Flights a question.

Stu K

Hi Guys got all my documentation thru and e tickets for flights today. We fly Manchester (UK) to New York then on to Miami. we are with American airlines. My question is do we check in for both flights at Manchester and then not see our bags until Miami? As i have been told we will clear us customs in new York .we have 4 hours between landing and taking off. if we have to collect bags and re check them and clear customs is this enough time not done AA before or JFK for that matter.

Thanks in advance happy cruising.

Stu K

Yes, you will have to claim bags and go thru customs at JFK. The rechecking is more kust dropping them off after customs. It will not be like checking in at the airport.
As I remember, you will have a cart and after claiming your bag, and give your customs form to the officer collecting them on your way to the "in transit" bag drop off right next to the baggage claim area. Porters take your cart or bag and you go on to your gate. It's pretty easy. :)

FYI, it is not like Heathrow where you have to go through Security again when you're in transit. At JFK and other US airports, you're already in the secure area and other than going through Immigration and Customs, you're going from gate to gate.

Thanks for that paul glad its not a full re check in.

Stu K

I can't say for certain about JFK, but in Chicago the system seems to work the same way as described by Pam in Ca and others.

The point I want to make is in Chicago, once you give your bags back to the porters, you then have to re-enter the "Air Side" through security checks. Although Pam in CA said "other US airports", that is not accurate for all US airports. Chicago international arrivals are at a different terminal than domestic arrivals and you end up leaving the Air Side to transit to another terminal. Again, I'm not fully familiar with JFK but the following advice might be valuable for you.

If you've purchased anything in the UK Duty Free that wouldn't be allowed through security (like a 15 year old bottle of Bowmore Mariner), be sure to remove it from your carry-on and pack it in your checked luggage once you've cleared customs.

On American airlines, we flew from Heathrow to Dallas Texas. After we went through immigration and customs, had to do security check again before our flight home to San Diego. I believe the same was true on flight out of Denver on another trip. So not all US airports work the same. Never came back from Europe through New York but have flown to and from there domestically. There are so many terminals there besides the international terminal .

FYI, it is not like Heathrow where you have to go through Security again when you're in transit. At JFK and other US airports, you're already in the secure area and other than going through Immigration and Customs, you're going from gate to gate.

Unfortunately, that is definitely not the case in all US airports. There are many that make you leave the secure area and re-enter, especially if changing terminals. SFO, MIA, LAX, DFW, ORD -- I'm sure there are others where having to go through security again is likely.

For the OP, four hours should be plenty of time unless the first flight is seriously delayed.

As I remember, you will have a cart and after claiming your bag, and give your customs form to the officer collecting them on your way to the "in transit" bag drop off right next to the baggage claim area. Porters take your cart or bag and you go on to your gate. It's pretty easy. :)

It depends on the terminal your flight arrives and departs from. We had to go throught Immigration and Customs and Security again in June when we returned from Rome. You get your bags go to I and C and then recheck - just give them to a baggage person.

Unfortunately, that is definitely not the case in all US airports. There are many that make you leave the secure area and re-enter, especially if changing terminals. SFO, MIA, LAX, DFW, ORD -- I'm sure there are others where having to go through security again is likely.

For the OP, four hours should be plenty of time unless the first flight is seriously delayed.

Add Seatlle and Denver to the list.

At every airport I have re-entered the US, I have had to go through security again for a connecting flight.

This has been true at LAX, MPS, ORD, DET, MIA, CLT, PHL and others.

When you first check in, be SURE your bags are ticketed all the way to your destination. When we left London this year, ours were not and it did not occur to me that we had a problem until we were on the plane. We had to recheck after customs instead of just dropping them off.

When we went through Newark we cleared passport control, collected luggage, then went round the corner and handed them over to a handler to be transferred to next flight. We then just went to find our new gate and await flight.

Always good to know that at least your luggage has made it across the Atlantic!:)

When you first check in, be SURE your bags are ticketed all the way to your destination. When we left London this year, ours were not and it did not occur to me that we had a problem until we were on the plane. We had to recheck after customs instead of just dropping them off.

It is always a good idea to be familiar with the airport code of your final destination. Some are easy, such as JFK,LAX,but some are more obscure like ORD for O'Hare in Chicago. Always check that your baggage tag has your baggage going to the final destination.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived