The "Packing Light" method...

Aviendah

OMG!!! This is GREAT!!!! I am a HUGE overpacker to the point where my boyfriend refuses to help me with ANY of my bags anymore. Last time at the airport, I was at the curb trying to move things from one bag to another due to the weight! (It was NOT a pretty site!) I'm going to give this style packing a try. I hope it works for someone like me that is a HUGE overpacker!!! :D

It looks like a great way to pack, but in watching the video, it seemed that this would work only for a smaller person. I'm a big man and I'm sure there are many like me who cruise. I notice no men's dress shoes went into the bag. He was packing what appeared to be sandals or a small person's footwear. No suit coat. Where were the razor and shaving cream? I forget how many shirts he packed. I wonder if he could pack the same number of shirts if they were 2XL or 3XL? Same with pants. It's one thing to pack several pair of women's or a small man's pants. Could he do the same thing with the same number of pants if they were say, 44-34? I didn't see a belt or swimming suit for men. Where does my snorkel and mask go? It may work for smaller people, but I don't think it would work for large men or women. Bummer. If it did work for someone who is larger, let me know. I tried it and didn't even come close. In fact, I couldn't even begin to zip the bag closed.

It does work with those sizes mentioned. 16 & 44

The trick to packing light is to mix and match. Ideally all tops will coordinate with all bottoms. 5 tops and 2 bottoms is 10 outfits. limit the amount of shoes. A man can get away with 2 pair- packed flip flops and a dark walking shoe. One belt for the whole trip. Don't be afraid doing laundry at least once.

Shoes are the difficult things. Pack inside the shoes.

Don't complain how big a man's shoe is, ever see a size 11 woman's sneaker?:p

Here's a good light packing list

http://www.*****.com/savvyguide/know_before_you_go/what_should_i_pack/minimalist_packing

A few years ago we went to St Thomas for a week. Was able to get snorkel, mask & fins into the bottom of our non expanded carryons.

My beauty needs aren't as extensive as most women (short hair only needs my fingers) but my emergency medical kit more than makes up for the lack of blowdryer and curling iron.

How to pack a suit

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=790622

It does work with those sizes mentioned. 16 & 44

The trick to packing light is to mix and match. Ideally all tops will coordinate with all bottoms. 5 tops and 2 bottoms is 10 outfits. limit the amount of shoes. A man can get away with 2 pair- packed flip flops and a dark walking shoe. One belt for the whole trip. Don't be afraid doing laundry at least once.

Shoes are the difficult things. Pack inside the shoes.

Don't complain how big a man's shoe is, ever see a size 11 woman's sneaker?:p

Here's a good light packing list

http://www.*****.com/savvyguide/know_before_you_go/what_should_i_pack/minimalist_packing

A few years ago we went to St Thomas for a week. Was able to get snorkel, mask & fins into the bottom of our non expanded carryons.

My beauty needs aren't as extensive as most women (short hair only needs my fingers) but my emergency medical kit more than makes up for the lack of blowdryer and curling iron.

How to pack a suit

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=790622

Hmmm. Well, okay. As I mentioned earlier, I tried it and failed miserably. I used three 2XL t-shirts, one dress shirt, size 19 1/2 X 36, two pairs of Dockers, size 44X34, one pair of men's shoes, size 13 wide, five pair of underwear, one suit coat, size 52 Long, one suit pant, size 44X34, four pair of black socks, three pair of grey socks, three pair of ankle socks, one pair of sandals, size 13. I simply could not fit all this in a carry on bag and I followed the packing method to the T. And by the way, I haven't even gotten to toiletries. The other issue I have is with liquids. If I pack them on the bottom like shown in the video, I'm going to have to dig them out. That's assuming I can get the thing closed in the first place. I'm sorry - it may work for you - it didn't work for me.

I love this idea, but only 2 pairs of shoes? :eek: I'm going to have to try this also. The one problem I see is that you can only bring 3 oz or smaller for your shampoo/conditioner etc. something that size will not get me through 2 weeks let alone a month. I don't use the products supplied by Carnival, I've tried and it wasn't pretty.

