging for checked bags I bought each of my family members those carry on bags. Looks like since it is bundled I guess the clothes won't wrinkle as much cause it won't all slide to one side. I am all for packing light......less wash to do when ya come home lol!

AMAZING....thanks so much! Just so happens I am in the process of packing right now; for FIVE people taking a 7 day cruise leaving Sunday. This method would mean no garment bag and less bags if I can get it to work. :confused: If I use larger bags but use the same method I may only be toting a few bags this weekend! :p

Fingers crossed!! ;)

AMAZING....thanks so much! Just so happens I am in the process of packing right now; for FIVE people taking a 7 day cruise leaving Sunday. This method would mean no garment bag and less bags if I can get it to work. :confused: If I use larger bags but use the same method I may only be toting a few bags this weekend! :p

Fingers crossed!! ;)

Well, when you get done packing drop a line here and let us know!!

I've a 7 day on the Splendor in 10 days! I travel A LOT and thought I packed well until I saw this video.

I have been using this method for two years and I love it. The only problem is I wash clothes so I repack the same way. I do put my socks and undies is ziplock bags insteah of the over the door thing he showed.

I keep them in the baggie and when I get on board I can just put the dag in the drawer...sorry I dont want them toching something tht I dont know was ther before me :)

Hope it work for ya'll as well

Have been using this method for several years (since reading the book Smart Packing) and LOVE it - it really cuts down on wrinkles. The only caution I have is for anyone who is flying and using this method to pack a large checked bag. The method still works great, but it can be really easy to fit so much in that you wind up with an overweight bag. :rolleyes:

I have used this method and it is very good; however, we just returned from a 16 day transatlantic cruise with an extra two days in Barcelona and DH and I each had a carry on and a backpack. We got everything we needed packed by rolling our clothes. This included our shoes (no we did not roll our shoes - LOL). We coordinated everything but still had plenty to wear on the trip. We did have laundry done on the ship. By rolling, you can utilize those sides and corners that tend to have space.

It looks like a great way to pack, but in watching the video, it seemed that this would work only for a smaller person. I'm a big man and I'm sure there are many like me who cruise. I notice no men's dress shoes went into the bag. He was packing what appeared to be sandals or a small person's footwear. No suit coat. Where were the razor and shaving cream? I forget how many shirts he packed. I wonder if he could pack the same number of shirts if they were 2XL or 3XL? Same with pants. It's one thing to pack several pair of women's or a small man's pants. Could he do the same thing with the same number of pants if they were say, 44-34? I didn't see a belt or swimming suit for men. Where does my snorkel and mask go? It may work for smaller people, but I don't think it would work for large men or women. Bummer. If it did work for someone who is larger, let me know. I tried it and didn't even come close. In fact, I couldn't even begin to zip the bag closed.

It looks like a great way to pack, but in watching the video, it seemed that this would work only for a smaller person. I'm a big man and I'm sure there are many like me who cruise. I notice no men's dress shoes went into the bag. He was packing what appeared to be sandals or a small person's footwear. No suit coat. Where were the razor and shaving cream? I forget how many shirts he packed. I wonder if he could pack the same number of shirts if they were 2XL or 3XL? Same with pants. It's one thing to pack several pair of women's or a small man's pants. Could he do the same thing with the same number of pants if they were say, 44-34? I didn't see a belt or swimming suit for men. Where does my snorkel and mask go? It may work for smaller people, but I don't think it would work for large men or women. Bummer. If it did work for someone who is larger, let me know. I tried it and didn't even come close. In fact, I couldn't even begin to zip the bag closed.

I tend to agree ... My wife is fluffy and I wear XL shirts...We have used this method to a degree in the past and it works, maybe not as well as the vid. One has to consider the amt. of material and also one has to change their way of thinking in that items can be worn more than once or even twice with the use of fabreeze and wrinkle release. We are downsizing this year to 2-25" spinners and a carry on 22 " duffle (we don't fly). It will be quite the challenge from 2 duffles and 2-29" spinners.

I tend to agree ... My wife is fluffy and I wear XL shirts...We have used this method to a degree in the past and it works, maybe not as well as the vid. One has to consider the amt. of material and also one has to change their way of thinking in that items can be worn more than once or even twice with the use of fabreeze and wrinkle release. We are downsizing this year to 2-25" spinners and a carry on 22 " duffle (we don't fly). It will be quite the challenge from 2 duffles and 2-29" spinners.

I wouldn't dare say my wife is fluffy. I want someone to cruise with in February!

Most military veterans (myself included) learned how to roll their clothing tightly. I've used that method many times when cruising and it seems to work better for me due to the size of my clothing. I once tried those bags that you insert clothing into and then suck out the air. It was great - I was able to to pack twice as much as I normally do. The only problem was that the bag weighed about 350 pounds! Oh well. Back to military rolling.

If anyone tries this at home you'll have to let us know how you do! I believe toiletries are supposed to go in the second bag style carry-on. He forgets however that somewhat high maintenance women have lots of hair products that need to be checked. So I think we will still end up checking one large suitcase for the 4 of us and trying to fit the rest in carry-on's. And yes, we all have snorkel gear as well so we may end up with 2 checked bags. When I get my clothes around I'm going to roll my clothes like usual and then take them out and try this new method and compare the two.

If you go to the actual website for Packing Light they do go into more detail about suits and whatnot. http://www.packinglight.net/packinglight_video_library.aspx?dept_id=1960