The "Packing Light" method...

Aviendah

I'll go you one better -- if you're driving, that is . . .

Instead of making two bundles -- one for pre-cruise and one for cruise -- pack all your cruise clothes in your suitcase, and put your night before /pre-cruise stuff in a separate bag. Leave the cruise suitcase in your car, never bring it into the hotel, don't bother with it before the cruise. When you reach your hotel, JUST bring in your one- night tote bag, which would contain one set of PJs, toiletries, and the outfit you want to wear for boarding. If you're only staying one night, one tote bag will probably do for the whole family. Leave your dirty driving-day clothes in the car; don't bring them on the cruise.

You might need to transfer your toiletries over to the main cruise bag ... But everything else is just easier is it's in separate bags.

That's what I do but sometimes is two days worth

Good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Over the years I have tried most packing methods before settling in on folders and cubes. All the packing methods have pluses and minuses but with folders and cubes I can easily make changes just by adding or removing something from each packing aid. Once onboard the folders and cubes go directly into a drawer or closet without unpacking them.

I hand wash most items and when cleaned they go back into the folder or cube. I try to wear clothing that needs dry cleaned or pressed at the beginning of the cruise and have the ship do the cleaning midway through the cruise. That way I have very little to clean when I get home.

On the last day all I have to do is to replace the folders and cubes to my luggage.

Shak

Love this packing plan! Going to try it for our upcoming cruise.

I will say that i have successfully packed my family of 4 for an 8 day cruise plus a 1 night pre cruise stay, into a checked suitcase and 2 carry ons, but going to try to get us all into 4 carryons- and maybe 2 back packs for the kids stuff.

We are packing tonight for an early flight tomorrow. May try this

We only do carry on now but t was very challenging to get there.

The only thing that worked for us was to buy two carry on size cases and then limit ourselves to this, plus DW's big purse. Now that we have done it a few times we are hooked and would never go back. It makes travel more enjoyable for us and it certainly gives us a lot more flexibility.

Edited by iancal

Has anyone figured out the perfect way to carry coconut oil ? It needs something that won't leak when it melts. I need to be able to take it in my 3-1-1 bag . Want to do carry-on only for my week in PR with cruise following. We use these bags :

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-mother-lode-weekender-convertible-junior/241465?productid=10209115

Thanks

Edited by Athankfulheart

We are packing tonight for an early flight tomorrow. May try this

We only do carry on now but t was very challenging to get there.

The only thing that worked for us was to buy two carry on size cases and then limit ourselves to this, plus DW's big purse. Now that we have done it a few times we are hooked and would never go back. It makes travel more enjoyable for us and it certainly gives us a lot more flexibility.

Congrats on being able to do that

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Has anyone figured out the perfect way to carry coconut oil ? It needs something that won't leak when it melts. I need to be able to take it in my 3-1-1 bag . Want to do carry-on only for my week in PR with cruise following. We use these bags :

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-mother-lode-weekender-convertible-junior/241465?productid=10209115

Thanks

I use small 1oz jars with lids.

clear_glass_salve_jars-product_1x-1403631874.jpg

I have some of these containers. I've used them for lotions, shampoo, laundry detergent. and never had any leaking. they are soft silicone and fit easily in your 3-1-1 bag. I've not used them for coconut oil but i think they would work well

http://www.amazon.com/humangear-Gotoob-Travel-Bottle-Orange/dp/B009NJVSXC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410301654&sr=8-2&keywords=travel+tubes

http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Gear-Silicone-Containers-Assorted/dp/B006ZTBVX0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1410301790&sr=8-4&keywords=travel+tubes

Finally got to Vienna to start our trip. Rain. Flights were delayed because we had snow where we live.

We had three flights and had to rebook two of them.

We experienced the second reason why carry on is so great....airline re-schedules mid trip. Carry-on bags allow us complete flexibility in grabbing an alternate flight/alternate airline in case of a schedule interuption and assures us that in these instances our bags will actually arrive when we do! Particularly with a very tight connection. Works well for us.

Edited by iancal

I've been enjoying this thread and hope to avail myself of some hints next cruise, but in all reality, probably can't do it! I'm too much of what if that happens person.

I think shoes are the worst for packing.

For me:

Need good walking shoes (like Keen's) for walking/excursions in rainforest, etc.

Beach shoes for snorkeling in rocky water

Gym sneakers (will wear to ship)

Flip flops for pool/room, one pair of heels.

Heels for formal nights

For DH

Same as above except dress shoes instead of heels!