We're heading down to Texas soon... Hubs tomorrow is flying, me & grown DD & her BF are driving down on Tuesday.

Used this method just a few minutes ago packing Hubs suitcase (a very small carry-on --- 20" in height). I was able to get in 2 pair of jeans, 1 pair dress pants, 2 pair jeans shorts, 8 t-shirts, 2 long sleeve t-ish-shirts, 2 long sleeve dress shirts, 7 pair socks, toiletries, cell phone and blue tooth chargers, meds and about an inch thick file folder of docs that need to be taken with.

He stood there watching me do it and was sure it wasn't going to work. I was acting all superior telling him "I saw the video, I KNOW it will work", though I was a little apprehensive to tell the truth. :o

IT WORKED! And actually, there is probably room for more, but he's not a girl, so he wont need anything else. If anything, I over packed for him.

Thanks OP for posting this... MUCH appreciated!

I love it! I will definitely try this for my February cruise. I do check a large suitcase so I think I will use a smaller one to create the clothing bundle then move it to the larger suitcase and put in toiletries shoes and etc in the extra space.

I've been using this method for several years, except I do it in my big suitcase instead of a carry on. The clothes come out wrinkle free! I've even packed floor length formal gowns this way! For me, the advantage when using this method in a large suitcase isn't to save space, but to save on wrinkles. But, as another poster said, in a large suitcase you do have to be careful about weight because it does save space which is then easy to fill with other things. :D

I really did not believe it would work, so I gave it a try for a week trip for thanksgiving, using a similar size carry on as in the video.

2 pairs of shoes

2 jeans

2 dress pants

1 knit lounge pants,

2 sweaters

9 shirts

1 lightweight jacket

1 lightweight top

1 short

2 tshirts

1 small eBay with underwear, etc....

And my flat eBay toiletry bag

I didn't believe it would work, it did.....If I expanded the zipper I could have fit a bit more in.....perfect training for my cruise in 48 days.....I think Ill have even less clothes.

Hmmm. Well, okay. As I mentioned earlier, I tried it and failed miserably. I used three 2XL t-shirts, one dress shirt, size 19 1/2 X 36, two pairs of Dockers, size 44X34, one pair of men's shoes, size 13 wide, five pair of underwear, one suit coat, size 52 Long, one suit pant, size 44X34, four pair of black socks, three pair of grey socks, three pair of ankle socks, one pair of sandals, size 13. I simply could not fit all this in a carry on bag and I followed the packing method to the T. And by the way, I haven't even gotten to toiletries. The other issue I have is with liquids. If I pack them on the bottom like shown in the video, I'm going to have to dig them out. That's assuming I can get the thing closed in the first place. I'm sorry - it may work for you - it didn't work for me.

It's true, if you are a bigger person, it is a bit more of a challenge. If you must take a suit (as you will, if you are on a cruise and want to dress for formal night), this will make things much more of a challenge. There is not any way I can think of to lighten up a suit.

On the other hand, there are many ways to generally get the bulk of your clothes to a minimum. Don't pack jeans. They are a no-no if packing light. Why in the world are you packing TEN pair of socks? A basic rule of packing light is that you will be washing some things out in the sink. If you are packing thick cotton socks, they will take forever to dry. Thinner synthetics are a breeze to wash and dry in your room. (this is also why you don't take jeans -- virtually impossible to wash out in your sink, and take days to dry.) You take just a very few pair of underwear, socks, undershirts and wash them in the sink, hang dry. Swimwear may double as shorts and/or sleepwear.

Look for clothes specifically designed for travelling. Dockers are not the best choice. Try to find lightweight, wrinkle-resistant fabrics. One example in the video was pants with zip-off legs that convert from full length to shorts. My husband has a pair and loves them. They dry very fast, so easy to wash out in your room. It's true that if you are packing for a business trip, this will be more of a challenge than packing for a tropical vacation.

