Muster Drill during Super Bowl

rockymo

We will be starting our next cruise on Feb. 5 which is Super Bowl Sunday. I understand that Princess will be showing the game on board, I also know that muster drill will occur approx. 8:00 or so. Will they interupt the game to do the drill? I know a couple of football fans that will have to be dragged kicking and screaming (regardless who is playing) Go

Bears!. Does anyone have any insight into this situation? We have been on many many cruises and have NEVER skipped out on a muster drill before, but this might be a deal breaker.

We were parked in San Juan during the 2009 NFC Championship game between the Vikings-Saints. They did not turn off MUTS for the muster drill.

i could not believe it when i read your thread.

if you value a game of football more than your life,then miss the drill,simple as that

i am a sports lover from australia,and there is no way i would miss the drill, not only for my sake,but also to know where to go go and to assist my wife in case their is an emergency.

as i say,what is worth more

have a great cruise

I'm not condoning missing a drill, but you can read that information on the back of your door.

I'm not condoning missing a drill, but you can read that information on the back of your door.

That only tells you where to report. It does not cover information such as bringing your pills and how to walk off a deck into the water from the ship.

I'm not sure about football games at any of the bars but they don't interrupt the TV programs on the cabin TV's during muster.

They do broadcast the muster drill over the loudspeaker system into each cabin, so you will not be able to hear the TV over that.

your encouraging someone to break maritime law and they do scan cruise cards on some ships now days which means putting the cabin steward into your cabin looking for you ,how embarrassed would one be when entering the muster station after that.

what is more important learning how to save your life if something happens on the ship (which does rarely from personal experience star princess fire)or miss a section of a football game.

They do not look for people who are not in attendance at any muster drill- ever. If you're not there, you're simply not there. No one says a word to anyone by the pools & no one checks cabins to see if anyone is hideing. They would only do a complete check if there was a true emegency.

Some people need it spoken to them aloud since they never took the time to read the back of the door.

They do broadcast the muster drill over the loudspeaker system into each cabin, so you will not be able to hear the TV over that.

Not so on the Star and the Emerald. There are no speakers in the cabin to blast the announcement other than the general call.

Anyone that reads this thread should know that a few posts here saying that it is ok to skip the muster drill is poor advice that risks your safety as well as others. Not knowing where to go or what to do in a real emergency can cause panic and danger to all onboard.

You can get good advice on this website but it won't be from posters that flaunt

rules and regulations to suit their own needs. When posters stoop so low as to encourage breaking the law, they should be ignored.

Anyone that reads this thread should know that a few posts here saying that it is ok to skip the muster drill is poor advice that risks your safety as well as others. Not knowing where to go or what to do in a real emergency can cause panic and danger to all onboard.

Good point. Also, the repeated statements that attendance is never taken at muster drills was refuted in my post #20 and Morriscats post #26 that attendance is being taken on some ships. Both Morriscats and I reported that cruise cards were scanned when entering your muster station on two different ships last month and there was a makeup drill for the no shows.

Not so on the Star and the Emerald. There are no speakers in the cabin to blast the announcement other than the general call.

There are speakers in every cabin on these and other Princess ships. They are usually used only in case of emergency. Examples of announcements we have heard over the speakers in the cabins:

o Announcement that a port will be missed due to rough seas

o Announcement that a helicopter will be evacuating a patient and people need to stay away from certain areas on the ship

o Announcement looking for a missing passenger while on the ocean (passenger was located)

o And the muster speech when we were on a B2B and did not have to attend

I'll confirm that. In addition to scanning our cards with a hand held terminal, they were doing room clearances AND sending runners out to look for people (or at least a staff member left the wheelhouse bar and came back with a sheepish looking couple - my original thought was they went to the wrong station, now I am wondering)

Good point. Also, the repeated statements that attendance is never taken at muster drills was refuted in my post #20 and Morriscats post #26 that attendance is being taken on some ships. Both Morriscats and I reported that cruise cards were scanned when entering your muster station on two different ships last month and there was a makeup drill for the no shows.

I'll confirm that. In addition to scanning our cards with a hand held terminal, they were doing room clearances AND sending runners out to look for people (or at least a staff member left the wheelhouse bar and came back with a sheepish looking couple - my original thought was they went to the wrong station, now I am wondering)

Like I originally posted there were no cabin checks on the Star, Grand and Emerald Princess as some people believe. If anyone believes they do check I guess the just missed us on the last 10 trips.

All scanning cards are at a random to test the equipment & not for a total check of all the pax.

Like I originally posted there were no cabin checks on the Star, Grand and Emerald Princess as some people believe. If anyone believes they do check I guess the just missed us on the last 10 trips.

All scanning cards are at a random to test the equipment & not for a total check of all the pax.

I hope for you that they don't miss you when there is a real emergency.

Theo

On my most recent two Princess cruises, they scanned everybody's card at the Muster Drill.

They do try to get everyone but if anyone is missed they'll never start looking for you or say a word about your card not being scanned.

I hope for you that they don't miss you when there is a real emergency.

Theo

Not to worry as we know where to go and when to go there.

This was on the Island. It would make sense they were using a smaller ship to test the full check procedure...

We will be starting our next cruise on Feb. 5 which is Super Bowl Sunday. I understand that Princess will be showing the game on board, I also know that muster drill will occur approx. 8:00 or so. Will they interupt the game to do the drill? I know a couple of football fans that will have to be dragged kicking and screaming (regardless who is playing) Go

Bears!. Does anyone have any insight into this situation? We have been on many many cruises and have NEVER skipped out on a muster drill before, but this might be a deal breaker.

What the ? Are you kidding me? Please!

Other than a B2B, I do believe you are incorrect. I've yet to find any language in any policy that does not require every passenger to attend the muster.

I was on a b2b on RCCL and tried to get out of attending a second muster drill. No way - we were required to attend both.

Other than a B2B, I do believe you are incorrect. I've yet to find any language in any policy that does not require every passenger to attend the muster.

On Princess, you're definitely excused on a B2B. You feel kind of naughty having a glass of wine on your deck while everyone else is practicing putting on a jacket. We've done a couple of B2B and have never had to attend.

If you stay in the same cabin, that's the current policy as I know it (if you move cabins to a different zone I think you may have to attend). As noted, its technically against the rules for Princess to allow it, but not enforced.

Given all the controversy, I put a call in earlier. To paraphrase the answer - 'all passengers onboard are required to attend the muster drill unless otherwise advised. Staff at the muster stations have the ability to verify the attendance and some areas of the ship will be selected for a sweep to verify that all passengers have exited. This includes the majority if not all of the public areas. Anyone who misses a muster drill must attend a replacement drill within 24 hours of sailing. Failure to do so could result in fines against the ship which will be passed on to the passenger if levied.

On Princess, you're definitely excused on a B2B. You feel kind of naughty having a glass of wine on your deck while everyone else is practicing putting on a jacket. We've done a couple of B2B and have never had to attend.

If you stay in the same cabin, that's the current policy as I know it (if you move cabins to a different zone I think you may have to attend). As noted, its technically against the rules for Princess to allow it, but not enforced.

Given all the controversy, I put a call in earlier. To paraphrase the answer - 'all passengers onboard are required to attend the muster drill unless otherwise advised. Staff at the muster stations have the ability to verify the attendance and some areas of the ship will be selected for a sweep to verify that all passengers have exited. This includes the majority if not all of the public areas. Anyone who misses a muster drill must attend a replacement drill within 24 hours of sailing. Failure to do so could result in fines against the ship which will be passed on to the passenger if levied.

Unless you actually spoke to the Ships security officer, I'd take that response with a grain of salt. To my knowledge, B2B passengers are not required to attend unless it's been a certain amount of days since your last one. I can't remember the number of days, but it's more than 15 as that's what we did on Coral before staying on to Vancouver and we were excused.

That's the whole point of the 'unless otherwise advised' part of the policy, specifically to cover things like B2Bs (I think you get a letter in your cabin advising you of the issues like customs requirements and muster drills, correct?). There's also an exception that can be granted for a person under medical care among others.

What I couldn't find out was if you change cabins to one using a different muster station during the B2B do you need to attend.

Unless you actually spoke to the Ships security officer, I'd take that response with a grain of salt. To my knowledge, B2B passengers are not required to attend unless it's been a certain amount of days since your last one. I can't remember the number of days, but it's more than 15 as that's what we did on Coral before staying on to Vancouver and we were excused.

That's the whole point of the 'unless otherwise advised' part of the policy, specifically to cover things like B2Bs (I think you get a letter in your cabin advising you of the issues like customs requirements and muster drills, correct?). There's also an exception that can be granted for a person under medical care among others.

What I couldn't find out was if you change cabins to one using a different muster station during the B2B do you need to attend.

That I don't know, we've always kept the same cabin. Would be interesting to find out.

Archived