Shoes: wear your bulkiest pair of shoes. Pack two more pair. Three pairs of shoes should carry you through any situation. By the same token, plan to wear on the plane the bulkiest clothes you expect you will need. Save your suitcase for the thinner items. The reason you didn't see a belt in the suitcase is because you are wearing it! You only need one.

Toilitries: they go in your second bag. Notice that there were no liquids or other items in the video. You are allowed two carry-ons. Use one for your clothes, the other for toilietries and other items. Snorkel, well maybe that can fit with your toiletries, unless you are Lady Gaga and have 10 pounds of makeup.

It is true that a petite little lady will have less trouble than a big guy. But it can be done. My family of four recently went on a 2 week driving vacation in our Honda Accord. We each had one medium suitcase (carryon size) plus one bag for toilitries that we all shared. We had to pack for a variety of weather, as we were going from nearly 100 degree weather in deep south Texas, to snow in the Rocky Mountains, to cool evenings in the upper Midwest. In addition, we had an ice chest and bag of snacks in the trunk for picnic lunches to reduce eating out expenses. It worked, everything we needed for 2+ weeks fit. And my hubby is 6'2". So is my daughter. And she wears size 13 shoes!

It takes practice and some effort to search out the best clothes for packing light, but it can be done! good luck!

Becky

I really did not believe it would work, so I gave it a try for a week trip for thanksgiving, using a similar size carry on as in the video.

2 pairs of shoes

2 jeans

2 dress pants

1 knit lounge pants,

2 sweaters

9 shirts

1 lightweight jacket

1 lightweight top

1 short

2 tshirts

1 small eBay with underwear, etc....

And my flat eBay toiletry bag

I didn't believe it would work, it did.....If I expanded the zipper I could have fit a bit more in.....perfect training for my cruise in 48 days.....I think Ill have even less clothes.

Wow...great job! I'm traveling to Louisiana for a week for business so I'll have suits and skirts to deal with. I got some new silicone travel bottles that are 2oz and I love them. 3oz is huge but might be ok for longer trips especially for shampoo and conditioner. I got different colors for lotion, hair gel, cleanser etc. Don't put liquid eye makeup remover in though...it made the silicone expand like crazy. The liquid didn't seem to be the problem, just the Nutrogena eye makeup remover solution. http://www.ebags.com/product/travelon/smart-tubes-set-of-2-2-ounce/203407?productid=10106897

203407_3_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=95,1&hei=280&wid=280

I use a version of this method. Haven't mastered formal wear yet (tux just seems too large but my clothes are fine), only casual clothes. We find we are doing formal night less and less. Although our carry-on is with us, I always cross pack.

Shoes, limited to two pairs - wear one and pack one, in plastic bags placed against side. Pack underwear first in zip loc bags. Plastic helps the next layer to move. Next goes the pants. Long pants first with shorts in the center before folding the legs.

Here is where I deviate. I leave the shirts on hangers covered by plastic from the cleaners. This really helps with wrinkles and all you need to do is shake out and hang once in the cabin. My husband's shirts are large, so I use a small hanger and fold the sleeves and sides to fit. Works great.

Our lightweight jacket, which we use for all travel with layers if needed, is placed in a large zip loc, air removed, and placed in the outside pocket of the carry-on. Once it's unpacked and on a hanger, wrinkles fall out.

Cosmetics are packed in a smaller bag that fits over the handle of the carry-on. Camera, meds, papers are packed in another small bag and placed over the handle.

At least one hand is always free. Wonderful to be free of the large suitcase!

Shirley

• 2 years later...

Someone up there mentioned that 3oz is too little shampoo for two weeks.

Do a test run and see how long a particular size will actually last. I've done this many times with different products- Argan oil, hair gel, hair cement, Vaseline, shampoo, foundation etc.

Recycle containers. Eye drop vials and contact lens cases work great for small amounts of oil, foundation and other types of 'goo'.

Check out the sporting goods and outdoor stores for small, leakproof containers. I've purchased 1oz bottles at REI. They're targeted towards backpackers.

All else fails - travel with a man. Typically they only use 1/2 of the 311 space. :D